PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] First Ubuntu install

Snipeya
November 18th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Noob alert. I'm currently using Windows Vista and I have never used anything other than windows os's. I really want to try Ubuntu but I'm scared of breaking something or not knowing how to use it and not being able to get Windows back. I'm not great with computers but I'll try anything once! Should I download it to disc and buy a cheap computer to try it on or can I run it while still keeping windows. Thanks in advance guys, Danny

darkod
November 18th, 2011, 11:18 PM
The easiest way to simply try it, is downloading the ISO image, burning a cd with it, and then booting the computer with that cd.
There will be a menu asking whether you want to Try Ubuntu or Install. If you select Try it will load a functional ubuntu from the cd. No changes are made to your hard disk.
Ubuntu includes lots of software by default, you will be able to use Firefox, Libre Office, etc from the live mode. Internet should work with almost any wired connections, for wireless it works for some immediately, for others doesn't, depending on your wireless card.

When you are ready to install ask questions first what is the best way to do it, also there are many manuals on the internet if you google around.

codethulhu
November 18th, 2011, 11:30 PM
I would agree with darkod. The best way to learn is to just try it. Ubuntu makes it simple and easy for beginners. It was the first linux distro I tried and I've been using linux ever since.

Let us know how it goes. :)

dolphin194
November 18th, 2011, 11:50 PM
The Linux world is great. I started with Fedora about 3 years ago, and decided that I didn't like it very much. Then I switched to Ubuntu and literally fell in love with it! Ubuntu is a great distribution, and I hope you will like it.

Just like the other two said, simply play around with Linux. Try different ones and decide which one you like the most. Even though most people say the Linux is difficult, it really isn't. It's just different from Windows.

Snipeya
November 19th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Wow, downloaded it onto cd and I love it, it looks great, I'm actually using it to write this ;) I think I want to install it and keep windows as I don't think I can use things like i tunes. Does it take up much room as I only have about 6gb on C: but my D: drive has loads of room about 60+gb. Thanks for your help so far :razz:

darkod
November 19th, 2011, 01:03 PM
It can be installed in as little as 4GB but it's better to have 10-15GB.
It doesn't install on ntfs partitions, so you will have to shrink D: to make space.
In Vista you can open Disk Management and shrink D: for 15GB for example. Or 20GB if you don't need that space.
After shrinking reboot vista few times because it might need to run some disk checks. Do not create any partitions in the unallocated space created from windows.

Then boot with the ubuntu cd and select to Install it. It should offer option to install into the unallocated space existing. And that should be it.

Renntag
November 19th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Go for it and never look back. Using a cd or a thumb drive, drop it in and enjoy a live demo. This really is a wonderful creation. Once you run it you have options of what to do. You can even install in windows as if it were another application. Completely benign to your existing system. I just did an install of 11.10 on my wife's laptop "alongside" the existing windows OS with no effect to the system. On boot up she can select what OS to launch. It is seemless.

I am no pro. This was a simple 'follow the promts' install any low level enthusiast can do.

During install I was asked to drag a divider that resprented a virtual partition, allowing me to establish what space was to be used for each OS. Another step even asked me to select the windows profile that should be made available in Ubuntu. Again, just a great product.

Give it a try.

Snipeya
November 20th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Oh dear. I've installed Ubuntu 11.10 but it never asked me how other than at start to install alongside Windows Vista. Now it boots straight to Ubuntu when I start and if I go to boot menu there are 2 options in hard drive but none go to Windows. I created some space by shrinking D: drive by the max 21gb it would allow but the install never asked me if I wanted to save it here. Do I need to remove Ubuntu and start again and if so how would I go about removing it? Yours panicking, Danny

darkod
November 20th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Don't reinstall again, it usually can get you in worse situation.

Boot ubuntu and follow the link in my signature to run the boot info script. Post the results here as explained in that link. That will show more details.

Snipeya
November 20th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Ok I've downloaded the boot info script but now I'm lost I don't know how to extract the zip file as I can't find it and I don't know where to send it after I do find it do I just create a little file on the screen?

sanderd17
November 20th, 2011, 03:44 PM
I hope you use the Unity interface, there are a lot of different interfaces.

