PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] GUI problems in Kubuntu 11.10

YayOpenSource
November 15th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Hey guys,
Switched to Kubuntu 11.10 last month after the upgrade killed my Ubuntu (nothing of value lost). Now that I'm with KDE the problems I had with Ubuntu 11.04 are back and worse than before.
Basically this is what happens: the screen locks up completely for around 20-30 seconds, the screen goes black, sometimes it comes back, other times the monitors go to standby, this is combined with the problem I had with Ubuntu 11.04 which is that sometimes the OS locks up, yet I'm still able to move the mouse around.

Just a few specs that may be able to help:
Intel Pentium Dual-core 2.93GHz
2GB DDR3 RAM (not sure what speed)
Kubuntu 11.10 installed via Wubi (cue people screaming at me) on Windows 7 Home Premium (both 32-bit of course)
AMD Radeon 5670 based graphics card (Please don't take my word for this just yet, I'll be able to confirm it in about an hour)

All that has been installed on it so far is Java 7 and Flash 10

Frogs Hair
November 15th, 2011, 04:33 PM
If I were running via wubi and it was preforming that poorly , I would backup and start over . Download the ISO run a checksum and use the Wubi option from the disk . See this thread for possible solutions .http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1639198

bobwyz
January 31st, 2012, 03:42 AM
I've been having the same issue from the sound of it and I also have the same video card as you so as i thought that's what the issue is. I've tried installing the proprietary driver the the card but that just made things a hell of a lot worse!!!

the computer is still working but the screen is just frozen even though the mouse still moves around. you can't click on things. but in saying that i clicked play on the mp3 player and the song started playing, so obviously the computer is working underneath the frozen screen. if anyone knows how to fix this please please help?

bobwyz
January 31st, 2012, 11:14 AM
http://www.upubuntu.com/2011/12/how-to-install-amd-catalyst-1112-linux.html

this solved all my problems. uninstall driver, then install new driver. don't bother about the proprietary driver it pops up in additional drivers, it's rubbish.