PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't install ubuntu

Monkihunta
November 15th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Hi, I'm currently running Mint helena on my Acer aspireone. I'm trying to install Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb stick, but I'm having problems. I can boot up from the USB, and get to the screen which gives options to install, etc, but when I try to go ahead with the installation, it immediately stalls, giving me a bunch of error messages. Can anyone tell me how I can fix this and get 11.10 installed? Or maybe I'd be better off trying the latest Mint? Would it be possible to install that from a USB?

darkod
November 15th, 2011, 03:50 PM
When you get the menu, hit F6 for advanced options, look around and select nomodeset. Then continue with Try Ubuntu and see if it loads the live mode.

If it did, you can install but on first boot you will have to add nomodeset to the boot commands to allow it to boot. After it has booted once you can look for drivers to install.

Usually it's something with a driver missing.

Monkihunta
November 15th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Hi, thanks a lot for the reply!

I tried again and went into the Advanced Menu. However, there don't appear to be any options in this screen other than 'Back' (weird). If it helps, I took a photo of the error messages:

Rubi1200
November 15th, 2011, 07:13 PM
How did you put the ISO image on the USB stick?

Please post the specifications for the computer in question, especially RAM and graphics card.

Monkihunta
November 15th, 2011, 10:30 PM
I put the ISO image on the stick with Universal USB Installer as per the instructions on the website./ Strictly speaking its a card reader with a card in it, though have installed Ubuntu using the same hardware in the past.

My hardware:

Acer AspireOne A110L

Specifications (base version) Manufacturer Acer Model name Aspire One Model id A110L CPU type Intel Atom (Diamondville) CPU speed 1600 Mhz Graphics Intel GMA 950 (http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/index.htm) OS Linux Linpus Lite Display Size
8.9" 1024 X 600 Display Type
LED b/l, RAM 512 MB (upgraded to 1.5gb)
Flash 7.8 GB Keyboard YES Mouse Pointer YES Battery capacity 26 (Wh) Weight 950gm / 33.5 oz. Size (w/h/d mm) 248/170/29 mm Size (w/h/d inches) 9.8/6.7/1.1