You can open the dash (click on the ubuntu icon on the top left) and search "Nautilus". That's the Ubuntu default file manager. Probably another search like "files" will also work.

Now, in Nautilus, go to your Downloads directory. There you should find it. Right click to extract it to your home directory (the directory with your user name).

Now you should be able to follow the other steps.

EDIT:

Oh right, the new Unity interface. There isn't a menu anymore, so you can't open the terminal with Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal. Instead, you can search for terminal, or I believe CTRL+ALT+T still works as hotkey.

darkod
November 20th, 2011, 03:47 PM
The default download location is your Home/Downloads folder. You can always enter your Home with the second icon in the Unity interface on the left side, that has the house icon. That's Home.

Once you find the compressed script in Downloads, just right click on it and select Extract Here...

When it is extracted, and if it is in Downloads, you can execute it with running in terminal:

sudo bash ~/Downloads/boot_info_script*.sh

Type it as it is, linux makes difference between small caps and capitals. You can find terminal by opening the Dashboard (the first icon in Unity or pressing the Super key on the keyboard, with the windows logo) and typing terminal in the search line.

Executing the script will create a results.txt file in the same folder where the script is. Just attach the file here or post the content (copy-paste). If you are pasting the content it's better to include it in code tags, just select the text you want to include and hit the # button in the toolbar above when creating the post.

Snipeya
November 20th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Ok so I've downloaded right clicked and extracted it now I have a file and a zip box, where do I type the sudo bash thing, step by step please I'm absolutely useless!!! lol

darkod
November 20th, 2011, 08:18 PM
It's already answered...

Hit the windows logo key on the keyboard. That open the Dashboard. In the search box type terminal, that will find the program for you and display an icon.
Click it and that opens the Terminal (a command prompt program).
At the command line just type the sudo bash command and hit Enter.
That creates results.txt in the Downloads folder.
Post the content here.

Snipeya
November 20th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Right I think I got you with where to write it so I copy and pasted it in terminal and hit enter. It then says password for me but when I type in my password and hit enter it says no such file or directory

darkod
November 20th, 2011, 08:53 PM
C'mon man, help me out. I'm working blind here...

I am working under the assumption that the script was extracted in the Downloads folder. If it's in different one, the command will need to change, but that's easy to figure out yourself.
Also, I already mentioned earlier that when typing you need to type exactly for linux, it makes difference between Downloads and downloads.
Listen, it's easiest to move it into Home. Just open Home/Downloads and copy the extracted script to your Home folder.
Then in terminal the command would be:

sudo bash ~/boot_info_script*.sh

Make sure you know exactly where it is, also confirm the script name, and adjust the command if needed. The ~ sign means Home, it's the same when typing commands.

sanderd17
November 20th, 2011, 11:21 PM
Right I think I got you with where to write it so I copy and pasted it in terminal and hit enter. It then says password for me but when I type in my password and hit enter it says no such file or directory

It's clearly the first time you use a terminal.

As said above, you need to do

sudo bash /path/to/script/boot_info_script*.sh

Where you fill in the path to your script. (btw, ~/ is short for your home directory, so /home/username). So if it's in your downloads, you do

If it's in your home directory, you do

sudo bash ~/boot_info_script*.sh

etc

If you don't give the right path, and the right file name, it will not find the file you ask. So that's the error you get.

Snipeya
November 21st, 2011, 01:19 PM
Hi Sanderd17 yes I've never used terminal before and I've done what your telling me, it's actually called itself boot_info_script060 and so I tried typing that as well and it comes up with the same results no matter what I type. I found my hard drive and it looks as though it is in the 21gb that I took from D: drive so would it be ok to format that drive wiping ubuntu off and then will I be able to use windows again??

sanderd17
November 22nd, 2011, 09:38 AM
Hi Sanderd17 yes I've never used terminal before and I've done what your telling me, it's actually called itself boot_info_script060 and so I tried typing that as well and it comes up with the same results no matter what I type. I found my hard drive and it looks as though it is in the 21gb that I took from D: drive so would it be ok to format that drive wiping ubuntu off and then will I be able to use windows again??

