PDA

View Full Version : Printing success with Hoary!!!!!

Mark Marple
March 9th, 2005, 04:04 AM
Hello everyone!

I hope I posted this in the correct area. If not please forgive me, and I hope the admins move it to the correct location.......Thanks!

Just wanted to share my experience with Hoary and printing with the Epson R200 printer.

I have grabbed the newest (not final) gimp-print 5 (now called Gutenprint5), compiled it and it works nicely. This was a major trouble spot for me because I bought the printer with the thought of being able to print cds. Well, now I can. I have read in many posts here and other linux forums about being able to do it in gimp-print 4.2.7 but was never successful. I tried the setting of A4 paper in gimp-print 4.2.7, per many ppls suggestions (as this is what is chosen in Windows also) and was unsuccessful. I did however get ink all over the cd holder...........LOL

I was leary of compiling, due to being a newbie (with compiling) and all. My linux knowledge in general is pretty new (other than the messing around with every distro under the sun.....LOL)

The compiling went pretty well, it stopped with errors the first time around and I then used apt-get to grab what was missing. 2nd time worked and then smooth sailing from there. I just followed the README and INSTALL files and did what it said. I used the gimp-print+cups section and followed it to a "T". Went to install a new printer (left the old one there) and under the Epson print drivers there are many new ones listed. (this is mine...... "STYLUS PHOTO R200 - CUPS+GUTENPRINT v5.0.0-BETA 3") Did the test page and everything worked. (used std sheet not the A4). From what I already had installed thru apt-get as far as packages for gimp-print were concerned (don't recall all packages), during compiling, the gimp plugin was already added. Gimp is the only program that I use, that has the choice to print to cd. Thru some tests and wasted cds, (i did get smarter though) I have things working very well. The "I did get smarter" part was just me using different settings and choices to see what worked and didn't. Now please keep in mind I really don't know what I'm doing in Gimp, so more than likely, I'm not using things to the best of there potential. When setting up the printer, I selected the manufacturer and make (epson and R200) and under the default queue area, i left it default, as the new printer is my default. You should have the choice to chose the new gutenprint v5.0.0-beta 3 driver in this area if you want to have your old printer as the default. I then selected "high" print quality, "plain paper" for media type and "print to cd" as media source. In the middle of the screen area is the cd size of 5", there is also a 3" mini size as well. I have left all other settings as default and PRESTO!

I have found a cd template here: http://www.shallowsky.com/software/cdplugins/

I just dnloaded the CDlabel2.scm file and did what was mentioned on the site and the gimp plugin is installed. Again, please keep in mind that anyone with gimp experience will probably get even better results than I have with images, but for what I need, things are fine. Although, if someone has a better cd template or anything that would be of help, I would be greatful for a hand out..... :grin:

I would be interested in anyone has some shortcuts/how tos' to texting. I have been having trouble with arched text in Gimp. I have installed the file on the above mentioned website for the gimp plugin for arched text, but not understanding it very well. I have also tried the "script-fu" "Logos" "circle text" without much luck.

Here is where I grabbed the file:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1537

I grabbed the "gutenprint-5.0.0-beta3.tar.bz2 file.

I hope that this helps others like me who would love to use the Epson Printers (or any printer for that matter) to the best of there ability.

1 final note: "I CAN NOW GET RID OF WINXP" as this was the only reason for me to dual boot. Way to go Ubuntu for making a great distro. My choice hands down.
I have never had so much ease with doing tweaking where it just worked and has not broken anything. I have used many distros also.....SUSE 9.2 pro, Xandros 3 Deluxe, Fedora core 3, etc, etc.

Currently using Hoary array 5 with all the updates.

Mark M.