PDA

View Full Version : how to gain weight?

anaconda
November 18th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Does anyone have any good tips on how to gain weight? (or at least keep the current weight)

I haven't been paying much attention on eating during the last month. Been having too much fun. And so I lost a bit over 1kg/week (1kg=2.2lbs)

Damn. And I even went to "eat as much as you like" buffets 3 times during the month.

Don't like junk food too much. Feels bad after eating, and my skin doesn't like it either. Gets "greasy". So some other solution would be better... Oh jeah. I dont like to drink beer either..

How do you gain weight? Hints? tips?

Grenage
November 18th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Eat more of the right stuff; that's all there is to it.

whatthefunk
November 18th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Eat and go to the gym to lift.

Paqman
November 18th, 2011, 02:11 PM
From the sound of it your problem isn't gaining weight, it's lifestyle choices which cause you to not maintain your normal weight. Just throttle back on that (or at least make time to eat properly) and your weight will return to what it should be in time.

I went through a stage of going out and partying a bit too hard, and ended up pretty skinny. But you've got to look after yourself, you can't keep that kind of stuff up forever without crashing out. Doesn't mean you have to stop having fun, just be a bit more smart about it.

haqking
November 18th, 2011, 02:11 PM
It depends on what type of weight you want to gain, there is a difference between fat weight and muscle weight and water weight. (and also remember that weight is purely a measurement of the earths gravity upon a given mass)

Weight gain itself is fairly simple in that you consume more calories than you burn.

3500 calories = 1 lb of weight thereabouts.

How that weight is carried depends on what you eat and the activity types and levels of your lifestyle.

If you eat alot of protein and lift weights you will gain muscle, muscle is denser than fat, but you need carb for raw energy to lift the weight. By gaining muscle you will gain weight but conversely lose weight as to hold muscle burns fat so it balances itself out.

Weight gain and loss is very simple actually (regardless of people who say they cant gain or lose) what is needed to have a clearly defined goal and adjust habits to suit and it is easily achieved.

forrestcupp
November 18th, 2011, 02:26 PM
If you don't care if it's fat, eat lots of carbs. Sometimes people don't realize they're not getting carbs, and they accidentally lose weight.

Drink lots of Pepsi and Mountain Dew, and not diet. When I switched from drinking sodas to water, I started losing weight without making any other changes. You wouldn't believe the amount of sugar in a soda.

Also, if you're young, just give yourself time, and you'll wonder how to lose weight. I was made fun of my whole life for being skinny. But now that I'm in my late 30's, I'm slightly overweight. It just happens.

Linuxratty
November 18th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Eat a healthy diet and don't worry about your weight. As you get older, you WILL gain weight...Better to stay on the slim side while you can.

thatguruguy
November 18th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Eat a healthy diet and don't worry about your weight. As you get older, you WILL gain weight...Better to stay on the slim side while you can.

I'm 44, 6'2" (~1.9 m) and approximately 180 lbs. (~82 kg). I weight the same now as I did when I was 22. Weight gain is not inevitable.

EDIT: Actually, I weighed a little more when I was 25 then I do now. Back then, I was heavily into martial arts, worked out all the time, and drank lots of protein shakes to keep my weight up. I tried to keep between 185-190 back then, because I fought heavyweight in the tournaments I went to (mostly because the guy who owned the dojo where I went fought middleweight and insisted that I fight in a higher weight class because he didn't want to fight me).

Paqman
November 18th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Drink lots of Pepsi and Mountain Dew, and not diet.

Are you trolling? This is terrible advice. They're just caffeine and sugar. Drink some if you want, but not lots.

dh04000
November 18th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Uhhhhhhh.... just eat more? If you eat enough of anything you'll gain weight. Even fruits and vegetables can cause weight gain, but starches are you best friend to gain weight(Don't I know it....). Anything with grams upon grams of sugar in any form will do it.

forrestcupp
November 18th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Are you trolling? This is terrible advice. They're just caffeine and sugar. Drink some if you want, but not lots.

He asked how to gain weight, and that's a good way to gain weight. You did notice that I prefaced everything I said with "If you don't care if it's fat", didn't you?

odiseo77
November 18th, 2011, 03:31 PM

I agree with this, and I say it for my own experience (not that I'm fat, but I weight like 4 or 5 kgs more than I should).

ratcheer
November 18th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I am assuming you are a male. If so, to gain weight you need more exercise and a regular, healthy diet, as mentioned in several posts above. It sounds like you are one of those types of people who forget to eat.

The best exercise for weight gain is heavy weightlifting. Work up to it, though. Don't try to do it all at once. Five basic lifts will increase your strength (and, therefore, muscle mass), rapidly. In order of importance, dead lifts, squats, bent over rowing, bench press, and military press. For the first two, proper form is extremely important, so make sure you learn from a qualified source. Or, you will hurt yourself.

