PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ATI Radeon x1200 visual effects?

veidar45
November 16th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Hello, I installed the ATI Radeon x1200 drivers and now I can't enable visual effects....they were enabled by default. I installed the driver because with the default driver, the video (movie, for example) playback was very bad and slow....Now with the ATI driver, the video is fine.

Any ideas on how can I enable visual effects, or how can I improve watching a video with the default drivers? I'm using VLC media player. :)

Thanks! Cheers :)

BillyBoa
November 16th, 2011, 12:55 PM
I don't have a computer with ATI in front of me but I think if you search for AMD you have a console to make changes.

If you are using 11.04 or 11.10 push dash and search for AMD.

If you use earlier Ubuntu search in Accessories, Other or System Tools.

veidar45
November 16th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Yeah, but I can't turn either the "Normal" or "Extra" visual effects on....Can I roll back to the original (default) driver by any chance? :)

BillyBoa
November 16th, 2011, 05:29 PM
In that case follow the instructions here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/FglrxInteferesWithRadeonDriver

khelben1979
November 16th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Yeah, but I can't turn either the "Normal" or "Extra" visual effects on....Can I roll back to the original (default) driver by any chance? :)

You can uninstall the ATi driver so the Linux kernel takes care of the video driver for you, the slow driver.

Experimenting with different versions of the ATi drivers might give the results your looking for. If you're an experienced Linux user it might be worth the time, otherwise getting a more modern video card (if possible) would be a better idea.

veidar45
November 16th, 2011, 06:51 PM
But the visual effects run fine with the default driver (my videocard is young enough).... So ok, just tell me how can I improve my VLC video playback with the default drivers? :)

khelben1979
November 16th, 2011, 10:20 PM
But the visual effects run fine with the default driver (my videocard is young enough).... So ok, just tell me how can I improve my VLC video playback with the default drivers? :)

To my knowledge, that isn't possible.