PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Is the Swap File Partition necessary?

cybrsaylr
November 16th, 2011, 05:56 PM
I was wondering if Swap is needed?

Just went back to 64 bit Natty on my laptop after trying out 64 bit Ocelot and finding it slower and still buggy. Plus Banshee would freeze up too often. Ocelot has some nice improvements but I still think too many things have to be ironed out. Natty OTOH seems rock solid.

Anyways I dual boot with Windows and my Linux partition was getting a bit cluttered. It had 2 swap files, for some reason and another small partition that I have no idea why it was there. When I reinstalled Natty the Linux partition was formatted to clear everything and Natty installed flawlessly. However I didn't create a Swap file because I have 4 GB of RAM and 64 bit Natty recognizes 3.7 GB of that RAM.

So the question is, was this OK?
So far 64 bit Natty seems to be running fine and rock solid again, a bit better than my experience with 64 bit Ocelot.

Frogs Hair
November 16th, 2011, 06:03 PM
It is my understanding that if you want to hibernate you will need swap .

WasMeHere
November 16th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Hi cybrsaylr,

Short answer: No, if you have enough RAM for your applications, it is OK.

Longer answer: If you want to save your state (hibernate): Yes, at least as much as your RAM. If you sometimes run a memory-intensive application: yes, you might need some swapping and if you have a huge disk, you could put it at 'the end' and make it twice the size of your RAM. But I think many people now say it is not necessary. There are also people who use a swap file (like in Windows) instead of a partition (but I don't know the details how to do that).

Have fun continuing to find out :-)
Olle

cybrsaylr
November 16th, 2011, 06:19 PM
To tell you the truth, not sure or noticed if I ever wanted to save my state (hibernate) in the past.

Before with Natty there was a 3.7 GB 'swap' partition and when Ocelot was installed I noticed another 3.7 GB 'swap' partition was created so there were 2 swaps! Not sure why this occurred.

Don't really run any memory-intensive applications.
But I did have a problem with a couple buggy games in the past that used up all RAM and then almost all of the swap! Ended up just removing them.

Can a swap partition still be easily created if desired or not?

An Sanct
November 16th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Well, if you have no swap and run out of memory, then you have problem. I have 8GiB of ram and 32Gib of swap (I personally set it to such a high amount). Even with 8G of ram, I still run out and have to swap at times, but that is mostly because of my Virtual Machines and non-optimal SQL queries...

An Sanct
November 16th, 2011, 06:24 PM
To tell you the truth, not sure or noticed if I ever wanted to save my state (hibernate) in the past.

Before with Natty there was a 3.7 GB 'swap' partition and when Ocelot was installed I noticed another 3.7 GB 'swap' partition was created so there were 2 swaps! Not sure why this occurred.

Don't really run any run memory-intensive applications.
But I did have a problem with a couple buggy games in the past that used up all RAM and then almost all of the swap! Ended up just removing them.

Yes, you can create swap any time you wish.

Use a Live USB/CD and gparted to do so, AFAIK you have to put it inside the fstab and enable it.

WasMeHere
November 16th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Yes, with Gparted from a live Ubuntu CD or USB drive you can create and delete swap partitions as well as other kinds of partitions.

At least you can delete one of your swap areas (check in /etc/fstab which of them your present system is using).

bluexrider
November 16th, 2011, 06:30 PM
You don't need more than one swap file on your partition and as it goes the rule of thumb has always been 1.5 times the machine's memory. I would delete the swap with the lowest uuid leaving the other closest to the end of the hard drive.

Yes, it is. By using Gparted or some other partitioning software.

cybrsaylr
November 16th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the help guys.
Need a little more.
This is what GParted shows me:

http://i.imgur.com/QCf72.png

Where should I create the swap partition?
When trying to create a swap in either sda3 or sda5, GParted blocks it saying it can't be done. GParted reports: 1 partition is currently active on device /dev/sda.
What am I doing wrong? I never did this with GParted before and am not sure what I'm doing.

WasMeHere
November 16th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Do you intend to keep both systems (Windows as well as Ubuntu)? Or are you going to erase Ubuntu and start with a fresh install? Are you planning to keep your personal data (documents, pictures, media files ...) on the big NTFS partition?