For the healthy diet, you need plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein (meats, fish, and poultry).

Good luck. If you try, you can see noticeable results in six months.

Tim

Swagman
November 18th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I'll swap you

My metabolism for yours !!

It's a good deal really.. This Gut of mine cost thousands and is all paid for up front !!

MG&TL
November 18th, 2011, 03:44 PM
I sympathise with the OP-some people's metabolisms are just different.

I am often too thin, and have to put some effort into not doing so much and eating more fatty stuff.

My mate is really, freakily, thin, and he eats continuously. I think the answer is eat what feels right for you, and that's probably the right weight for you.

Have fun, whatever you do, and don't get too bogged down about it.

anaconda
November 18th, 2011, 05:21 PM
I am assuming you are a male. If so, to gain weight you need more exercise and a regular, healthy diet, as mentioned in several posts above. It sounds like you are one of those types of people who forget to eat.

For the healthy diet, you need plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein (meats, fish, and poultry).
Tim

You guessed right. I do sometimes forget to eat. :)
I have some back problems, so weight lifting might not be too good for me. At least I have to be extra careful.

Thanks for the hints.

anaconda
November 18th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Thank you all for the helpful hints.

I will try to drink more cola, and also eat more healthy stuff.

It seems there are no magic solutions. Just have to try to eat more and exercise.

haqking
November 18th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Thank you all for the helpful hints.

I will try to drink more cola, and also eat more healthy stuff.

It seems there are no magic solutions. Just have to try to eat more and exercise.

drink more cola and eat more healthy is a contradiction...LOL

Eat quality and train quality = gain quality !

snowpine
November 18th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Assuming you are looking to gain healthy weight, let me tell you what worked for me:

1. Exercise!!!
2. Reduce frequency of meals (I eat 2 big meals a day rather than 3 medium) as this will slow your metabolism
3. Keep a food journal and make note of foods that make you feel especially good/bad. In my case I realized that bread/pasta/crackers/etc. made me feel terrible and I gained 15 pounds after cutting wheat out of my diet! Foods that "agree with you" will stay in your system longer, therefore you will extract more calories and nutrients from the same quantity of food.

Good luck! :)

forrestcupp
November 18th, 2011, 06:05 PM
I love how when people want to lose weight, they're told to eat healthy and exercise. Then when someone wants to gain weight, he's told to eat healthy and exercise.

Let's be honest here, folks. If you want to gain weight, you need to eat unhealthy and don't exercise. You will gain weight, but you will be unhealthy. Which one do you want?

haqking
November 18th, 2011, 06:06 PM
I love how when people want to lose weight, they're told to eat healthy and exercise. Then when someone wants to gain weight, he's told to eat healthy and exercise.

Let's be honest here, folks. If you want to gain weight, you need to eat unhealthy and don't exercise. You will gain weight, but you will be unhealthy. Which one do you want?

That is not strictly true, there are different types of weight.

muscle is denser and so weighs more than fat for a given mass, holding muscle burns fat, you lose fat weight, gain muscle weight through exercise and diet

lisati
November 18th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Lifestyle, diet, age and metabolism have all been mentioned. Prior to hooking up with Mrs Lisati (a few days ago we celebrated our 19th wedding anniversary) I ate less, walked more, and was a lot skinnier than I am now. I suspect that for me the adjustments to lifestyle and diet have been the biggest contributors to an unhealthily bulging waste line and a couple of health issues.

Swagman
November 18th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Lifestyle, diet, age and metabolism have all been mentioned. Prior to hooking up with Mrs Lisati (a few days ago we celebrated our 19th wedding anniversary) I ate less, walked more, and was a lot skinnier than I am now. I suspect that for me the adjustments to lifestyle and diet have been the biggest contributors to an unhealthily bulging waste line and a couple of health issues.

Indeed.. That's called contentment

I've been married nearly 25 years... And you're right.. Before that I was a skinny runt

haqking
November 18th, 2011, 06:37 PM

I've been married nearly 25 years... And you're right.. Before that I was a skinny runt

yeah but have you noticed we get out of shape due to contentment but our wives spend all day doing yoga, spin classes, aerobics, dieting...

mmmm i think they are telling us something..lol

Swagman
November 18th, 2011, 06:42 PM
lol

Now you mention it !!

haqking
November 18th, 2011, 06:45 PM
lol

Now you mention it !!

actually i phrased that like i was married, but i am now happily divorced instead, and i think she has quit yoga now...LOL

wolfen69
November 18th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Eat more bacon!

lisati
November 18th, 2011, 06:50 PM

I'm not sure that "contentment" is the word I'd use but it does express some of what's going on for us. :D

Stovey
November 18th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Drink a gallon of milk each day!

