PDA

View Full Version : gigantic odd structures being built in the desert by China

sdowney717
November 17th, 2011, 01:03 PM
http://gizmodo.com/5859081/why-is-china-building-these-gigantic-structures-in-the-middle-of-the-desert

They do look odd, wonder what a grid network like those are for.

MG&TL
November 17th, 2011, 01:10 PM
'tis interesting. Absolutely no idea. Altohugh I imagine we'll know soon enough, they look fairly sinister.

haqking
November 17th, 2011, 01:16 PM
They are building a new internet so that the US cannot censor it this time round ;-)

or it is a new Great Firewall of china to help the US with censorship

F.G.
November 17th, 2011, 02:13 PM
They are building a new internet so that the US cannot censor it this time round ;-)
Ha! well i think ~snip~

anyhow,
giant photo-electric cell or landing pad for aliens, thats my two cents.

grahammechanical
November 17th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Do not worry. Apple will sue them for copying an Apple design. That's it! It is the design for the next iPad!

Paqman
November 17th, 2011, 02:59 PM
they look fairly sinister.

Hmm, I think you're projecting there. While it's not impossible that this is some dastardly scheme that affects us in the west, it's hardly the most likely thing.

China has big problems with desertification. My random guess is that this is some land reclamation experiment.

forrestcupp
November 17th, 2011, 04:23 PM
They aren't sinister at all. They are the foundations of the next chain of great amusement parks.

Before Disney World was built, they raised the terrain and built a system of "underground" tunnels for the character employees to get from one area of the park to another without being seen. They had to install the tunnels before covering them over with fill dirt. That's exactly what is going on in China. They are creating the tunnel systems for what is going to be the next adorable chain of amusement parks.

haqking
November 17th, 2011, 04:31 PM
they are satellite callibration targets

Dragonbite
November 17th, 2011, 04:34 PM
They aren't sinister at all. They are the foundations of the next chain of great amusement parks.

Before Disney World was built, they raised the terrain and built a system of "underground" tunnels for the character employees to get from one area of the park to another without being seen. They had to install the tunnels before covering them over with fill dirt. That's exactly what is going on in China. They are creating the tunnel systems for what is going to be the next adorable chain of amusement parks.

Or bunkers to hide in, in case of a future war. Can't blame them for preparing can we?

snowpine
November 17th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Or bunkers to hide in, in case of a future war. Can't blame them for preparing can we?

Building target-shaped bunkers is not too smart. :lolflag:

MG&TL
November 17th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Hmm, I think you're projecting there. While it's not impossible that this is some dastardly scheme that affects us in the west, it's hardly the most likely thing.

China has big problems with desertification. My random guess is that this is some land reclamation experiment.

Maybe I am. But it IS the kind of thing you see in a Bond film.

Gremlinzzz
November 17th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Clean energy project most likely solar since its desert related.
:popcorn:

dpny
November 17th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Calibration targets for spy satellites.

http://www.lifeslittlemysteries.com/mystery-structures-china-desert-spy-satellite-2184/

haqking
November 17th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Calibration targets for spy satellites.

http://www.lifeslittlemysteries.com/mystery-structures-china-desert-spy-satellite-2184/

I already said that in post number 8 but no one was listening ;-)http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11465466&postcount=8

F.G.
November 18th, 2011, 12:52 AM
so, why don't they just use city streets, or anything else they know the geometry of?

|{urse
November 18th, 2011, 01:05 AM
I was also going to say satellite tracking and calibration maps.

Paqman
November 18th, 2011, 11:08 AM
so, why don't they just use city streets, or anything else they know the geometry of?

I guess shadows from buildings and the presence of traffic would alter the appearance of streets. A shape in the desert would be very consistent.

westie457
November 18th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Its a giant game of 'entanglement' or in other words I have no real idea either.

