PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows switcher in Oneiric for current workspace only?

calbaker
November 15th, 2011, 05:45 PM
I upgraded to Oneiric, and there is one change that is really annoying. In every previous Ubuntu, <Alt> + <Tab> switched between windows in the current workspace only, but in 11.10 <Alt>+<Tab> cycles between every open window.

If I have more than 10 or so windows open, part the greatness of workspaces is I don't have to cycle through all of them every time I want to go to a different window. I go to the workspace that contains the window I want, and then I go to the window.

There was also the option of <Super>+E that showed all windows and <Super>+W which showed the windows on the current workspace only. I really miss the old functionality because it was a really efficient way of sorting different things I was working on.

Why did they change it? Is there anything I can do to go back to the old way? Can I make sure the developers undo this change in 12.04?

cerda
November 15th, 2011, 08:11 PM
At first i was really upset about this too, but i got used to that, and now i even prefer this way.

It's been a time since i've used Unity, but in gnome-shell, the apps on the current workspace are stacked together as the first ones on the window switcher. I think Unity works with the same behaviour.

As for the expose feature (super + w) i never used that much on Unity, because it doesn't show the name of the windows opened. You see, if you have buch o pdf files opened and do the expose thing that wont help a lot unless you have like eagle eyes to read the windows previews. In gnome shell i use that more often as it shows, just like in osx, the windows names.

Just use some more time and see how that works for you. Maybe you get used to it and find it better as i do it now. Otherwhise i really don't know how to contact the design team, sorry :)

calbaker
November 18th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Is gnome shell worth going back to, and how do you set that up in 11.10? I'm a little hesitant to do that because I don't like getting away from the supported desktop environment. What instructions did you follow for setting up gnome shell?

Thanks.

At first i was really upset about this too, but i got used to that, and now i even prefer this way.

It's been a time since i've used Unity, but in gnome-shell, the apps on the current workspace are stacked together as the first ones on the window switcher. I think Unity works with the same behaviour.

As for the expose feature (super + w) i never used that much on Unity, because it doesn't show the name of the windows opened. You see, if you have buch o pdf files opened and do the expose thing that wont help a lot unless you have like eagle eyes to read the windows previews. In gnome shell i use that more often as it shows, just like in osx, the windows names.

Just use some more time and see how that works for you. Maybe you get used to it and find it better as i do it now. Otherwhise i really don't know how to contact the design team, sorry :)

calbaker
December 6th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Apparently, other people are having problems (http://askubuntu.com/questions/68151/revert-alt-tab-behavior-changed-in-11-10) with the behavior of the <alt>+<tab> windows switcher in 11.10. I wish they would revert back to the 11.04 behavior. It was solid.