PDA

View Full Version : Which notebook?

Janeleaper
November 18th, 2011, 04:14 AM
Hi, I'm hoping for some advice on buying a new notebook.

Our household has 2 desktops and a Dell inspiron mini, all using the Ubuntu OS. We also have an old desktop running Windows XP.
I'm thinking of getting another notebook and partitioning the drive between Windows and Ubuntu.

It will be for my personal use, to take with me when I'm travelling for a couple of months next year, to use to work on a book I'm writing, plus Skype and email.

I'm torn between getting another Inspiron mini, and the cheapest Sony - the E series VAIO. If I get the Sony, it will be the first time I've bought a pc that isn't a Dell.

I've been told the Sony computers are better built than Dell.

Does anyone have any views on the subject?

Thanks

wolfen69
November 18th, 2011, 04:31 AM
Sony computers can be very proprietary in nature. If you do not have a restore partition or disc, you will find it difficult to even reinstall windows from a retail disc, much less a linux distro. You've been warned.

If you are not a serious gamer, I would make sure the notebook has all Intel chipsets such as cpu, wireless, and graphics. I've never had a problem with a lappie that had all intel. But I'm sure others will have different opinions.

hansdown
November 18th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Sony computers can be very proprietary in nature. If you do not have a restore partition or disc, you will find it difficult to even reinstall windows from a retail disc, much less a linux distro. You've been warned.

If you are not a serious gamer, I would make sure the notebook has all Intel chipsets such as cpu, wireless, and graphics. I've never had a problem with a lappie that had all intel. But I'm sure others will have different opinions.

+1.

I bought my last two computers, with Intel.

I used, to swear by, Invidia,.....

'Nuff said.

sureshsaragadam
November 18th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Dell Have some Laptop models preloaded with Ubuntu, You can find one..
Even Dell have minis notebooks preloaded with Ubuntu.

Try Dell Vistro Series they are all preloaded with Ubutnu,

If not DELL almost any Laptop, or Notebook will support ubuntu linux, you don't have to worry much about it.

NOTE: Buy a Notebook or Laptop or Desktop with out OS. (Dos Model, with out OS, You can save some money)

Before buying you can test the Laptop or Notebook with Live CD or Ubuntu USB Start-Up.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1878879

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0_...JiODgxMDI1ZGM0 (https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0_6R6kG-ySvZmIyMzQ1NzgtNTcxMC00MGFhLWIyOWYtM2JiODgxMDI1ZGM 0)

This link may help you to share knowledge

wolfen69
November 18th, 2011, 06:41 AM
+1.

I bought my last two computers, with Intel.

I used, to swear by, Invidia,.....

'Nuff said.

I still like nvidia for my desktop, but Intel for lappies.

Janeleaper
November 18th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Thanks to you all. Looks like it will be another Inspiron Mini.

Nixarter
November 18th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Why just those two? I like neither of those, honestly. If you are looking for a popular name brand with high quality, I strongly recommend IBM Thinkpads. Everyone I've known who has had a dell or Sony has had a lot of problems out of them. Everyone I've known who has had an IBM thinkpad has never had a problem out of it. I've had a few, and they were all great.

LowSky
November 18th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Why just those two? I like neither of those, honestly. If you are looking for a popular name brand with high quality, I strongly recommend IBM Thinkpads. Everyone I've known who has had a dell or Sony has had a lot of problems out of them. Everyone I've known who has had an IBM thinkpad has never had a problem out of it. I've had a few, and they were all great.

IBM doesn't make computers for a very very long time now.

They sold their works off to Lenovo, who in my opinion make still great computers. I have a Lenovo Ideapad S10 and its takes bumps better than my sister's and mother's small lineup of HP and Acer's they had in the same amount of time.

If i had the cash right now I would love a Thinkpad Edge or a T-series.

stalkingwolf
November 18th, 2011, 01:16 PM
I like the Asus EEE series have had two. To be fair though i have not used any of the others in that class. I have seen an HP mini in action and that would be my next choice.

Janeleaper
November 18th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks. I've just had a look at the HP Mini, and the Asus 10.1 inch, and been amazed by how cheap they are. I'll definitely consider one of them as an alternative to the Dell.

I was only stuck on Dell or Sony because they were what had previously been recommended.

Nixarter
November 18th, 2011, 09:04 PM
IBM doesn't make computers for a very very long time now.

They sold their works off to Lenovo, who in my opinion make still great computers. I have a Lenovo Ideapad S10 and its takes bumps better than my sister's and mother's small lineup of HP and Acer's they had in the same amount of time.

