PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gets stuck at the loading screen

42f87d89
November 17th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Hi there, my computer is an acer aspire 7738 by the way.
Recently I have had some problems with my ubuntu, it gets stuck at the 5 dots screen.

I suspect either of these:
When I first installed ubuntu 11.10 I had the same problem, but then I installed some drivers through the recovery mode and it fixed it.

or

Right before I had this problem I just had finished some installations and I restarted my computer but the battery ran out.

Please halp me and thank you fo your time.

2F4U
November 17th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Can you get to a console with Ctrl-Alt-F1? If yes, check the log files to get some info on whats going on.

42f87d89
November 20th, 2011, 01:38 AM
Can you get to a console with Ctrl-Alt-F1? If yes, check the log files to get some info on whats going on.
Where are they located?

MAFoElffen
November 20th, 2011, 04:57 AM
Where are they located?
So... You were a little vague in your first post, so lets clear some of the haze.

You have an Acer Aspire 7738, which has a either ATI or NVidia graphics in it.
- You said you installed drivers, so what drivers for what card did you install?

You said this happened after "some installations"... What did you install?

What keys? He asked for a 3-key combination, hold down the control key and the alt key, then press the F2 key = <cntrl><alt><F2>. It might not, depending how far it got in the X-Session.

So, if not, follow these directions:
Temporalrily Booting Into a TTY Text Console (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11383888&postcount=715)

Then do this

lspci -vnn | grep VGA

and post the results here. We need the results to branch to one of 2 fixes... which depends on what type of video you have.

42f87d89
November 21st, 2011, 06:37 PM
So... You were a little vague in your first post, so lets clear some of the haze.

You have an Acer Aspire 7738, which has a either ATI or NVidia graphics in it.
- You said you installed drivers, so what drivers for what card did you install?

You said this happened after "some installations"... What did you install?

What keys? He asked for a 3-key combination, hold down the control key and the alt key, then press the F2 key = <cntrl><alt><F2>. It might not, depending how far it got in the X-Session.

So, if not, follow these directions:
Temporalrily Booting Into a TTY Text Console (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11383888&postcount=715)

Then do this

lspci -vnn | grep VGA
and post the results here. We need the results to branch to one of 2 fixes... which depends on what type of video you have.
I have a nvidia gt240m, I followed a tutorial to install a windows driver(I believe)
after 11.10 gave me some problems, the problem was very common.
I can get into the terminal through recovery mode I just want to know where is the log he reffered to located.

MAFoElffen
November 24th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I have a nvidia gt240m, I followed a tutorial to install a windows driver(I believe)
after 11.10 gave me some problems, the problem was very common.
I can get into the terminal through recovery mode I just want to know where is the log he reffered to located.
I'm not sure which tutorial, from who, or what log you are referring to. I have several out there. The logs I look at for NVidia graphics issues are:

/var/log/Xorg.0.log # <-- Please post this for me
/var/nvidia-installer.log # <-- This one is only there after installing a nvidia binary driver.
/var/syslog.log # <-- I only have users post this when warranted.

The configuration file I look at is:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf # <-- Please post this

- What version of Ubuntu? What driver did you install?
- I asked you to post the results of a command that specifically returns more info that just the card type and model. Could you please post those results?