PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Edit power/settings menu in Unity

jose lourenco
November 18th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Hey there,

Is there any way of manually editing the power/settings in Unity?
(Ubuntu 11.10, top right corner menu)

Here is my problem:

Hibernate does not work via this menu, but it does using "hibernate --force" on a shell. Ive been hibernating the machine using a keyboard shortcut and would like either to EDIT or REMOVE the hibernate/suspend option in the menu since both do not work.

Any ideas?
thanks

gordintoronto
November 18th, 2011, 11:48 PM
In my experience, starting from Hibernate takes just as long as a cold boot, so there's no benefit to it. Suspend should work, if your swap file is larger than your RAM.

Is this a laptop or desktop? On my laptop, I close the lid, it suspends, open it, it starts up in just a few seconds.

And yes, there is a way to edit the settings, but I don't think it changes what appears in the menu.

jose lourenco
November 19th, 2011, 01:58 AM
hey there

its a netbook and suspend does not work, the ATI driver for Radeon HD is messed up, never got it to run in any distro i ever tried

i use hibernate-disk cause it takes about 10 seconds to startup, much faster than a normal boot...

so the question is not how to make it work, hibernate-disk is fine with me, i was just wondering if i could change the option in the menu or the system default which seems to run hibernate-ram instead...

Frogs Hair
November 19th, 2011, 02:40 AM
I think the package is indicator-power , but it looks like an all in one package and I don't know if removing it will cause other problems .

Install the configuration editor below if not already and look for check boxes for the items to be removed . I didn't see any .
sudo apt-get install dconf-tools

jose lourenco
November 19th, 2011, 03:11 AM
hi again

i looked into gconf and solved the problem

there were some options on what actions to do when pressing suspend/hibernate/power keys

i changed all that said "suspend" to "hibernate", this resulted in making the menu entry execute hibernate-disk instead of hibernate-ram

thanks a lot.