PDA

View Full Version : 12.04 lacking already

keymanu
November 16th, 2011, 01:43 AM
I for one hope someone reads this post who may speak up.

I quote from :http://scottlinux.com/2011/07/06/shuttleworth-removes-terminal-from-ubuntu-12-04/

Mark Shuttleworth (http://www.markshuttleworth.com/) announced at the 2011 Ubuntu Developer Summit (http://uds.ubuntu.com/) that Ubuntu 12.04 LTS will be the first release to be shipped without a terminal.
(http://scottlinux.com/wp-content/gallery/misc/no_terminal_ubuntu.png)“Times have changed,” Shuttleworth remarked, adding “who uses a terminal anymore? That is a relic of an older Linux I don’t want users to be exposed to.”
When pressed to support his claims, Shuttleworth remarked, “It’s my company. I am the decider. Period.”

As I read that i found it a shame that his thinking is becoming more like windows then linux, but i also wonder if pressure is being put on him from the people pays the bills, Canonical.

As i read on many web pages ubuntu is being called " Canonical's popular Linux distribution (http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/204767/a_guide_to_todays_top_10_linux_distributions.html)" so maybe it's not his fault that he's lost touch with his user's.

In 11.04 they tried to stop us from using ALT-F1 but there was a work around to that as there will be for this as we can get and install terminal from source or package.

Yes it's his company and he has the right to do with it as he wish and if he wants to turn into bill gates that is up to him, but at the same time he must also allow us users to vent what we think could be a mistake.

When I wen to linux it was to configure it the way I wanted to, it was the first one of it's kind to allow it back in 1995, I watched red hat go down the same road, now ubuntu wil most likely do the same, be ware you have been warned.

I have been told many times on this forum " don't like it go else where." shame that follow users act like this, but expected.

I have said my piece and will now shut up again.

Keymanu

P.S. most likely this post will be deleted because we are not alllowed to talk bad about ubuntu. also a shame.

overdrank
November 16th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Moved to Ubuntu +1 (Precise Pangolin)

castrojo
November 16th, 2011, 01:48 AM
You know that blog post is made up right?

nosmadar
November 16th, 2011, 01:52 AM
IT is a Joke. Per quote from that page:

"PS: This post is a joke inspired by unity and this bug report. <link lost, sorry>"

AND:

"scott
Twitter: scottlinux
July 11, 2011 at 7:41 pm · Reply

Yep – this entire post is a joke. He never said that. But if you are following the latest Ubuntu and Unity development, you will see that Mark’s comments are not too far off from saying something like this. :) "

hansdown
November 16th, 2011, 02:01 AM
It is a joke.

Please, don't leave your seats.

kansasnoob
November 16th, 2011, 02:08 AM
You know that blog post is made up right?

I'm thinking it belongs in the cafe near to the crapper ;)

haqking
November 16th, 2011, 02:11 AM
http://thxforthe.info/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/DoubleFacePalm2.jpg

oldgeekster
November 16th, 2011, 02:23 AM
//snipped for brevity\\

Keymanu

P.S. most likely this post will be deleted because we are not alllowed to talk bad about ubuntu. also a shame.So Keymanu - now that you know it was a joke by Scott and that Mark did NOT say that - are you human enough to put [SOLVED] on the thread title? #Imjustasking

keymanu
November 16th, 2011, 02:29 AM
If you wan tit solved then i will, but i find it funny even one picked on the joke and not the underlaying meaning of my post, and it sadden me that no one read past the joke web page i used.

But maybe at the same time everyone thinks the same and are too scared to say it.

Keymanu

hansdown
November 16th, 2011, 02:37 AM
If you wan tit solved then i will, but i find it funny even one picked on the joke and not the underlaying meaning of my post, and it sadden me that no one read past the joke web page i used.

But maybe at the same time everyone thinks the same and are too scared to say it.

Keymanu

I'm not too scared to say it.

Thanks, keymanu.

effenberg0x0
November 16th, 2011, 03:27 AM
I for one hope someone reads this post who may speak up.

I quote from :http://scottlinux.com/2011/07/06/shuttleworth-removes-terminal-from-ubuntu-12-04/

Mark Shuttleworth (http://www.markshuttleworth.com/) announced at the 2011 Ubuntu Developer Summit (http://uds.ubuntu.com/) that Ubuntu 12.04 LTS will be the first release to be shipped without a terminal.
(http://scottlinux.com/wp-content/gallery/misc/no_terminal_ubuntu.png)“Times have changed,” Shuttleworth remarked, adding “who uses a terminal anymore? That is a relic of an older Linux I don’t want users to be exposed to.”
When pressed to support his claims, Shuttleworth remarked, “It’s my company. I am the decider. Period.”

As I read that i found it a shame that his thinking is becoming more like windows then linux, but i also wonder if pressure is being put on him from the people pays the bills, Canonical.

As i read on many web pages ubuntu is being called " Canonical's popular Linux distribution (http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/204767/a_guide_to_todays_top_10_linux_distributions.html)" so maybe it's not his fault that he's lost touch with his user's.

