PDA

View Full Version : Update Manager hangs on samba-common update

Galen Seitz
November 16th, 2011, 12:37 AM
I'm having a problem that seems to be related to Update Manager.

I performed a clean install of Mythbuntu 11.10, selecting Primary Backend w/Frontend during the install, as well as enabling SSH, Samba, and MythTV services. I did not select downloading of updates during the install. On the first boot after the install, I logged in and then exited the frontend which was autostarted. Next a ran Update Manager. It showed ~78 updates available, and I started the update process. After downloading all of the updates and starting to process some of them(progress bar at ~75%), Update Manager hangs/freezes. The final line in the details window begins with "setting up samba-common".

I think the reason it is hanging is that the smb.conf file in the samba-common update conflicts with a change that was made to the file during the Mythbuntu install. On a previous install+update attempt, I used apt-get upgrade rather than Update Manager. When I used apt-get, it prompted me to resolve a conflict with smb.conf. What should Update Manager be doing in this case? I've been unsuccessful when searching to find other reports of this problem, which is a bit puzzling, as I would expect others to have encountered it.

Presumably I can work around this by using apt-get upgrade, but if there really is a problem with Update Manager or some other piece, I'd like to report it so it can be fixed.

thanks,
galen

jerrrys
November 17th, 2011, 05:48 PM
try this first

open a terminal and enter

sudo dpkg --configure -a

you can also attempt to repair broken packages with the -f install command.

Fixing dependencies

dpkg --configure --pending If dpkg quits with an error while apt-get install, upgrade, or dist-upgradeing try running this to configure the packages that were already unpacked. Then try apt-get install, upgrade, or dist-upgrade -f, and then try apt-get install, upgrade, or dist-upgrade again. Repeat as needed. This usually resolves most dependency problems (also, if it mentions a specific package for some reason, you might want to try installing or removing that package)

apt-get install -f
apt-get upgrade -f
apt-get dist-upgrade -f Attempt to fix dependencies while doing one of the above. Note that apt-get install -f does not require a <package> argument.

that was taken from a handy package in the software center