MG&TL
November 18th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Eat more bacon!

That. Love bacon, still haven't decided if I prefer it crispy or juicy.

forrestcupp
November 18th, 2011, 07:25 PM
yeah but have you noticed we get out of shape due to contentment but our wives spend all day doing yoga, spin classes, aerobics, dieting...

mmmm i think they are telling us something..lolThe only thing it tells me is that we can be fat and lazy, and still have hot wives. :)

Eat more bacon!
Indeed.. That's called contentment ;)

ratcheer
November 18th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I have some back problems, so weight lifting might not be too good for me. At least I have to be extra careful.

Thanks for the hints.

You are welcome. And, I agree, weightlifting may not be the best thing for you. Maybe walking would help, but it takes an awful lot of time. Any exercise that you can enjoy without hurting yourself will be a definite plus.

Good luck,
Tim

ratcheer
November 18th, 2011, 07:30 PM
That is not strictly true, there are different types of weight.

muscle is denser and so weighs more than fat for a given mass, holding muscle burns fat, you lose fat weight, gain muscle weight through exercise and diet

Precisely so.

Tim

Elfy
November 18th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Indeed.. That's called contentment ;)

Eat more bacon!

You beat me to that one ... :D

MG&TL
November 18th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Third hit on google search for 'eat more bacon':

http://www.mrbaconpants.com/pregnant-women-need-to-eat-more-bacon/

...okay. :shock:

lotharmat
November 18th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Since all foods (except sugar and oil) contain protein; forget about that and concentrate on the other 2 macro-nutrients - Fat and Carb.

To gain weight; you need to raise your insulin (the fattening hormone) whilst eating fat.

To do this, base your meals on starchy foods; bread, pasta, rice etc. and have fatty meats with them. - Or just follow the USDA guidelines (if you live in North America) or the BDA's guidelines if you are in the UK!

Both of these countries changed their dietary advice (America first in 1980 and Britain 2nd in 1983) to "Base your meals on starchy foods an reduce fat intake"

What has happened since then?? An obesity epidemic in both countries!

ratcheer
November 18th, 2011, 07:45 PM

Yes. That was Dr. Atkins's main point.

Tim

haqking
November 18th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Since all foods (except sugar and oil) contain protein; forget about that and concentrate on the other 2 macro-nutrients - Fat and Carb.

To gain weight; you need to raise your insulin (the fattening hormone) whilst eating fat.

To do this, base your meals on starchy foods; bread, pasta, rice etc. and have fatty meats with them. - Or just follow the USDA guidelines (if you live in North America) or the BDA's guidelines if you are in the UK!

Both of these countries changed their dietary advice (America first in 1980 and Britain 2nd in 1983) to "Base your meals on starchy foods an reduce fat intake"

all foods containing protein is not really valid, as in not protein considered food they are only trace amounts.

also it is not only oils and sugar, there is also vinegars, fat free mayo, and some sauces...according to the USDA anyways but thats all pedantics.

There is a big difference between protein based foods such as meat and potato which is a starch carb but also contains protein trace.

lotharmat
November 18th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Dr Atkins was right!

I ditched the carbs and lost 43lbs and have easily kept them off for over a year - I'm loving the slim me and the wife does too! ;)

To lose weight: Just Eat Real Food and manage carb intake!

To Gain weight: JERF but OD on the carbs!

hhh
November 18th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Why oh why oh why would anyone go looking for health advice on a computer forum? Consult a nutritionist, a weight trainer and your local library.

You really are suggesting an unhealthy lifestyle. I'm astonished, you are being highly irresponsible. Plus, your statement above about needing to eat unhealthy and not exercise to put on weight is false, that's one of two options, but shouldn't even be considered due to the risk of heart stress, diabetes, etc...

Eating regular, healthy meals and exercising regularly leads to a healthy weight. When someone is significantly overweight or underweight, they are also at an unhealthy weight (there are health risks for being too thin as well). That's why the same prescription (sort of, you would do a different diet and excercise plan for weight loss) works for both ailments.

The healthy way to gain weight is to lift weights to put on muscle mass and to eat more proteins to help muscle growth.

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-build-muscle-mass-guide/

-edit- By lifting free weights 4 times a week, 1 to 1 1/2 hours each time while increasing your calorie intake, you can expect to put on about 15 lbs. of muscle mass the first year (results vary highly from person to person).

http://www.livestrong.com/article/319061-the-timeline-for-building-muscle/

You need to consult a doctor and a weight trainer to see what type of exercise plan your back can handle. I'm surprised your doctor hasn't already recommended an exercise routine to help strengthen your back.

forrestcupp
November 18th, 2011, 09:43 PM

What has happened since then?? An obesity epidemic in both countries!Finally someone agrees with what I said earlier about carbs.