If i had the cash right now I would love a Thinkpad Edge or a T-series.

hmmm, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Docaltmed
November 18th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I'm finding my Asus EEE to be painfully underpowered, but I use it pretty hard.

LinuxFan999
November 18th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Dell Have some Laptop models preloaded with Ubuntu, You can find one..
Even Dell have minis notebooks preloaded with Ubuntu.

Try Dell Vistro Series they are all preloaded with Ubutnu,

If not DELL almost any Laptop, or Notebook will support ubuntu linux, you don't have to worry much about it.

NOTE: Buy a Notebook or Laptop or Desktop with out OS. (Dos Model, with out OS, You can save some money)

Before buying you can test the Laptop or Notebook with Live CD or Ubuntu USB Start-Up.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1878879

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0_...JiODgxMDI1ZGM0 (https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0_6R6kG-ySvZmIyMzQ1NzgtNTcxMC00MGFhLWIyOWYtM2JiODgxMDI1ZGM 0)

This link may help you to share knowledge
Dell doesn't seem to care about Linux anymore, but if you search their site (or Google) hard enough, you can find Dell PCs available with Ubuntu preloaded, but they have poor specifications and come with 10.10, which is one year behind, and was, in my opinion, not very good. If you really want a Dell laptop, get one that has good specifications, then install Ubuntu 11.10 (or Kubuntu, Xubuntu or Lubuntu) onto it in place of Windows.

trinux_bc
November 19th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Another vote for Thinkpads, I love my t410.

trinux_bc

keithpeter
November 19th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Hello All

Keyboards vary on netbooks. I'd try to get to a shop with a large number of models on display and try typing if text is important to you.

My Asus EeePC 1000 runs ok but the keyboard flexes in an annoying way so I can't type long documents on it.

I got a second hand Samsung NC10 which has a much nicer keyboard. Needs a deb from special repository for some hardware functions to work. That is my coffee shop and train netbook...

cheers

Janeleaper
November 19th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Thanks for all your replies.

I've ordered the ASUS X101-EU17 from Amazon.ca, which looks like a bargain at CAD $199 The OS is Meego, which might be sufficient for my needs, but if not I'll swap it for Ubuntu. If I don't like the keyboard, I can always send it back.

I've found this thread so helpful, I'll ask your advice on a PC for my old mum on a separate thread.

stalkingwolf
November 20th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I picked my eee up at a pawnshop for 145.00, the first i bought was less than a week old and i got it on ebay for 125.00 including shipping.
It had japanese version of windows on it. whitin hours of receiving it it had ubuntu. was a slight delay, i couldnt resist playing in Japanese.

sureshsaragadam
November 20th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Dell doesn't seem to care about Linux anymore, but if you search their site (or Google) hard enough, you can find Dell PCs available with Ubuntu preloaded, but they have poor specifications and come with 10.10, which is one year behind, and was, in my opinion, not very good. If you really want a Dell laptop, get one that has good specifications, then install Ubuntu 11.10 (or Kubuntu, Xubuntu or Lubuntu) onto it in place of Windows.

Here in India with considering Laptop market , I have only one option for preloaded Linux i.e. Dell Vistro Models, That too a commercial models, it comes on bulk orders.

So i have to choose Dell 15R dos model, But Ubuntu 11.10 failed to take Nvidia Driver,
It says Nvidia Driver is installed and not in use.

I did not expect that because Vistro models are preloaded supporting Ubuntu, I thought
15R would support Ubuntu.

Anyways, It is better to check with Live CD before purchasing any Laptop to work with your choice of Linux.

If required a notebook for Linux, If available in the market, you can even check for
Asus Eee PC they have best support for Debian Linux

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eeebuntu
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Eee_PC

Janeleaper
November 25th, 2011, 12:55 AM
I bought an Asus x101, which has a very basic version of MeeGo.

After a day playing with it, I was in love with the hardware, but hated the software. The great thing about it is the size and weight, at less than 2lb, it is great for travelling and it is ultra thin. The keyboard is OK but could be better.

I didn't get on with MeeGo. I could not intall Skype, and Skype is an essential programme for my use. Another programme I use - Writers Cafe - is incompatible.

So, I'm installing Ubuntu. First try was with 10.04. That was a mistake. There is the same bug on installation as with the Dell mini, that the driver for the wireless does not install and needs to be redownloaded. Problem is there is no socket for an ethernet connection.

So, I'm going to install 11.10. Trouble is, I'm having difficulty burning the CD. So, I'm going to have to order a copy.