It's normal you see some terminal output, you can post that here (between CODE tags, click on the #-icon in edit mode). But the most important part should be the file RESULTS.txt that it created. You should also post it here.

Formatting your hdd (or the ubuntu partition) will leave you with a broken MBR. That's probably just as hard to fix as your problem now, so I won't do that.

Snipeya
November 22nd, 2011, 07:52 PM
danny@Danny-Aspire-T180:~$ sudo bash ~/boot_info_script*.sh
[sudo] password for danny:
bash: /home/danny/boot_info_script*.sh: No such file or directory
danny@Danny-Aspire-T180:~$
danny@Danny-Aspire-T180:~$ sudo bash ~/boot_info_script*.sh
bash: /home/danny/boot_info_script*.sh: No such file or directory
danny@Danny-Aspire-T180:~$

Thats all I get no matter what I type :(

darkod
November 22nd, 2011, 08:36 PM
But is it in the Home folder or not?
Try with:

Like we said plenty of times:
1. Locate the extracted script (the .sh file).
2. Copy or move it to Home.
3. Execute it with the command you already tried.

If the script is in different folder you can try all you want, you will always get the same error message.

Snipeya
November 22nd, 2011, 08:53 PM
Boot Info Script 0.60 from 17 May 2011

============================= Boot Info Summary: ===============================

=> Grub2 (v1.99) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks at sector 1 of
the same hard drive for core.img. core.img is at this location and looks
for on this drive.

sda1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: ntfs
Boot sector type: Windows XP
Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
Operating System:
Boot files: /ntldr /ntdetect.com

sda2: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Boot sector type: Windows Vista/7
Operating System: Windows Vista
Boot files: /bootmgr /Boot/BCD /Windows/System32/winload.exe

sda3: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Boot sector type: Windows XP
Operating System:
Boot files:

sda4: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: Extended Partition
Boot sector type: Unknown
Boot sector info:

sda5: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: ext4
Boot sector type: -
Boot sector info:
Operating System: Ubuntu 11.10
Boot files: /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab /boot/grub/core.img

sda6: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: swap
Boot sector type: -
Boot sector info:

============================ Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda __________________________________________________ ___________________

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders, total 312581808 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Partition Boot Start Sector End Sector # of Sectors Id System

/dev/sda1 63 14,329,979 14,329,917 27 Hidden NTFS (Recovery Environment)
/dev/sda2 * 14,329,980 163,814,804 149,484,825 6 FAT16
/dev/sda3 163,814,805 268,065,468 104,250,664 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
/dev/sda4 268,066,814 312,580,095 44,513,282 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 268,066,816 308,912,127 40,845,312 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 308,914,176 312,580,095 3,665,920 82 Linux swap / Solaris

"blkid" output: __________________________________________________ ______________

Device UUID TYPE LABEL

/dev/sda1 E6E41B2116D9B5D2 ntfs PQSERVICE
/dev/sda2 2ED4F4AED4F47A03 ntfs ACER
/dev/sda3 7E784B2D784AE40D ntfs DATA
/dev/sda5 a9d0cd0e-1e08-4a55-8505-28c826b63caf ext4
/dev/sda6 b3036e8c-03c2-4f66-96ad-bb7dedfbc68e swap

================================ Mount points: =================================

Device Mount_Point Type Options

/dev/sda5 / ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro,commit=0)
/dev/sr0 /media/Ubuntu 11.10 i386 iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8, mode=0400,dmode=0500,uhelper=udisks)

