PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] New Bios Entry after installing Kubuntu 11.10?

Protar972
November 16th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Lenovo B575 laptop (nothing really impressive) and was dual booting win7 64 bit and Sabayon 7 KDE. It ran great until I killed Sabayon. Installed Kubuntu as like Ubuntu but wanted to try Kubuntu.

I used the Kubuntu 11.10 install disk, wiped the hdd and installed Kubuntu on the entire drive. Unfortunately I found it a bit buggy on my computer and had some difficulty getting wireless and even wired networking to work.

Wiped it and reinstalled sabayon. Now all I can get is a screen that looks similar to my bios screen ( but not exact). It gives me the option to boot from cd, hdd, network, etc. But there is a ubuntu option at the end.

rebooted into my laptop bios and now there is a ubuntu option.

Tried moving the boot order around but nothing would let me boot into sabayon.

Tried to reinstall win7 but that failed. No matter what I do I get the screen that looks kinda like my actual bios screen.

Reinstalled Kubuntu 11.10 and it boots up fine. Nothing else does.

Ever hear of this. I've searched but could find nothing. Of course I'm not really sure what to search for.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Protar972
November 17th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Did a little more digging and found that the screen that is similar to my bios screen is actually the multiboot screen that I can get to by pressing F12 at the lenovo splash or I can get to bios by pressing F2.

I can boot up and use various Live CD's. I can even install the OS on my HDD but it won't boot unless it's an installed version of Ubuntu. Any attempt to boot anything other than Ubuntu results in a multiboot option screen.

Could this be a bootloader issue? I used GParted and wiped the whole thing but that didn't help.

I'm curious and frustrated.

Thanks.