PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gnome classic/Panel problem

latvian
November 16th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Hello everyone,

I am using Ubuntu 11.10. I have installed Gnome classic previously (because I hate unity) using the following:

sudo apt-get install gnome-panel

and was able to log on gnome classic. I then accidentally deleted the top panel (right click ---> delete panel). Now, I am trying to re-install the panel using the same command:

sudo apt-get install gnome-panel

then restart and log on classic, but the top panel is missing! Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

741Baus
November 16th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Hi latvian ,I don't run 11.10 I run 10.04 , however if you have a bottom panel right click on it and add another panel , right click-Properties-Orientation-Top-Close . Right click panel-add to panel and add any apps that you need .

741Baus
November 16th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Hi Latvian I Googled your problem and perhaps its better to follow this guide from this link

[URL=http://dageek247.tk/wordpress/?p=76[/URL]

I did this a few weeks ago after I stopped using AWN dock and need both top and bottom panels restored to default and if I remember correctly it worked.

I don't know if you put sudo in front of the commands but try it with out first and see if it works if not then insert sudo in front of all those commands and run them .

latvian
November 17th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Thanks a lot for your reply. I added the top panel the way you told me too then I followed the guide in the link you provided and got the same panel that I have just added! I mean, I didn't get the original Ubuntu classic panel that comes with the shortcuts like the sound, keyboard, WIFI signal and so on... Any ideas?

741Baus
November 17th, 2011, 11:51 PM
Latvian if your right click on the top panel and select ad to panel a drop down list of applications to add will be shown , for Wi-Fi add notification area for sound volume control not to sure about keyboard app ? what do you want caps/number lock indicator .
What I have on the top panel from right to left mine is, Application ,Places, System, Web-Browser, E-mail as per default , top panel , left Notification area with Pulse Audio Device Chooser ,Caps/Number lock (Had to add that my self as my keyboard doesn't have an Indicator light) Volume control, Network manager, Weather,Calendar,Log-out switch user and Shut down computer.
All of these you can add ,via add to panel except Caps lock which has to be manually added , also I seem to remember that Network Manager app may not appear Googling Network-manager missing from top panel gives a hole list of ways to achieve this hopes this helps .

barraclm
November 19th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Help please. I am using the classic GNOME desktop with Ubuntu 11.10. I can add panels and take them away. I can also add applications to a panel. However, how do I remove an application from a panel please. Also, How do I get the Applications and Places back on the panel?

741Baus
November 20th, 2011, 12:42 AM
barraclm to add Applications,Places etc right click top panel add to panel Main Menu "a custom menu bar" will add what you want .
To remove an app right click on app in tab that pops up should have remove from panel click that and app will be removed