The big NTFS partition seems a little oversized compared to the extended partition, so the perfect solution would be to shrink and delete the extended partition, then make a new extended partition filling all the unallocated space. Then you can make a swap partition and an ext3 partition for linux as logical partitions. But it is risky, so you need to backup your drive (make a clone or image) before doing anything like that.

The simple solution would be to wipe the ext4 partition and make a swap partition and an ext3 partition for linux as logical partitions. It means that the linux partition will be small, say 15 GB, but it is enough if you keep your data on the Windows partition. If you are really fond of your present system, you could also shrink the ext4 partition (to give space for the swap), but again it is risky, you need a backup.

Edit: You should boot from another drive when editing partitions and you should not mount the partitions to edit

cybrsaylr
November 16th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Do you intend to keep both systems (Windows as well as Ubuntu)? Or are you going to erase Ubuntu and start with a fresh install? Are you planning to keep your personal data (documents, pictures, media files ...) on the big NTFS partition?

Edit: You should boot from another drive when editing partitions and you should not mount the partitions to edit

Was worried about that.
Thanks for the tips Olle.

Yeah I pretty much use the Windows partition for storage. When upgrading I move the 'Home' File to the Windows side, upgrade Ubuntu, then bring Home back to the Linux side after the upgade not losing a thing.

WasMeHere
November 16th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Watch out for permissions when moving /home to an NTFS drive. It is ok if you make an image of it (tarball or whatever), but if you copy the files, there might be problems because the read,write,execute bits of linux are not supported by NTFS, where the permissions are set when mounted and the same for all files seen from linux.

philinux
November 16th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Well, if you have no swap and run out of memory, then you have problem. I have 8GiB of ram and 32Gib of swap (I personally set it to such a high amount). Even with 8G of ram, I still run out and have to swap at times, but that is mostly because of my Virtual Machines and non-optimal SQL queries...

I'm afraid that much swap is probably a waste of disk space. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq

matt_symes
November 16th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Hi

Is the swap partition necessary ?In your case i would just create a swap file, not a swap partition, in your root partition.

Then just edit your fstab to use the swap file.

Messing with partitions is dangerous at the best of times and i suggest backing up before hand.

Just my thoughts.... and, of course, it gives you another option :)

Kind regards

cybrsaylr
November 16th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Hi

In your case i would just create a swap file, not a swap partition, in your root partition.

Then just edit your fstab to use the swap file.
Makes sense but I have never done this.
Is it easy and can you post how it is done?

An Sanct
November 16th, 2011, 11:02 PM
I'm afraid that much swap is probably a waste of disk space. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq
I believe you, but at a certain point of installing I decided to spare 32G off my second 1T HDD and delete the auto-generated swap, that was dwelling on my precious (tiny 64GB) SSD

If it is too much, may the gods have fun with it ;) (just not on my SSD)

PS. thanks you for the link ... will read it through ...

An Sanct
November 16th, 2011, 11:03 PM

This guide (http://ubuntuguide.net/howto-expand-swap-space-by-adding-a-swap-file-in-ubuntu) should help :)

matt_symes
November 16th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Hi

The general idea is here.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-add-a-swap-file-howto/

Have a read of it. You need to create the file to be at least the size of you ram if you want to hibernate.

Also, if you want to hibernate you need to update your initramfs. The process is easy though.

If you want to use it to hibernate then post back. Any questions then post back.

Kind regards

cybrsaylr
November 16th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Hi

The general idea is here.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-add-a-swap-file-howto/

Have a read of it. You need to create the file to be at least the size of you ram if you want to hibernate.

Seems simple enough.

Therefore is this the correct procedure to create a 4 GB swap file:

If you; Type following command to create 512MB swap file (1024 * 512MB = 524288 block size)
Then I assume you; Type following command to create 4GB swap file (1024 * 4096MB = 4194304 block size)

Therefore the b) code should be:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile1 bs=1024 count=4194304

Is this correct?

Then I wonder if those 5 lines of code namely, b, c, d, e, and Append code, should be entered 1 line at a time or all 5 together when putting those code lines in terminal?