You really are suggesting an unhealthy lifestyle. I'm astonished, you are being highly irresponsible. Plus, your statement above about needing to eat unhealthy and not exercise to put on weight is false, that's one of two options, but shouldn't even be considered due to the risk of heart stress, diabetes, etc...You did read the last thing I said, right?

You will gain weight, but you will be unhealthy. Which one do you want?
What I said wasn't false. You'll gain weight, but you'll be unhealthy. That's true.

If people are going to suggest a healthy diet and exercise, they need to be more clear, because that's also advice for losing weight. A healthy diet means a balanced diet, not becoming a vegetarian.

Also, what kind of exercise are you talking about? Cardio and aerobic exercises are great ways to lose weight, not gain. You can tone your muscles that way, but you will never build your muscles with cardio and aerobic exercise. The only way to actually gain weight with exercise is with lifting and muscle building exercises. You also have to keep in mind that usually when you begin a muscle building exercise regimen, you will lose more weight before you start gaining muscle weight. You have to stick with it.

I'm not stupid. I just know that ambiguously saying healthy diet and exercise can do more damage than good if you don't explain exactly what kinds of healthy diets and exercise will work.

I also know that gaining weight the unhealthy way is much, much faster than doing it the healthy way. If you don't believe me, just ask actors how they quickly put on a huge amount of weight when they need to alter their appearance for a movie.

snowpine
November 18th, 2011, 09:48 PM
A healthy diet means a balanced diet, not becoming a vegetarian.

Well hold on a second there... vegetarian diet can be healthy or unhealthy, balanced or unbalanced, help you gain weight or lose weight...

hhh
November 18th, 2011, 09:57 PM
@forrest, I know you're not stupid and I did read your statement about it being unhealthy. But read your post again, you make a blanket statement which is false, then supporting statements implying that your previous statement is the only option...
If you want to gain weight, you need to eat unhealthy and don't exercise.False.
You will gain weight, but you will be unhealthy. Which one do you want?Neither, he wants to put on weight and be healthier, which is completely possible.

forrestcupp
November 18th, 2011, 11:09 PM
@forrest, I know you're not stupid and I did read your statement about it being unhealthy. But read your post again, you make a blanket statement which is false, then supporting statements implying that your previous statement is the only option...
My intent wasn't to make a blanket statement and imply that it is the only way. I was merely presenting another option, which happens to be the most common conception of how you put on pounds. You lose weight by eating healthy and exercise; therefore, you gain weight by doing the opposite. It's not the best option, but it is the most common idea of how to gain weight, and definitely the quickest way to do it. Usually the quick way is not the best way.

My real intent was to point out that the blanket statement of "eat healthy and exercise" will do a lot to achieve the opposite results if it's not done right.

Rococoloco
November 19th, 2011, 12:29 AM
Forget what everyone said here, the advice is just terrible, if you do drink gallons of Pepsi, tons of bacon and litres of milk you'll end up with a lot more than just a few pounds... diabetes, heart disease and a whole host of other problems.

Lots and lots and lots of vegetables are a good place to start, all your green and some starches like potatoes.

Loads and loads for nuts, keep them with you and snack on them all day, the best ones are brazil nuts, almonds and walnuts, have a hand full of each.

Seeds, sunflower and pumpkin, pumpkin is especially good for prostate health and larger semen loads, sunflower full of vitamin e, both great for the skin and the immune system.

You could always buy a good quality, organic tahini and have three teaspoons in the morning and before bed at night, no only is it delicious and full of protein, calcium and magnesium, but loaded with calories.

Avocado, eat two everyday, in pitta bread with loads of salad and veggies, full of good fats and vitamins, buy loads and keep them at room temperature, use them as they ripen.

Humous, liberally on everything, on crackers, oatcakes, pita bread, on its own.

Coconut milk, buy very good quality one, Biona is a good brand, get from your local health food shop, have a few coconut curries a week, add to soup with spices for a kick, make a smoothy in the morning with berries and banana.

Make sure to keep your blood sugar balanced during the whole process, don't just binge on sugar, you'll feel dreadful and damage your health, do it the right way, you'll look better and feel better.

lisati
November 19th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Any exercise that you can enjoy without hurting yourself will be a definite plus.
I agree. I'm usually happier when I combine a walk with doing something useful like going to the supermarket, rather than getting bored silly on a treadmill.

haqking
November 19th, 2011, 12:33 AM
Forget what everyone said here, the advice is just terrible, if you do drink gallons of Pepsi, tons of bacon and litres of milk you'll end up with a lot more than just a few pounds... diabetes, heart disease and a whole host of other problems.

