PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] after up grade to 11.10 cannot login to graphical mode

Mount
November 18th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Hi All,

I upgraded to 11.10 last night and all was fine. Could restart and use the machine as usual. When finished I put the computer to sleep and when I returned I found it still on (as determined by the fan) but totally unresponsive. After pulling the power and restarting I cannot login to graphical mode. I get to the login screen as usual but after submitting my password I am presented with a terminal which occupies a small square portion of the up left of the screen. I can launch nautilus and firefox from the command line bu then are economy versions of their former selves.

I don't know how to phrase this problem to search for a solution on my own so any help woudld be most welcome.

thanks,

update: after reading http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1881928 I have checked and I don't appear to have a swap space allocated. The drive I am working on is a clone of an old one and the swaps were not cloned it would appear. I tried to use gparted to reforaat the now unallocated space which was formally the swap but it gives an unspecified error.

Mount
November 18th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Ok, the solution is to select gnome from the login setting NOT the recovery-console. I am due to be shot within the hour.

good bye sweet life