I'm not a real expert at using command line.....

matt_symes
November 17th, 2011, 12:15 AM
Seems simple enough.

Therefore is this the correct procedure to create a 4 GB swap file:

If you; Type following command to create 512MB swap file (1024 * 512MB = 524288 block size)
Then I assume you; Type following command to create 4GB swap file (1024 * 4096MB = 4194304 block size)

Therefore the b) code should be:

Quote:
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile1 bs=1024 count=4194304
Is this correct?

That looks good; yes.

Then I wonder if those 5 lines of code namely, b, c, d, e, and Append code, should be entered 1 line at a time or all 5 together when putting those code lines in terminal?They should be entered on five separate lines one after another hitting enter after each step.

In the line

vi /etc/fstabi would suggest using nano and not vi.

So to sum up.

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile1 bs=1024 count=4194304Enter your password. It will not be echoed to the screen

sudo mkswap /swapfile1 This will format the file as a swap file.

sudo swapon /swapfile1 This will start using the swap file. Check this by typing

free -mor

swapon -s4.
sudo nano /etc/fstabto start editing you fstab file

5. Add the line

/swapfile1 none swap defaults 0 0
Press ctrl + o to save and ctrl + x to exit.

If you then want to hibernate you have to update your initramfs. Post back if interested or any problems.

Kind regards

matt_symes
November 17th, 2011, 12:22 AM
Hi

Be double sure to read my last post as i just fixed some typos

Kind regards

cybrsaylr
November 17th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Hi,
Success I believe.
Got this in terminal:
http://i.imgur.com/CtopO.png

Was wondering since this is a swap file and not a partition, where is it located for view? Since it will not show up as a partition in GParted.

Also you posted, "If you then want to hibernate you have to update your initramfs."

Is this as easy to do?

An Sanct
November 17th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Hi,
Success I believe.
Got this in terminal:
http://i.imgur.com/CtopO.png

Was wondering since this is a swap file and not a partition, where is it located for view? Since it will not show up as a partition in GParted.

Also you posted, "If you then want to hibernate you have to update your initramfs."

Is this as easy to do?
The picture you posted suggests, that its location is /swapfile1

To update the 'initramfs', the command update-initramfs should do the trick. (I'm almost 99.99% you have to be root, so sudo will help :))

PS. here is a nice manpage about intiramfs (http://man.he.net/man8/update-initramfs) (worth reading)

Elfy
November 17th, 2011, 09:25 AM
... i would suggest using nano and not vi... I prefer to use nano as well for this type of thing - I use the nano -B so it creates a backup though.

matt_symes
November 17th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Hi

It's a tiny bit more complicated than just calling update-initramfs to get Ubuntu to use the swap file for hibernation.

You need the offset of the file in the partition and you need to update the file /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume and then call update-initramfs.

From the terminal type

filefrag -v /swapfile1and also

cat /proc/cmdlineThese two should give the UUID of your root partition and the offset of the swap file in that partition.

Post the results back here.

BTW: Update initramfs does require sudo privilege elevation.

I am also assuming you are using kernel hibernate and not any user space hibernation.

Kind regards

cybrsaylr
November 18th, 2011, 04:41 AM
hi,

Finally got around to doing that.
Here's the results:
http://i.imgur.com/QoTqz.png

Did it work?

BTW I can't find this newly created /swapfile1

Just where is it located?

WasMeHere
November 18th, 2011, 08:50 AM
The swapfile is located in the root directory /

cd /
ls -l
should show it.

It is not in use yet. matt_symes was waiting for the output you just posted, and I think he will soon give you instructions.

matt_symes
November 18th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Hi

From the terminal type.

sudo bash -c 'echo resume=UUID=22dc431a-e72e-4524-a470-01dfdf3fe806 resume_offset=3377152 > /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume'
Enter your password. It will not be echoed to the screen.

Then type

sudo update-initramfs -uMy original notes were taken from here.

http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/power/swsusp-and-swap-files.txt

It suggests updating the kernel command line. I have also just come across this tutorial as well.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1042946

It also suggests updating the kernel command line.