=========================== sda5/boot/grub/grub.cfg: ===========================

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
set have_grubenv=true
load_env
fi
set default="0"
if [ "${prev_saved_entry}" ]; then
set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
save_env saved_entry
set prev_saved_entry=
save_env prev_saved_entry
set boot_once=true
fi

function savedefault {
if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then
saved_entry="${chosen}"
save_env saved_entry
fi
}

function recordfail {
set recordfail=1
if [ -n "${have_grubenv}" ]; then if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then save_env recordfail; fi; fi
}

function load_video {
insmod vbe
insmod vga
insmod video_bochs
insmod video_cirrus
}

insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,msdos5)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root a9d0cd0e-1e08-4a55-8505-28c826b63caf
if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
set gfxmode=auto
load_video
insmod gfxterm
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,msdos5)'
set locale_dir=($root)/boot/grub/locale
set lang=en_GB
insmod gettext
fi
terminal_output gfxterm
if [ "${recordfail}" = 1 ]; then
set timeout=-1
else
set timeout=10
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
set menu_color_normal=white/black
set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray
if background_color 44,0,30; then
clear
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
if [ ${recordfail} != 1 ]; then
if [ -e ${prefix}/gfxblacklist.txt ]; then
if hwmatch ${prefix}/gfxblacklist.txt 3; then
if [ ${match} = 0 ]; then
set linux_gfx_mode=keep
else
set linux_gfx_mode=text
fi
else
set linux_gfx_mode=text
fi
else
set linux_gfx_mode=keep
fi
else
set linux_gfx_mode=text
fi
export linux_gfx_mode
if [ "$linux_gfx_mode" != "text" ]; then load_video; fi
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.0.0-12-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
set gfxpayload=$linux_gfx_mode
insmod gzio
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,msdos5)'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-12-generic root=UUID=a9d0cd0e-1e08-4a55-8505-28c826b63caf ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-12-generic
}
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.0.0-12-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
insmod gzio
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,msdos5)'
echo 'Loading Linux 3.0.0-12-generic ...'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-12-generic root=UUID=a9d0cd0e-1e08-4a55-8505-28c826b63caf ro recovery nomodeset
echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-12-generic
}
### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###
### END /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###
menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+)" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,msdos5)'
linux16 /boot/memtest86+.bin
}
menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,msdos5)'
linux16 /boot/memtest86+.bin console=ttyS0,115200n8
}
### END /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
menuentry "Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sda2)" --class windows --class os {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root='(hd0,msdos2)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 2ED4F4AED4F47A03
chainloader +1
}
### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
if [ -f $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
source $prefix/custom.cfg;
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

=============================== sda5/etc/fstab: ================================

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
# / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=a9d0cd0e-1e08-4a55-8505-28c826b63caf / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation
UUID=b3036e8c-03c2-4f66-96ad-bb7dedfbc68e none swap sw 0 0

=================== sda5: Location of files loaded by Grub: ====================

GiB - GB File Fragment(s)

= boot/grub/core.img 1
= boot/grub/grub.cfg 1
= boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-12-generic 3
= boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-12-generic 1
= initrd.img 3
= vmlinuz 1

======================== Unknown MBRs/Boot Sectors/etc: ========================

Unknown BootLoader on sda4

00000000 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d |M..M..M..M..M..M|
00000010 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d |..M..M..M..M..M.|
00000020 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f |.M..M..M..M..M..|
00000030 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d |M..M..M..M..M..M|
00000040 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d |..M..M..M..M..M.|
00000050 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f |.M..M..M..M..M..|
00000060 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d |M..M..M..M..M..M|
00000070 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d |..M..M..M..M..M.|
00000080 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f |.M..M..M..M..M..|
00000090 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d |M..M..M..M..M..M|
000000a0 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d |..M..M..M..M..M.|
000000b0 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f |.M..M..M..M..M..|
000000c0 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d |M..M..M..M..M..M|
000000d0 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d |..M..M..M..M..M.|
000000e0 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f |.M..M..M..M..M..|
000000f0 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d |M..M..M..M..M..M|
00000100 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d |..M..M..M..M..M.|
00000110 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f |.M..M..M..M..M..|
00000120 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d |M..M..M..M..M..M|
00000130 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d |..M..M..M..M..M.|
00000140 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f |.M..M..M..M..M..|
00000150 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d |M..M..M..M..M..M|
00000160 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d |..M..M..M..M..M.|
00000170 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f |.M..M..M..M..M..|
00000180 4d 9d 8f 4d 9c 8e 4c 9e 90 4e 9d 8f 4d 9a 8c 4a |M..M..L..N..M..J|
00000190 9d 8f 4d a0 92 50 98 8a 48 8e 80 3e ad 9f 64 00 |..M..P..H..>..d.|
000001a0 a2 94 52 8c 7e 3c ab 9d 5b 9d 8f 4d a1 93 51 99 |..R.~<..[..M..Q.|
000001b0 8b 49 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 9d 8f 4d 00 fe |.I..M..M..M..M..|
000001c0 ff ff 83 fe ff ff 02 00 00 00 00 40 6f 02 00 fe |...........@o...|
000001d0 ff ff 05 fe ff ff df 46 6f 02 23 f1 37 00 00 00 |.......Fo.#.7...|
000001e0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 |................|
000001f0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 55 aa |..............U.|