Lots and lots and lots of vegetables are a good place to start, all your green and some starches like potatoes.

Loads and loads for nuts, keep them with you and snack on them all day, the best ones are brazil nuts, almonds and walnuts, have a hand full of each.

Seeds, sunflower and pumpkin, pumpkin is especially good for prostate health and larger semen loads, sunflower full of vitamin e, both great for the skin and the immune system.

You could always buy a good quality, organic tahini and have three teaspoons in the morning and before bed at night, no only is it delicious and full of protein, calcium and magnesium, but loaded with calories.

Avocado, eat two everyday, in pitta bread with loads of salad and veggies, full of good fats and vitamins, buy loads and keep them at room temperature, use them as they ripen.

Humous, liberally on everything, on crackers, oatcakes, pita bread, on its own.

Coconut milk, buy very good quality one, Biona is a good brand, get from your local health food shop, have a few coconut curries a week, add to soup with spices for a kick, make a smoothy in the morning with berries and banana.

Make sure to keep your blood sugar balanced during the whole process, don't just binge on sugar, you'll feel dreadful and damage your health, do it the right way, you'll look better and feel better.

not all the advice here is terrible, and your plan though healthy will not necessarily see a dramatic gain in weight. And is an extreme change of normal diet for some people.

Rococoloco
November 19th, 2011, 12:45 AM
not all the advice here is terrible, and your plan though healthy will not necessarily see a dramatic gain in weight. And is an extreme change of normal diet for some people.

Ok, so slight generalisation on my part, but most of it ignores health at the expense of gain, sure if you want to gain weight and don't care about going blind from diabetic retinopathy, then by all means, binge on carbs and guzzle down Coke.

Well, it might seem extreme but none of what I said is difficult, it's all quite easy and requires very little effort, most can be picked up at Tesco with a detour to a health food store now and again, besides, isn't it worth doing something like this right, you want to look healthy.

I defy anyone to liberally eat tahini, avocado, coconut and nuts and seeds and not notice weight gain!

By the way, this is a component of my job, I do this sort of thing day in day out.

Bandit
November 19th, 2011, 02:45 AM
Eating more without weight traning will just lead to FAT weight. But if its muscle weight you want, then you need to lift weights, preferably heavy ones and then just up your protein intake.

You should say your Lean Body Mass (in pounds) x 0.9 to maintain muscle or as high as LBM x 1.5 to gain muscle mass. Some even go higher, but you will have to figure out your tolerance as the extra protein will put a load on your kidneys.

I take in around 150 to 175 grams of protein on average each day just to maintain and slightly gain while I am trying to loose a ton of fat I stored up while in college.

To calculate your LBM you need to subtract your fat percentage from your over all weight. I use the US NAVYs scale for calculating fat. For males its:
(86.01 * LOG10("Waist around your naval in inches" - "Neck in inches"))-(70.041 * LOG10("Height in inches"))+36.76
Take that percentage and then say that times your weight, then take that and subtract it from your weight to get your LBM.

A protein supplement such as Whey Protein and also a Creatine supplement may help you achieve your goals faster.

One more thing. Websites such as http://www.bodybuilding.com/ and http://www.muscleandfitness.com/ may offer a better quality of advice then you may find here. Some of us like my self here spend 6 days a week in the GYM ranging 8 to 10 hours a week. Others here are just not that into fitness. So a real answer may be hit or miss.

Hope this helps.

Paqman
November 19th, 2011, 05:55 AM
He asked how to gain weight, and that's a good way to gain weight. You did notice that I prefaced everything I said with "If you don't care if it's fat", didn't you?

Sure, if you're going to be literal, without actually listening to him, then that's a fair answer. But I doubt what the OP actually wants is to get fat, diabetic and have bad teeth.

I actually think he (and most posters in this thread) have got it backwards. His weight loss is just the symptom, the cause is lifestyle.

Trying to sort a weight problem by attacking the symptoms is incredibly hard. Sorting out the lifestyle issue that's causing it is relatively easy. If you ask me, the easy way has got to be good.

beew
November 19th, 2011, 06:09 AM
At least forestcupp didn't say "Watch Supersize Me!" ..duck..

Lucradia
November 19th, 2011, 08:32 AM
If you don't care if it's fat, eat lots of carbs. Sometimes people don't realize they're not getting carbs, and they accidentally lose weight.

This, and there are different kinds of carbs too, but in essence, to avoid carbs:

1. Don't eat bread, any kind. (Wheat has the least, which shares a similar amount to sourdough, for some strange reason.)

2. Eating almost any meat will also have carbs. (Turkey and most fish have the least. Mixed meat like Bologna may be even better depending on the majority used.)

As for fats in general:

1. Fats that can't be digested too easily (tri, poly unsaturated and saturated and trans) will also make you gain fatty weight.