In 11.04 they tried to stop us from using ALT-F1 but there was a work around to that as there will be for this as we can get and install terminal from source or package.

Yes it's his company and he has the right to do with it as he wish and if he wants to turn into bill gates that is up to him, but at the same time he must also allow us users to vent what we think could be a mistake.

When I wen to linux it was to configure it the way I wanted to, it was the first one of it's kind to allow it back in 1995, I watched red hat go down the same road, now ubuntu wil most likely do the same, be ware you have been warned.

I have been told many times on this forum " don't like it go else where." shame that follow users act like this, but expected.

Keymanu

P.S. most likely this post will be deleted because we are not alllowed to talk bad about ubuntu. also a shame.

I LOL'ed. You are allowed to talk whatever you want about Ubuntu. What haters don't get is that people who like Ubuntu and Unity also have the right to respond. What bothers me is not that some people don't like Ubuntu or Unity, but they now feel this urge to go public and very loud, claiming the end of the Ubuntu era, like witch hunters ganging up on those that have also every right to disagree. I wonder WTF is happening to Linux people. In the past, Linux was cool, Linux people were cool. It was about change and innovation. We talked about freedom and such. Now it's just a bunch of whiners with too much free time available, ready to make everything into a political scene - even a freaking Compiz plugin / launcher, but too lazy or unintelligent to just Google a couple minutes and customize their no-real-use PC with whatever appearance they fancy.

If this post gets deleted, and it probably will, it's not because there's some sort on censorship or something, but because #1 it has nothing to do with testing Ubuntu+1, #2 you have managed to add absolutely nothing to the discussion, which probably is a reflect or you and your life. :)

hansdown
November 16th, 2011, 03:38 AM
I LOL'ed. You are allowed to talk whatever you want about Ubuntu. What haters don't get is that people who like Ubuntu and Unity also have the right to respond. What bothers me is not that some people don't like Ubuntu or Unity, but they now feel this urge to go public and very loud, claiming the end of the Ubuntu era, like witch hunters ganging up on those that have also every right to disagree. I wonder WTF is happening to Linux people. In the past, Linux was cool, Linux people were cool. It was about change and innovation. We talked about freedom and such. Now it's just a bunch of whiners with too much free time available, ready to make everything into a political scene - even a freaking Compiz plugin / launcher, but too lazy or unintelligent to just Google a couple minutes and customize their no-real-use PC with whatever appearance they fancy.

If this post gets deleted, and it probably will, it's not because there's some sort on censorship or something, but because #1 it has nothing to do with testing Ubuntu+1, #2 you have managed to add absolutely nothing to the discussion, which probably is a reflect or you and your life. :)

I don't disagree.

keymanu
November 16th, 2011, 03:46 AM
I didn't post it in here, i placed it in cafe, it was moved here. I knew it was for general discussion.

If that was the wrong place and this is, well then i don't know where it should belong.

either way, it's my thoughts and and I'm sticking to it. ( LOL )

No I'm not a hater, i didn't like the look and fell of unity and just un-installed it and replaced it with gnome 3 shell. I ask for help for what i want to do and not complain, but at some point we all have to vent in a hope someone will listen.

I feel one job in life is to make people think. do I want to upset people, no was not my intention.

Keymanu

hansdown
November 16th, 2011, 04:01 AM
keymanu, Your intentions, were good, and pure.

I'm not trying, to be funny.

As the thread progressed, your meaning, may have been, mis-interperated.

ronacc
November 16th, 2011, 04:09 AM
this thread is interesting on several levels . it illustrates how eaisly things are misinterpreted , it demonstrates how easily rumors get started and also reveals the level of fear that some of us have who are not comfortable with the direction Ubuntu seems to be taking .

cariboo
November 16th, 2011, 06:59 AM
I didn't post it in here, i placed it in cafe, it was moved here. I knew it was for general discussion.

If that was the wrong place and this is, well then i don't know where it should belong.

either way, it's my thoughts and and I'm sticking to it. ( LOL )

No I'm not a hater, i didn't like the look and fell of unity and just un-installed it and replaced it with gnome 3 shell. I ask for help for what i want to do and not complain, but at some point we all have to vent in a hope someone will listen.

I feel one job in life is to make people think. do I want to upset people, no was not my intention.

Keymanu

According to the edit records, this thread was originally posted in FF&H, so indeed it was posted in the wrong place.

I agree it should be in the Cafe, and have moved it there.

Your comment at the end of your first post is just plain FUD, this is an Ubuntu support forum, we are here to support and discuss Ubuntu in all it's various forms. You seem to be making a mistake in your assumption that Unity=Ubuntu. Ubuntu is far more than just a Desktop Environment, it is a community of users and developers, and everyone in between.

What we don't want to discuss are rants that have nothing constructive to say about the current state of affairs, but instead of banning members, or deleting posts, unless they are an obvious trolls, they will usually either be left where they are or moved to the Unity Mega thread in Recurring.

nothingspecial
November 16th, 2011, 11:54 AM
As this thread has been reported and seems to have run it's course I think we'll just leave it here.