PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with upgrade

aesjar
November 18th, 2011, 07:34 AM
So I just updatted, or tried... It froze in 'terminal' and when I waited an hour nothing happened. I restarted, mymouse will not work now, a bunchofneccessary files do not exist, AND its done someting oso that older installationdisks i have hang. Ive never had aproblem with ubuntu and now ithas cmpletely bricked my perfectly fine computer. All i have is my nook which i can't use to fix it.:evil:

hansdown
November 18th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Welcom to the forum, aesjar.

Are you updating to, 11.10?

aesjar
November 18th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Yes.

hansdown
November 18th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Yes.

O.K.

Someone, should jump in here, < crosses fingers, and eyes >,

once they are brought up to speed, with your particular hardware, and

Graphics capabilities.

aesjar
November 18th, 2011, 08:08 AM
It won't load install cds or get to thepoint where I theoretically could do anything at all to change anything now.

hansdown
November 18th, 2011, 08:17 AM
It won't load install cds or get to thepoint where I theoretically could do anything at all to change anything now.

Has your HD been doing anything strange latey?

MAFoElffen
November 18th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Before you start changing things...

- What version of Ubuntu where you on? (Distribution upgrade to 11.10)
- What Video do you have?
- You did a distribution upgrade through the Update manager or from a terminal through do-release-upgrade?

- What does it do now? Please describe in detail. You say you are trying to Start on a LiveCD, but you haven't said why...
- When a linux distro goes through an upgrade or a release upgrade, it installs and removes packages. If interrupted, what happens, besides the precess being interrupted, is you get packages that may be half installed and "broken."

So once booted, those broken packages need to be fixed before the process can be restarted- to finish it.

*** But, reading between the lines, we need to get you able to boot first- If not from your own system, then from a LiveCD.

mrgs
November 18th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Please use a more precise thread title.