2. Sugar that is not used by the body (This is dependent on your metabolism, so it may not always work) will turn into fat.

3. Oils can also contribute to fat unless it's derived directly from the veggies that take away carbs (Broccoli?)

4. Milkfat can also amp up your fat. But, it also helps build bone strength. if you must build bone strength without milkfat, you will have to take calcium supplements.

Of course, since you want to gain weight, you can eat these, if you want fat weight though. To change your metabolism directly, you must change the amount of carbs you take in, and the amount of "oxy"-foods you consume. For instance, Broccoli will help tear through carbs like a sniper. (Pretty much anything green in veggies will do the same.)

Fruits that can tear through carbs are extremely beneficial to one wanting to lose weight. However, like veggies, you must be aware that your body will attempt to coax you over into stopping the anti-carb diet. IE: When you finish eating a banana, which will fill you up extremely fast due to the Potassium in it (It makes an extremely good dessert as such, just alone.) But be wary of what your body signals to you. You may suddenly get a craving for chocolate, the real stuff. This is because your body is trying to gain back the carbs you didn't consume while eating that banana. Yes, chocolate has carbs, even for a plant.

Now, if you want to starve yourself a bit to lose all that weight, or if you need to gain weight quickly, buy pepto-bismol. Unlike TUMS (or alternatives) pepto literally forces your tummy to be quiet, even when over or under-worked. Of course, you may need to take more than one dose in a few hours times to satiate your tummy. When dealing with this, make sure to drink a full glass (8 oz) of water with the pepto. It'll get worse if you don't. I do NOT suggest this though, and is a last resort. Your metabolism will not change much with this technique, so please try the diet portions above.

tl;dr for carbs explanation:

Reducing Carb Intake = Metabolism that can burn through fat faster. (Sugars too) (See diet though)
Increasing Carb Intake = Metabolism that cannot burn through fat as easily. (Sugars too)

tl;dr for diet:

Wheat Bread, Grain/wheat cereal (Mini wheats, wheaties, rice cereals without sugar, rice cereals often taste better than the raw wheat cereals)
Fructose instead of real sugar
Bananas instead of normal desserts (Strawberries if you can handle the bitter taste.)
Broccoli (Also helps with certain cancers), Cauliflower, etc.
Meats should be limited to turkey / lean chicken / certain fish products. Cheap stuff includes turkey bologna.
As for drinks, DO NOT drink alcoholic beverages, no sodas. (Lemonade, Cranberry, Pomegranate, not powder.)

if you must get rid of milk and all meats:

Soy Milk / Rice Milk are good alts.
Bean and Rice = Protein (Must be together)

^ That's for losing weight though. So follow the opposite.

lotharmat
November 19th, 2011, 10:33 AM
2. Eating almost any meat will also have carbs. (Turkey and most fish have the least. Mixed meat like Bologna may be even better depending on the majority used.)

I disagree with this fundamentally - Liver will contain carbs (glycogen)

But muscle meat will not as, after slaughter, any glycogen in the muscles will be broken down.

Look at the USDA food composition database

BEEF,RIBEYE STEAK/ROAST,BONELESS,LN,1/8"FAT,ALL GRADES,RAW Grams 85.05
Serving: 3 oz Ounces 3.00
Water 70.14%
Percentages of customized DV in this serving: Refuse 24%

Calories(2002) 7% Total Carb (nd) Protein 14%
Carb/Prot/Fat 0/56/44 Fiber (nd) Non-Fiber Carb (nd)

Total Fat 4% Vitamin A 0% Calcium 1%
Sat Fat 5% Thiamin 7% Copper 3%
Mono Fat 5% Riboflavin 14% Iron 9%
Poly Fat 3% Niacin 24% Magnesium 5%
Omega-6 4% Panto. Acid 5% Manganese 3%
LA 4% Vitamin B-6 20% Phosphorus 13%
AA 17% Folate 1% Potassium 7%
Omega-3 1% Vitamin B-12 27% Selenium 33%
ALA 0% Vitamin C (nd) Sodium 2%
EPA (nd) Vitamin D 1% Zinc 32%
DHA (nd) Vitamin E 1%
Cholesterol 19% Vitamin K 2% Omega-6/3 Balance 90/10

Unless of course you are referring to processed meat..... Which isn't really meat!

Linuxratty
November 19th, 2011, 01:56 PM

I agree. And avoid,at all costs anything with hfcs in it (corn sugar)..Vile stuff,just vile.