I expect i used the above two tutorials when i created my last swap file as my notes are similar. I'm pretty sure i had to update legacy grub last time i did this. The first one was written by the guy who wrote swsusp. So kudos to both of them.

So let's update grub..

sudo nano -B /etc/default/grubLook for the line that says

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"and change it to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash resume=UUID=22dc431a-e72e-4524-a470-01dfdf3fe806 resume_offset=3377152"Then type

sudo update-grubNext reboot your PC.

You should, hopefully, be good to go.

Be very careful typing in the uuids and the offsets. Check, double and then triple check them again.

A tip for you. You can copy and paste text from the terminal by highlighting it, right clicking on it and selecting copy. You can then paste it into a post. You can also do the converse and paste into the terminal.

It's better than taking a screen shot.

EDIT: Nice nano tip forestpiskie :)

Kind regards

cybrsaylr
November 18th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Hi,
I got to the part:

Code:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
and change it to

but I am having problems changing that line to:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash resume=UUID=22dc431a-e72e-4524-a470-01dfdf3fe806 resume_offset=3377152"

as you instruct.
Haven't done this before or very often.....

BTW, To avoid typos doing this I usually copy and paste the code. Have found this more reliable than attempting to type in the code and missing a letter or stroke in long code lines. Hope this a OK.

matt_symes
November 18th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Hi

but I am having problems changing that line to:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash resume=UUID=22dc431a-e72e-4524-a470-01dfdf3fe806 resume_offset=3377152" as you instruct. No problem. Let's try it with gedit instead.

In the terminal close nano b pressing ctrl + x. Don't save the file.

Press alt + F2 and type

gksudo gedit /etc/default/grubEnter your password as usual.

Edit the line and save.

You may find gedit easier than nano.

Then continue the steps from my last post.

Kind regards

cybrsaylr
November 18th, 2011, 06:09 PM
OK,

Followed that, then ran

sudo update-grub

and got this output in terminal:

rr@rr-Satellite-A215:~$ sudo update-grub
[sudo] password for rr:
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-12-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-12-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Found Windows Vista (loader) on /dev/sda2
done

Did it work?

matt_symes
November 18th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Hi

Did it work?Looks like it.

Reboot your PC. Open a terminal and type

free -mand

cat /proc/cmdlinePost both results back here.

Kind regards

cybrsaylr
November 18th, 2011, 06:27 PM
After reboot here are the results:

rr@rr-Satellite-A215:~$ free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 3835 692 3142 0 43 238
-/+ buffers/cache: 409 3425
Swap: 40 0 40
rr@rr-Satellite-A215:~$ cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-12-generic root=UUID=22dc431a-e72e-4524-a470-01dfdf3fe806 ro quiet splash resume=UUID=22dc431a-e72e-4524-a470-01dfdf3fe806 resume_offset=3377152 vt.handoff=7

I will have to study this because it's all greek to me....lol...
Never did this before.

matt_symes
November 18th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Hi

After reboot here are the results:

Mem: 3835 692 3142 0 43 238
-/+ buffers/cache: 409 3425
Swap: 40 0 40
BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-12-generic root=UUID=22dc431a-e72e-4524-a470-01dfdf3fe806 ro quiet splash resume=UUID=22dc431a-e72e-4524-a470-01dfdf3fe806 resume_offset=3377152 vt.handoff=7 I will have to study this because it's all greek to me....lol...
Never did this before.

Well. It's almost correct. The swap file is too small. I have just run through the steps on my PC to make sure they work.

Take a look at this.

This created the file for me (in different location than yours)

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/sda2/swapfile1 bs=1024 count=4194304This was the file created.

matthew@matthew-Aspire-7540:~$ ls /media/sda2/ -l
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4294967296 Nov 18 17:55 swapfile1
matthew@matthew-Aspire-7540:~$I then formatted it.

sudo mkswap /media/sda2/swapfile1Set it as the swap file.

sudo swapon /media/sda2/swapfile1and these are my results from free.

matthew@matthew-Aspire-7540:~$ free -m
Mem: 2771 2615 156 0 27 1180
-/+ buffers/cache: 1407 1364
Swap: 4095 1 4094
matthew@matthew-Aspire-7540:~$ My swap file is larger than yours for some reason.

