PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cant get shares working in Network

Ed_Ziffel
November 17th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Does someone know how to get Samba to work with three Ubuntu machines all running 10.04.3 lts and a win7 and a winXP machine?

Can get to the point where I see all the machines and all the shares but it just will not let me access the files.

Has spent at least 70 hours trying to get it to work. Red who knows how many tutorials, have 3 ubuntu books, all which just say how wonderful Samba is but have no real details as to how to get it happening. Had it working before but never right. lost a hard drive, redid the machine and that was it.

Machines are set up static. Can ping all from all. Internet connection from all. Can see the shares, just can't get it to act right. Can access the shares on the windows machines from the ubuntu machines but not the ubuntu machines from windows or access the ubuntu shares from the other ubuntu machines. Can't see the Ubuntu machines from the windows machines.

Have reinstalled Ubuntu a total of six times to start fresh. Have made no major changes and have nothing else on the ubuntu machines at this time. It may be that I just haven't got the users and passwords set up right. Maybe installing samba server on all the Ubuntu machines is wrong. Can anyone who knows what they are doing point me in the right direction?

thanks

silviutp
November 18th, 2011, 10:20 AM
I am also interested in this.
Had some similar issues and the problems are only on Windows Machines.