PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Gnome 3 Search Bug

Reier
November 15th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Hey all.
So I recently upgraded from Ubuntu 11.04 to 11.10 and it works well. Tried out Unity but since when I upgraded it installed Gnome 3 too, I though I'd give it a shot.
I do like it a lot, however there is this crippling bug that makes it so irritating to use.

See, when you go into activities, on the upper right there is your basic type to search bar. I can't use it. Whenever you type in anything whatsoever into it, the activities screen stops and it brings me to the desktop. If I try it again (usually the 2nd or 3rd time), the UI just quits. The computer isn't frozen, I can still right click on the desktop, but the shell... just isn't there. I have no idea. Rebooting it fixes everything but the problem remains if I try it again.
Computer is fully updated. Typing in anything other than the activities search has no problems.

Using (X)ubuntu 11.10, trying to get GNOME 3.x to function correctly.
Help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kenny P
November 16th, 2011, 03:34 AM
I just experienced the exact same problem. Sorry I don't know how to fix it, hopefully someone can help.

alnixx
November 16th, 2011, 04:22 AM
same problem here. search is also slow

Reier
November 19th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Does no one have a solution?

Copper Bezel
November 19th, 2011, 07:44 PM
It's hard to diagnose without having experienced it. Oddly enough, the first shot I'd try is switching the icon theme, which can have a bearing on whether or not the search appears when you start typing. But it could also be a graphics card issue that's not really solvable, and anything in between.

You shouldn't even have to focus the search box - just hit Super and start typing anything.