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S26/91/22K07/

http://drhyman.com/5-reasons-high-fructose-corn-syrup-will-kill-you-5050/

Gremlinzzz
November 19th, 2011, 03:23 PM
pizza and all pasta:popcorn:

forrestcupp
November 19th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Forget what everyone said here, the advice is just terrible, if you do drink gallons of Pepsi, tons of bacon and litres of milk you'll end up with a lot more than just a few pounds... diabetes, heart disease and a whole host of other problems.I'm the only one on here giving that advice. Everyone else is saying to eat healthy and exercise. Hmmm. That's also what they say for losing weight. Every time I gave my advice, I also warned that it was going to make the OP unhealthy. But it will cause him to gain weight in the quickest way. Is it worth it to have a heart attack or stroke in order to gain weight quickly? I never said that.

Sure, if you're going to be literal, without actually listening to him, then that's a fair answer. But I doubt what the OP actually wants is to get fat, diabetic and have bad teeth.You doubt. That means you're assuming, too. All he said was that he wants to gain weight. I didn't see him asking how to be healthy.

2. Eating almost any meat will also have carbs. (Turkey and most fish have the least. Mixed meat like Bologna may be even better depending on the majority used.)The Atkins Diet is an ultra-low carb diet, and meat is one of the main things you're allowed to have. Breads and pasta are a huge source of carbs. Meat is not a good source of carbs at all. Meat is a necessary source of protein, though.

Here is an example diet (http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/how-gain-weight) of what the NFL uses for weight gain, including pre and post workout snacks.

Bandit
November 19th, 2011, 07:41 PM
I disagree
---------------
Unless of course you are referring to processed meat..... Which isn't really meat!

Correct. REAL meat, not processed hot dogs will NOT contain any carbs.

Tuna (in water), 1 can, 100cal, 1g fat, 0g carb, 22g protein
Boneless-Skinless Chicken Breast, 4oz, 110cal, 2.5g fat, 0g carb, 23g prot
Tillapia Filet, 4oz, 93cal, 1g fat, 0g carb, 21g prot
Hickory Smoked Bacon, ~1 slice, 35cal, 3g fat, 0g carb, 2g prot
Ribeye Steak, 6oz, 240cal, 12g fat, 0g carb, 29g prot
Eye of Round, 6oz, 276cal, 6g fat, 0g carb, 50g prot
NewYork Strip Steak, 6oz, 310cal, 10g fat, 0g carb, 50g prot
Ground Beef %93/7, 4oz, 160, 8g fat, 0g carb, 22g prot
Sardines (in water), 1 can, 150cal, 8g fat, 0g carb, 19g prot

As you can see. No CARBS...

To GAIN Weight is simple as just increasing your intake over what you use. The pic attached is an example of my meal plan for Sunday. Mind you I am on a caloric defect diet. All you have to do is eat more to gain weight, but what you eat determines if it goes to a beer belly or over all Lean Body Mass.

Lucradia
November 19th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Correct. REAL meat, not processed hot dogs will NOT contain any carbs.

Tuna (in water), 1 can, 100cal, 1g fat, 0g carb, 22g protein
Boneless-Skinless Chicken Breast, 4oz, 110cal, 2.5g fat, 0g carb, 23g prot
Tillapia Filet, 4oz, 93cal, 1g fat, 0g carb, 21g prot
Hickory Smoked Bacon, ~1 slice, 35cal, 3g fat, 0g carb, 2g prot
Ribeye Steak, 6oz, 240cal, 12g fat, 0g carb, 29g prot
Eye of Round, 6oz, 276cal, 6g fat, 0g carb, 50g prot
NewYork Strip Steak, 6oz, 310cal, 10g fat, 0g carb, 50g prot
Ground Beef %93/7, 4oz, 160, 8g fat, 0g carb, 22g prot
Sardines (in water), 1 can, 150cal, 8g fat, 0g carb, 19g prot

As you can see. No CARBS...

To GAIN Weight is simple as just increasing your intake over what you use. The pic attached is an example of my meal plan for Sunday. Mind you I am on a caloric defect diet. All you have to do is eat more to gain weight, but what you eat determines if it goes to a beer belly or over all Lean Body Mass.

I noticed no turkey. :| as for the "Meat is a necessary source of protein, though." No, it isn't. Hence why I said Rice and beans.

snowpine
November 19th, 2011, 08:49 PM
I gained 15 healthy pounds so far this year on a meat-free diet. I described the 3 steps in my previous post (quick summary: 1. exercise, 2. fewer meals per day, 3. keep a food journal).

My staple diet for years has been rice, beans, eggs, cheese, veggies, fruit. To facilitate the weight gain I have added a lot of nuts, dried fruit (figs are my favorite!), banana, and avocado. If anyone has questions about vegetarian nutrition/benefits of specific foods, ask away!

I am skeptical of diets that advocate an extreme ratio of macronutrients (protein/carbs/fat) because my food journal (step #3) suggests that all three are necessary in balance, at least for my own personal metabolism/body type.

