PDA

View Full Version : [other] Grub geom error when HDD order changed

stevesutt89
November 17th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Hi guys,
So I have a netbook which I'm trying to get 11.10 on, I installed using the alternative installer running from an SD card.

To boot from the SD card (or USB disk) I have to go into BIOS and make it the first HDD. The install went fine, so I rebooted, changed the first HDD back to my actual HDD in the BIOS.

Now when I boot it, I just get:

Geom Error

Reboot abd Select Proper device...

I assume that swapping the order of the "HDD"s has caused this error.

Thus is there anyway that I can setup grub so that it expects the hard drive to be the first hard drive (even though its currently the second, according to the BIOS)?

efflandt
November 17th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Which drive(s) did you actually install Linux on and did you specifically make sure that you put grub on that device as a manual partitioning option? What does sudo fdisk -l (small L) show?

You also may want to post the output of the bootinfo script http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/ wrapped in code tags by highlighting that output and clicking the # symbol in Message window. That should show if you accidentally put grub on your internal hd. There are ways to restore a Windows MBR from Ubuntu CD or bootable USB (or other working installed system).