PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ALSA disappears after trying to fix headphone issue

unicornz
November 19th, 2011, 01:45 AM
After upgrading to 11.10 today, I found that my laptop speakers no longer automuted when I plugged in my headphones. I had this issue in Narwhal, but was able to find a workaround.

I tried this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9298037&postcount=6) and now I can't even open alsamixer. When I type sudo alsamixer into the terminal I get this error message:

cannot open mixer: no such file or directory

I'm getting no sound whatsoever now, and in "Sound" preferences the soundcard isn't showing up. I'm seeing a "Dummy Output" instead.

Help??

mikewhatever
November 19th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Have you really downgraded to Alsa 1.0.23? Oneiric has a newer Alsa 1.0.24.1, which should have better audio hardware support.

PS: Alsamixer shold not be run with sudo.

unicornz
November 19th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Have you really downgraded to Alsa 1.0.23? Oneiric has a newer Alsa 1.0.24.1, which should have better audio hardware support.

PS: Alsamixer shold not be run with sudo.

Yeah, I didn't check carefully to see that the fix from the link was using the correct version of alsa... :( Stupid. At this point I think I should uninstall and reinstall. Even if I do, I'm annoyed that I'm going to have to find a new headphone jack workaround.

I've used the terminal to open alsamixer for a year now... works every time. Sudo or no sudo.