Bandit
November 20th, 2011, 02:13 AM
I noticed no turkey. :| as for the "Meat is a necessary source of protein, though." No, it isn't. Hence why I said Rice and beans.

Rice and Beans, sure shoot that glycemic index through the roof. Then come back and complain 20 years from now when your poking a needle in your gut to give yourself an insulin shot every day.

I will agree that meat is not an only source of protein. Heck Spinach is loaded with both protein and healthy fibrous carbs. One can of spinach alone has 15g of protein, 15g of fibrous carbs, does not shoot your glycemic index through the roof and is only 3g of fat and 135 calories. Its prob the most healthiest food I can think of. Some beans are not that bad, lima beans are good since they are about half fibrous and half complex carbs. But they also offer a decent amount of protein as well.

The point is that you can gain weight in a healthy manner with moderate weight training you can grow very very large, increase your over all health by lowering your cholesterol, blood pressure, boost your metabolism and increase your strength and size without making yourself sick. The first step is learning what is really in and what makes up the food your stuff in your pie hole..

EDIT:
Yea I am not a huge fan of turkey, although I do have a turkey on wheat sandwhich with a slice of tamatoe for breakfast sometimes. But lately its been getting cold and cold sandwich seems bland. I rather have the toasted then heated ham and cheese goodness.. hehe

forrestcupp
November 21st, 2011, 01:43 PM
as for the "Meat is a necessary source of protein, though." No, it isn't. Hence why I said Rice and beans.When I said that, I didn't really mean it's the only source of protein. The reason I said it was to let you know that even though meat doesn't have carbs, that doesn't mean that it has no value in this situation. You have to read it in context.

EDIT:
Yea I am not a huge fan of turkey, although I do have a turkey on wheat sandwhich with a slice of tamatoe for breakfast sometimes. But lately its been getting cold and cold sandwich seems bland. I rather have the toasted then heated ham and cheese goodness.. heheToasted turkey and cheese isn't bad, either.

Gremlinzzz
November 21st, 2011, 01:52 PM
If you continue to lose weight see a Doctor,make sure everything,s alright.
:popcorn:

haqking
November 21st, 2011, 02:01 PM
Get married, you will put on 20lbs in the first year easy ;-)

forrestcupp
November 21st, 2011, 02:08 PM
If you continue to lose weight see a Doctor,make sure everything,s alright.
:popcorn:

Good point. It's possible to have a digestive disease, and not even know it. I'm not suggesting the OP has Celiac disease, but if you have that, your body can't handle gluten. Sometimes the only real symptoms are not having energy, and your body losing weight because you're eating gluten and your body can't handle it.

If it's an unnatural weight loss that happens even if you're eating a lot, you need to get checked out and have some tests done. Usually there are specific things you need to do depending on your specific situation.

Grenage
November 21st, 2011, 03:58 PM
Amazing; I'd have put 10 on someone locking this thread by now, with:

This is not the place for medical advice.

;)

grimslider75
November 21st, 2011, 11:11 PM
Well, just work out everyday, drink protein shakes and then stop and just eat more than you usually do every day for about 2 weeks.

I've seen it happen....

Tarquin1
November 23rd, 2011, 05:46 PM
Only by the use of the healthy food, we easily gain 2 pounds within a one month. So we should concentrate on the quantity of the food.

norwalk personal trainer (http://straightupfitness.com/norwalk-fitness-trainer/)

jimbrinky
November 23rd, 2011, 10:31 PM
you must be dedicated. to a coordinated effort with your diet, exercise and rest schedules that complement each other. Here it is in a nut shell.
1) Eat 3 good meals a day. In between each meal have a high protein, high calorie drink or snack.
2) Exercise, Do 3 sets of 20 reps squats along with bench presses & deadlifts. 2-3 times a week
3) Rest, don't do extra activities, you need the rest time to repair and build muscle.
This works whether your male or female. Yes you will gain weight & mostly muscle. However, the muscle will be in the right places and after you reach a desired weight, you can start a maintenance program to tone and define muscles. Good Luck.

philinux
November 23rd, 2011, 11:06 PM
Beer seems to work for me but I'm putting up a fight. Doh.

T.exe
November 23rd, 2011, 11:37 PM
When having food, DONT CHEW... just SWALLOW... just like a true anaconda!!!!

anna2112
November 24th, 2011, 04:28 AM
What your problem is to gain weight ? thats the last thing that I dont want to happen to me..I've been gaining weight since I got married..my husband wants to eat every hour !!!:o:o:o hahaha...

bluexrider
November 24th, 2011, 04:43 AM
Simple answer= Coors Light

Drink it at your leisure. Exercise when you want to. Don't if you want to.