F.G.
November 18th, 2011, 01:47 PM
so i'm sure calibrating satellites is probably what they are used for, and the space tech who said so knows what he's talking about.

nonetheless, i just found loads and loads of articles about it. Interestingly they all seem to lead back to a website called 'www.lifeslittlemysteries.com' and an interview with a space technician called Jonathan Hill (or they reference fox or the daily mail, which in turn leads back there). In the spirit of the most recent xkcd comic: http://xkcd.com/978/
i can't help but wonder why none of these journalists have sought out a second opinion? and done any interviews themselves.

forrestcupp
November 18th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Seeing how one of the structures is made up of destroyed cars, I'd say it's not just simple calibration of satellites, but that they have a high powered laser weapon mounted to satellites, like in the movie Real Genius.

haqking
November 18th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Seeing how one of the structures is made up of destroyed cars, I'd say it's not just simple calibration of satellites, but that they have a high powered laser weapon mounted to satellites, like in the movie Real Genius.

so they can cook large amounts of :popcorn:

halibaitor
November 18th, 2011, 03:49 PM
You will never figure this out by looking at the aerial photos. Those have been digitally altered (think PhotoShop), for "security reasons."

Think "government conspiracy" or whatever else seems to fit, we won't ever know what is being hidden. It's lots of fun to guess, however. :popcorn:

forrestcupp
November 18th, 2011, 07:34 PM
You will never figure this out by looking at the aerial photos. Those have been digitally altered (think PhotoShop), for "security reasons."

That's what I would have thought, too, but they actually provided a link to that location on Google Map's satellite images.

halibaitor
November 18th, 2011, 08:42 PM
That's what I would have thought, too, but they actually provided a link to that location on Google Map's satellite images.

Are you trying to tell me that you think those aren't retouched because they come from Google? The images you are seeing aren't live images, you do realize that, don't you?

I am wondering, does Google own the satellites that takes those photos, or are the photos purchased from some government agency? I'm willing to bet they are purchased, which would mean that they were censored prior to being sold.

If you have ever used PhotoShop (or GIMP) to retouch anything, you would know what to look for. I looked at all those links, and they have all been retouched, and it isn't even a smooth job. There was no attempt that I could see to disguise the fact that the images have been altered. Bottom line, someone in our government didn't want the rest of the world to see what was there, so they doctored/censored the images.

haqking
November 18th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Are you trying to tell me that you think those aren't retouched because they come from Google? The images you are seeing aren't live images, you do realize that, don't you?

I am wondering, does Google own the satellites that takes those photos, or are the photos purchased from some government agency? I'm willing to bet they are purchased, which would mean that they were censored prior to being sold.

If you have ever used PhotoShop (or GIMP) to retouch anything, you would know what to look for. I looked at all those links, and they have all been retouched, and it isn't even a smooth job. There was no attempt that I could see to disguise the fact that the images have been altered. Bottom line, someone in our government didn't want the rest of the world to see what was there, so they doctored/censored the images.

Are you wearing a tin-foil hat whilst typing that too...LOL

it is just a calibration target, nothing sinister or partiularly secret, hardly worth a photoshop touch up.

halibaitor
November 18th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Are you wearing a tin-foil hat whilst typing that too...LOL

it is just a calibration target, nothing sinister or partiularly secret, hardly worth a photoshop touch up.

Tin foil hat? :P And where did I mention anything sinister in nature??????

I think you need to actually LOOK at all of the linked photos, not just the one that is circular in nature. If you can't see the manipulation, then you don't use PhotoShop/GIMP, or you are just trolling. :confused: (I'll guess trolling.)

haqking
November 18th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Tin foil hat? :P And where did I mention anything sinister in nature??????

I think you need to actually LOOK at all of the linked photos, not just the one that is circular in nature. If you can't see the manipulation, then you don't use PhotoShop/GIMP, or you are just trolling. :confused: (I'll guess trolling.)

whatever works for ya, enjoy the photos.

forrestcupp
November 18th, 2011, 11:22 PM

Google Earth satellite images are pieced together by tons of images on different levels. Everything on there looks like it's been Photoshopped.

johnnybgoode83
November 18th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Have you ever seen The Event? They are trying to make contact with some far off planet and bring them here.

Paqman
November 21st, 2011, 08:40 AM

Lol, no Google does not have satellites. They buy the images from commercial ground imaging companies. If you look at the bottom of the image it shows in small white writing what companies they use. It's highly unlikely that any shadowy government agent has had their sticky fingers anywhere near them.

A lot of the images aren't even from satellites anyway, it's just from aircraft. You get much better resolution much cheaper from an aircraft than a satellite, despite what you see in the movies.