Can you run this command

swapon -sand these two

cat /etc/fstab
ls -l /swapfile1and post back results.

Kind regards

cybrsaylr
November 18th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Hi,
Ran it, here's the results:

rr@rr-Satellite-A215:~$ swapon -s
Filename Type Size Used Priority
/swapfile1 file 41936 0 -1
rr@rr-Satellite-A215:~$ cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
# for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
# devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
/dev/sda5 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
/swapfile1 none swap defaults 0 0

rr@rr-Satellite-A215:~$ ls -l /swapfile1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 42949632 2011-11-16 23:25 /swapfile1

matt_symes
November 18th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Hi

Your swap file

/swapfile1 file 41936 0 -1My swap file.

matthew@matthew-Aspire-7540:~$ swapon -s
/media/sda2/swapfile1 file 4194300 0 -1
matthew@matthew-Aspire-7540:~$I'm not sure what happened there. I thought we both used the same sizes for dd.

You have a 40Mb swap file and not a 4Gb.

I am just going to eat. We can continue later if you like.

Kind regards

cybrsaylr
November 18th, 2011, 08:06 PM
OK, enjoy your meal....

matt_symes
November 19th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Hi

Turned into a rather long meal that one. Well it was Friday night here.

Anyway back to the problem in hand. The swap file is too small.

The issue is i don't know any way to increase the size of the swap file whilst keeping it in the same location (anybody else know ?). It needs to stay in the same location because resume uses the resume-offset (the postition of the swap file in the filing system) to find the swap file after hibernation. The resume-offset value has already been plugged into your initramfs and grub.

You can have multiple swap files but i don't think they play well with hibernation.

Therefore i think the safest way is to start again if you like. Now you have completed the steps once it should be easy.

Let me sum them for you.

1. Disable swap

sudo swapoff -a2. Remove your existing swap file.

sudo rm /swapfile1We will keep your entry in fstab as we will use the same file name.

3. Create the new swap file.

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile1 bs=1024 count=41943044. Format it as a swap file

sudo mkswap /swapfile15. Add as swap file

sudo swapon /swapfile16. Check the swap file size

swapon -sand look for this

/swapfile1 file 4194300 0 -1Once we are sure this is correct we will set up hibernation again. That should also be pretty quick.

Kind regards

cybrsaylr
November 20th, 2011, 03:21 AM
Hi again,
Finally got around to it and it appears OK.....I think.

Here's terminal output:

rr@rr-Satellite-A215:~$ sudo swapoff -a
[sudo] password for rr:
rr@rr-Satellite-A215:~$ sudo swapoff -a
rr@rr-Satellite-A215:~$ sudo rm /swapfile1
rr@rr-Satellite-A215:~$ sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile1 bs=1024 count=41943044194304+0 records in
4194304+0 records out
4294967296 bytes (4.3 GB) copied, 172.322 s, 24.9 MB/s
rr@rr-Satellite-A215:~$ sudo mkswap /swapfile1
Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 4194300 KiB
no label, UUID=85ac7f5e-3969-4c57-9087-032e90ddedc0
rr@rr-Satellite-A215:~$ sudo swapon /swapfile1
/swapfile1 file 4194300 0 -1

Ran:
sudo update-grub

Rebooted PC then ran the following and got this in terminal:

rr@rr-Satellite-A215:~$ sudo update-grub
[sudo] password for rr:
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-12-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-12-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Found Windows Vista (loader) on /dev/sda2
done

Mem: 3835 705 3129 0 45 229
-/+ buffers/cache: 430 3404
Swap: 4095 0 4095

BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-12-generic root=UUID=22dc431a-e72e-4524-a470-01dfdf3fe806 ro quiet splash resume=UUID=22dc431a-e72e-4524-a470-01dfdf3fe806 resume_offset=3377152 vt.handoff=7

I took a look at this with GParted which shows an extra ~4GB of space being used in the Linux partition which I assume is due to this newly created Swapfile.

matt_symes
November 21st, 2011, 01:01 PM
Hi

That's looking much better :)

To make sure hibernation will work please post the output of

filefrag -v /swapfile1It is most possible the offset of the file will have changed and we have to update initramfs and GRUB.

