PDA

View Full Version : Paid support question

Neill_R
November 18th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Hi

Now sort of solved by purchase of another PC.

I have a system I can not get working in UBUNTU 10.04 and as yet have had no replies to my posts.

Asked for hardware details

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11462034
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1882448

My system is UBUNTU 10.04 LTS.
My Hardware is PACKARD BELL I-Media 1328/1 2GB RAM 500 GB HD.
Monitors E171FPb and HP S2231a.
In windows Xp the system works just fine albeit at 1024x768.
The VGA outputs are from the SIS motherboard and a PCI Diamond Steath 64 card S3.
In Linux I either have to boot into recovery console low resolution single screen on the S3 card
or switch cards in the xorg.conf file, so that after BIOS boot on S3 the SIS becomes the active screen
and the S3 becomes the extended desktop.
I also have had to use the vesa driver not the s3 driver as determined by Xorg --configure.
S3 drive fails EE RAMDAC probe failure.
I have been asking for help from the forum as to why my mouse movement will freeze the system but have not,
as yet had any replies. Google had given me lots to read but no clear insight into how or what to do to fix it.

I am wondering if £88 buys one real support. What is your opinion and or experience of their support.

Rubi1200
November 18th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Moved to the cafe; hopefully you will receive some useful answers.

szymon_g
November 18th, 2011, 11:34 PM
it would be helpful if you would mention what kind of hardware you have got...

3Miro
November 18th, 2011, 11:38 PM
If it is a matter of setting up the system, then the support people should be able to help. If it is a matter of not having drivers, then they will not write drivers for you. For example, if you have an Intel Sandy Bridge integrated graphics, then those will not work with 10.04 regardless of whether or not you pay.

meh_phistopheles
November 19th, 2011, 01:43 AM
so far it seems like your problem is poor communication. how is anyone supposed to fix your problem if you don't say what it is?

Neill_R
November 19th, 2011, 01:43 AM
My system is UBUNTU 10.04 LTS.
My Hardware is PACKARD BELL I-Media 1328/1 2GB RAM 500 GB HD.
Monitors E171FPb and HP S2231a.
In windows Xp the system works just fine albeit at 1024x768.
The VGA outputs are from the SIS motherboard and a PCI Diamond Steath 64 card S3.
In Linux I either have to boot into recovery console low resolution single screen on the S3 card or switch cards in the xorg.conf file, so that after BIOS boot on S3 the SIS becomes the active screen and the S3 becomes the extended desktop.
I also have had to use the vesa driver not the s3 driver as determined by Xorg --configure. S3 drive fails EE RAMDAC probe failure.

I have been asking for help from the forum as to why my mouse movement will freeze the system but have not as yet had any replies. Google had given me lots to read but no clear insight into how or what to do to fix it.

3rdalbum
November 19th, 2011, 05:25 AM
Easy solution: Remove the SiS graphics or disable it. Buy a real graphics card - something really cheap from Nvidia, or a cheap current ATI card will solve all your problems.

A lot cheaper than 88 pounds, might I add.

Neill_R
November 19th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Can't remove SIS it is Motherboard graphic the S3 is removable.

Anyhow I hate to give up but i have got another card a AGP dual port DVI and VGA card by buying a second hand PC all works and the monitors are detected too. Nvidia Geforce Fx 5700 @128MB. It also means I get to have 3GB RAM PC useful for running virtualbox

But it is sad that I could not determine how to stop the mouse from freezing the system when nearly everthing else appeared that it would be working. Thinking in the spirit of Ubuntu that there are others that do not have options to get additional hardware.

cariboo
November 19th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Back during the Lucid development cycle, there was talk about SIS creating a new driver, but nothing ever came of it, as far as I know. You may want to contact them about your problem, as paying Canonical for support on something they have no control over would be throwing good money away.

3Miro
November 19th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Back during the Lucid development cycle, there was talk about SIS creating a new driver, but nothing ever came of it, as far as I know. You may want to contact them about your problem, as paying Canonical for support on something they have no control over would be throwing good money away.

+1. If it is an issue with bad driver, then Canonical cannot do anything about it.