PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I get back functionality lost with 11.10

cigtoxdoc
November 18th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Just upgrade by "experimental" PC from 11.04 to 11.10. Why the loss in functionality? Questions:

1. How do I get rid of icons on left hand side on screen and make my desktop look like it did in 11.04?

2. How do I find edit preferences and other command bar functions in Evolution?

3. How do I get rid of the double entry. Why do I need both "on this computer" and username@localhost? I am only user.

4. How do I keep Evolution from grouping messages by thread? There use to be a command to do that?

5. How can I keep File Edit View from disappearing on a Firefox window.

Thank you,

John

hansdown
November 18th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Hi, cigtoxdoc.

I'm still trying, to make heads or tails, of this environment.

A lot of the features, from past desktops, are, "locked", in this release.

Um......sorry?

MAFoElffen
November 18th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Just upgrade by "experimental" PC from 11.04 to 11.10. Why the loss in functionality? Questions:

1. How do I get rid of icons on left hand side on screen and make my desktop look like it did in 11.04?

2. How do I find edit preferences and other command bar functions in Evolution?

3. How do I get rid of the double entry. Why do I need both "on this computer" and username@localhost? I am only user.

4. How do I keep Evolution from grouping messages by thread? There use to be a command to do that?

5. How can I keep File Edit View from disappearing on a Firefox window.

Thank you,

John
Start up the Ubuntu Software Center. Type "gnome" in the search filter. Select "GNOME desktop environment with extras" and install it.

That will give you a desktop touch and feel that is like 11.04 and previous. That would take care of all your listed problems (1 & 5) accept for Evolution... Maybe someone else could help you on that.

kurt18947
November 18th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Maybe stupid on my part but did you install Evolution? There are Evolution components installed but AFAIK the full app is not. 11.10 switched from Evolution to Thunderbird as the default email client. You can still install Evolution from the Software Center or via Synaptic - which is also not included by default but can be installed from the software center.

As far as the bar on the left --- talk about a bone of contention. There are numerous "I hate Unity" threads on this forum. There are a few options and workarounds.

hansdown
November 18th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Maybe stupid on my part but did you install Evolution? There are Evolution components installed but AFAIK the full app is not. 11.10 switched from Evolution to Thunderbird as the default email client. You can still install Evolution from the Software Center or via Synaptic - which is also not included by default but can be installed from the software center.

As far as the bar on the left --- talk about a bone of contention. There are numerous "I hate Unity" threads on this forum. There are a few options and workarounds.

You are right, kurt18947.

Evolution does need to be installed.

Not sure, if it works, without problems in this release.