Kind regards

cybrsaylr
November 21st, 2011, 05:38 PM
Hi,
Here's that requested output:

rr@rr-Satellite-A215:~$ filefrag -v /swapfile1
Filesystem type is: ef53
File size of /swapfile1 is 4294967296 (1048576 blocks, blocksize 4096)
ext logical physical expected length flags
0 0 114688 2048
1 2048 120832 116735 2048
2 4096 131072 122879 2048
3 6144 147456 133119 2048
4 8192 460800 149503 2048
5 10240 501760 462847 2048
6 12288 618496 503807 2048
7 14336 665600 620543 4096
8 18432 4296704 669695 32768
9 51200 4329472 32768
10 83968 4362240 32768
11 116736 4395008 32768
12 149504 4427776 32768
13 182272 4460544 32768
14 215040 4493312 30720
15 245760 4526080 4524031 4096
16 249856 4534272 4530175 32768
17 282624 4567040 32768
18 315392 4599808 32768
19 348160 4632576 32768
20 380928 4665344 2048
21 382976 4669440 4667391 32768
22 415744 4702208 16384
23 432128 4751360 4718591 32768
24 464896 4784128 32768
25 497664 4816896 32768
26 530432 4849664 32768
27 563200 4882432 32768
28 595968 4915200 32768
29 628736 4947968 10240
30 638976 4960256 4958207 32768
31 671744 4993024 2048
32 673792 684032 4995071 2048
33 675840 671744 686079 8192
34 684032 688128 679935 2048
35 686080 712704 690175 2048
36 688128 692224 714751 4096
37 692224 727040 696319 4096
38 696320 739328 731135 32768
39 729088 772096 32768
40 761856 804864 14336
41 776192 821248 819199 32768
42 808960 854016 30720
43 839680 886784 884735 32768
44 872448 919552 32768
45 905216 952320 32768
46 937984 985088 32768
47 970752 1017856 30720
48 1001472 1140736 1048575 6144
49 1007616 1148928 1146879 32768
50 1040384 1181696 8192 eof
/swapfile1: 25 extents found

matt_symes
November 21st, 2011, 05:54 PM
Hi

Copy and paste each of these command from this post into a terminal one after another.

sudo bash -c 'echo resume=UUID=22dc431a-e72e-4524-a470-01dfdf3fe806 resume_offset=114688 > /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume'Double check it's correct by looking with

cat /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume
sudo update-initramfs -u
sudo sed -i 's/resume_offset=3377152/resume_offset=114688/g' /etc/default/grubDouble check again.

cat /etc/default/grub
sudo update-grubReboot your PC and you should (hopefully) then be able to hibernate.

Kind regards

cybrsaylr
November 21st, 2011, 06:10 PM
Hi,
Just completed instructions in your last post and rebooted PC.

Hopefully that did the trick.
Is there any way to confirm?

matt_symes
November 21st, 2011, 06:15 PM
Hi

Try to hibernate and resume.

Good luck. This has worked on my machine so it should also work on yours.

Kind regards

cybrsaylr
November 21st, 2011, 06:35 PM
Hi,

Well I clicked hibernate on laptop and it went black after a few seconds.
I waited a few minutes and tried to resume but nothing happens....

How do you resume?
I never went into hibernate by clicking on hibernate before.
Am posting this from my desktop.

OK, I then closed laptop cover.
Waited a short bit, then opened lid and laptop reboots on its own.
Upon reboot I open Opera browser.
Opera asks if I want to go back to where I previously was.
I click yes and Opera takes me to exactly where I left off before clicking hibernate. (This is a feature of Opera I have used in the past and like.)

So did hibernate work or did Opera merely do its thing?

matt_symes
November 21st, 2011, 06:53 PM
Hi

From your description i am not sure if the laptop is suspending or hibernating.

Open a terminal and type

sudo pm-hibernate

That will make it hibernate. You will need to hit the power button to wake it up.