========= Devices which don't seem to have a corresponding hard drive: =========

sdb sdc sdd sde

=============================== StdErr Messages: ===============================

unlzma: Decoder error
awk: cmd. line:36: Math support is not compiled in

Snipeya
November 22nd, 2011, 08:56 PM
Now I get you, can you tell me everything step by step I moved the first bit to home but never did the sh file!!! Bare in mind I have no idea what I'm doing !!!

darkod
November 22nd, 2011, 09:08 PM
/dev/sda2 * 14,329,980 163,814,804 149,484,825 6 FAT16

This looks like your problem. Somehow the type of the Vista partition has changed to FAT16. It should probably be NTFS.
Usually if this happens in error, the files are there, just the partition is wrongly marked in the partition table.

But I have no big experience in changing partition types without losing the data so you might wanna wait for second opinion with more instructions.

Let me search for some options.

darkod
November 22nd, 2011, 09:34 PM
Sorry, but I have nothing to suggest that will be fairly simple and guarantee your data. Maybe someone else will jump in if they have some advice.

Snipeya
November 22nd, 2011, 11:18 PM
Would this help I have no idea ?? http://www.ntfs.com/bootdisk_partitionrecovery.htm

darkod
November 22nd, 2011, 11:34 PM
Not sure, it says it's for deleted partitions which your isn't. Plus it's not a free solution, you pay for it.

One free tool, and very popular, is Testdisk:
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

But it's very powerful and you need to take care with it. That's why I didn't suggest it.

Basically you need to tell it to scan your hdd, and if it discovers the second partition (/dev/sda2) as NTFS tell it to write (save) the changes. And that's it.

But be careful because by selecting wrong options things can go really wrong. And I haven't used it lot, so don't ask me to tell you step by step, too big responsibility. :) Not looking at your computer I can't tell you what to press.

sanderd17
November 23rd, 2011, 12:18 AM
Maybe it's good to ask the advise of Oldfred on this. I'll see if he's willing to answer.

MG&TL
November 23rd, 2011, 12:30 AM
@snipeya-I sympathise, but you'll be OK. Done this before and something pulled it through. Nine times out of ten on these forums these cases are solved satisfactorarily.

Just a 'chin-up' post. :)

oldfred
November 23rd, 2011, 12:43 AM
I have seen just changing the type with Disk Utility work and I know the sfdisk export & re-import work.

Either way I would back up partition table first.

Backup partition table to text file & save to external device.
sudo sfdisk -d /dev/sda > PTsda.txt

I notes are for this with a change to type 83 for a Linux partition. Not sure if it is 07 or blank 7 or just 7.
# to change sda2 to type 7
sudo sfdisk --change-id /dev/sda 2 7

If using Disk Utility it is 0x07 for NTFS.

Snipeya
November 25th, 2011, 12:13 AM
Well I've sorted it. Done a fresh install of windows which left me with about 500 mb left on C:. Removed partition saved all my photos to disk and then deleted everything else of the computer and its like a brand new computer... literally!

MG&TL
November 25th, 2011, 01:51 AM
...pleased you sorted it. What became of ubuntu?

Snipeya
November 27th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Ubuntu is gone for the moment hoping to get a cheap laptop in the future to install it and play around with it ;)