PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Executable unable to find libGL

patman0623
November 15th, 2011, 11:50 PM
I've just upgraded to 64 bit. I'm hoping to run an executable (it's not open source... I only have access to it in binary form). But it's giving me an error message I didn't receive on my 32 bit install:

error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

What can I do to install libGL? Also, I realize it may not work given that I'm running a 64-bit installation, and it's a 32-bit executable.

patman0623
November 17th, 2011, 03:46 AM
Did I post this in the wrong section? I'm not getting any responses, and I'd like to know where to post it if so.

patman0623
November 21st, 2011, 09:34 PM
bump?

MG&TL
November 21st, 2011, 09:38 PM
I am not entirely sure if 32-bit will run on 64-bit at present. I will google.

Secondly, install synaptic:

sudo apt-get install synaptic

The launch it and search for: "libGL"-this should work for any missing library, just chop the .so off the end.

patman0623
November 21st, 2011, 10:00 PM
"libGL"-trhis should work for any missing library, just chop the .so off the end.

I don't understand. Please clarify.

There are a ton of libgl's.

azmyth
November 21st, 2011, 10:09 PM
sudo apt-get install apt-file
apt-file update
apt-file search 'libGL.so.1'

Then install the package that it says you need. Could be more than 1. I usually install until the program runs.

MG&TL
November 21st, 2011, 11:33 PM
I don't understand. Please clarify.

There are a ton of libgl's.

There is likely only one libgl(nothing).

If the program again complains of a missing library, search for it in synaptic without the .so file extension.

patman0623
November 21st, 2011, 11:50 PM
OK, I've located what I need. It's in ia32libs. However, it's in /usr/lib32/mesa/, and the system evidently isn't checking for .so's in that directory. What is the .so shared repository so that I can create a link?

There is likely only one libgl(nothing).Actually there isn't. FYI.

MG&TL
November 22nd, 2011, 12:14 AM
One of the places is /lib. My mistake, usually there is only one, and then a few libXYYYYYYYY. :)

patman0623
November 22nd, 2011, 01:08 AM
One of the places is /lib. My mistake, usually there is only one, and then a few libXYYYYYYYY. :)Thanks a lot! Unfortunately, the program still won't run: error while loading shared libraries: libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so.0: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

It looks like sudo apt-get install libgtkglext1 only installs a 64 bit version in /usr/lib, and ia32libs does not have a version. I will have to reboot and run it on another version of Ubuntu. :(

MG&TL
November 22nd, 2011, 06:30 PM
:( Sorry I can't help more.

Perhaps your software vendor will allow you to obtain a 64-bit version.

shervinemami
October 22nd, 2012, 11:00 AM
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I also had a program (VirtualBox) saying that the file "libGL.so.1" is missing. In my case I solved the problem by upgrading the packages "libgl1-mesa-glx" and "libgl1-mesa-dev" using Synaptic Package Manager. I didn't even have to logout :-)

This was caused because I was in the middle of changing my graphics configuration, I had completely removed the default "nouveau" graphics driver from my system (containing an nVidia Optimus GPU) and I switched to the "intel" driver without hardware acceleration.

wildmanne39
October 22nd, 2012, 04:21 PM
Thanks for sharing and please do not post in threads that have not had activity for a year or longer, since this is an old thread it has been closed.