Kind regards

cybrsaylr
November 21st, 2011, 07:08 PM
Hi,

Thanks for everything matt, will do.

Thanks again.

cybrsaylr
November 21st, 2011, 09:19 PM
Hi

From your description i am not sure if the laptop is suspending or hibernating.

Open a terminal and type

sudo pm-hibernate

That will make it hibernate. You will need to hit the power button to wake it up.

Kind regards

Hi,

Did the above in your last post and this is what occurs.

Laptop appears to shutdown. I hit power button and laptop seems to go through a normal reboot, only sound is muted. I just turn on the sound. When Opera browser is opened Opera asks if the previous session should be restored. I click yes and Opera restores the last session.

Same thing occurs when clicking on the top far right corner symbol, then clicking on hibernate from the drop-down choices. Laptop appears to shutdown. I hit power button and laptop seems to go through a normal reboot, only sound is muted. I just turn on the sound. When Opera browser is opened Opera asks if the previous session should be restored. I click yes and Opera restores the last session.

When I do a normal restart or shutdown laptop will shutdown. Then it restarts normally without the sound being muted.

Just thought of posting this because I'm not sure what is going on since I have never put laptop directly into hibernate mode before. I would just let it go through the normal screen-saver then suspend mode. Then when any key is hit, all of where I was at last is restored.

Just curious on what is happening here?

matt_symes
November 22nd, 2011, 01:24 AM
Hi

Hi,

Did the above in your last post and this is what occurs.

Laptop appears to shutdown. I hit power button and laptop seems to go through a normal reboot, only sound is muted. I just turn on the sound. When Opera browser is opened Opera asks if the previous session should be restored. I click yes and Opera restores the last session.

Same thing occurs when clicking on the top far right corner symbol, then clicking on hibernate from the drop-down choices. Laptop appears to shutdown. I hit power button and laptop seems to go through a normal reboot, only sound is muted. I just turn on the sound. When Opera browser is opened Opera asks if the previous session should be restored. I click yes and Opera restores the last session.

When I do a normal restart or shutdown laptop will shutdown. Then it restarts normally without the sound being muted.

Just thought of posting this because I'm not sure what is going on since I have never put laptop directly into hibernate mode before. I would just let it go through the normal screen-saver then suspend mode. Then when any key is hit, all of where I was at last is restored.

Just curious on what is happening here?

When you hibernate all your programs will be written to the hard drive so it will go
through the normal boot process. During hibernation everything is powered off. When you startup all your applications you had open when you hibernated will still be there when you come out of hibernation.

When you suspend almost everything is shutdown apart from just enough charge to keep the memory refreshed (and a couple of other things). When you restart all you applications will also still be open. Because there is still a trickle charge going to the memory then your battery will still lose charge but much slower than with normal running.

Hibernation uses no power as everything, including the memory, is powered off.

Let's see how hibernation went. From the terminal...

sudo rm /var/log/pm-suspend.log

Hibernate your laptop. Bring it back around, open a terminal and type

cat /var/log/pm-suspend.log

Post back results here.

Kind regards

cybrsaylr
November 22nd, 2011, 02:10 AM
Hi,

Here's the results:

rr@rr-Satellite-A215:~$ cat /var/log/pm-suspend.log
Initial commandline parameters:
Mon Nov 21 20:04:32 EST 2011: Running hooks for hibernate.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/000kernel-change hibernate hibernate:

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/000kernel-change hibernate hibernate: success.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00logging hibernate hibernate:
Linux rr-Satellite-A215 2.6.38-12-generic #51-Ubuntu SMP Wed Sep 28 14:27:32 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Module Size Used by
parport_pc 36959 0
ppdev 17113 0
snd_hda_codec_realtek 336771 1
arc4 12529 2
snd_hda_intel 33176 4
snd_hda_codec 103804 2 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep 13604 1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm 96391 3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
radeon 982182 4
snd_seq_midi 13324 0
snd_rawmidi 30486 1 snd_seq_midi
binfmt_misc 17565 1
ath5k 155612 0
snd_seq_midi_event 14899 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 61621 2 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
ttm 76664 1 radeon
ath 23773 1 ath5k
mac80211 294370 1 ath5k
drm_kms_helper 42394 1 radeon
snd_timer 29602 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 14462 3 snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
snd 67382 16 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec, snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,sn d_seq_device
psmouse 73535 0
edac_core 53845 0
soundcore 12680 1 snd
r852 18246 0
sm_common 16817 1 r852
drm 227534 6 radeon,ttm,drm_kms_helper
serio_raw 13166 0
k8temp 13016 0
joydev 17606 0
nand 55112 2 r852,sm_common
nand_ids 12723 1 nand
nand_ecc 13230 1 nand
mtd 27900 2 sm_common,nand
sp5100_tco 13744 0
snd_page_alloc 18529 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
i2c_piix4 13303 0
edac_mce_amd 23464 0
video 19438 0
cfg80211 178528 3 ath5k,ath,mac80211
sparse_keymap 13898 0
i2c_algo_bit 13400 1 radeon
shpchp 37297 0
lp 17825 0
parport 46458 3 parport_pc,ppdev,lp
firewire_ohci 40370 0
usbhid 46956 0
hid 91020 1 usbhid
ahci 25951 1
sdhci_pci 13989 0
sdhci 27387 1 sdhci_pci
libahci 26642 1 ahci
firewire_core 62646 1 firewire_ohci
crc_itu_t 12707 1 firewire_core
r8169 48022 0
pata_atiixp 13165 0
Mem: 3927104 958744 2968360 0 54228 348444
-/+ buffers/cache: 556072 3371032
Swap: 4194300 0 4194300

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00logging hibernate hibernate: success.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00powersave hibernate hibernate:

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00powersave hibernate hibernate: success.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/01PulseAudio hibernate hibernate:
Welcome to PulseAudio! Use "help" for usage information.
>>> >>> Welcome to PulseAudio! Use "help" for usage information.
>>> >>> Welcome to PulseAudio! Use "help" for usage information.
>>> >>>
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/01PulseAudio hibernate hibernate: success.
Running hook /etc/pm/sleep.d/10_grub-common hibernate hibernate:

/etc/pm/sleep.d/10_grub-common hibernate hibernate: success.
Running hook /etc/pm/sleep.d/10_unattended-upgrades-hibernate hibernate hibernate:

/etc/pm/sleep.d/10_unattended-upgrades-hibernate hibernate hibernate: success.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/49bluetooth hibernate hibernate:

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/49bluetooth hibernate hibernate: success.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/55NetworkManager hibernate hibernate:
Having NetworkManager put all interaces to sleep...Failed.

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/55NetworkManager hibernate hibernate: success.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/60_wpa_supplicant hibernate hibernate:
Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/60_wpa_supplicant hibernate hibernate: success.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/75modules hibernate hibernate:

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/75modules hibernate hibernate: success.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/90clock hibernate hibernate:

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/90clock hibernate hibernate: success.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/94cpufreq hibernate hibernate:

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/94cpufreq hibernate hibernate: success.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/95anacron hibernate hibernate:
stop: Unknown instance:

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/95anacron hibernate hibernate: success.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/95hdparm-apm hibernate hibernate:

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/95hdparm-apm hibernate hibernate: success.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/95led hibernate hibernate:

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/95led hibernate hibernate: success.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/98video-quirk-db-handler hibernate hibernate:
Kernel modesetting video driver detected, not using quirks.

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/98video-quirk-db-handler hibernate hibernate: success.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video hibernate hibernate:

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video hibernate hibernate: success.
Mon Nov 21 20:04:34 EST 2011: performing hibernate

An Sanct
November 22nd, 2011, 02:12 AM
There is only one "Fail"

Having NetworkManager put all interaces to sleep...Failed.

Are you using wifi or any other wireless communication solutions?

cybrsaylr
November 22nd, 2011, 02:21 AM
I use a wireless router.

An Sanct
November 22nd, 2011, 09:26 AM
Well, you can try to disable wireless and then suspend the machine.

Note, that I am just guessing here :) So if you have time to spare, its a shot, with a small chance of being the right answer.