PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Enable Trash on secondary ext4 filesystem (HDD)

joxl
November 15th, 2011, 05:29 AM
I'm wondering if it's possible to enable the Trash (is this a nautilus feature?) on a secondary (internal) hard drive.

Here's my scenario; I recently did a clean install (11.10) on a new SSD. Due to the size restriction of the device (120GB) I've sym-linked a few folders in my user directory to another (spinning disk) hard drive. for example:

$ ls -l ~/Music
lrwxrwxrwx 1 me me 34 2011-11-10 19:11 /home/me/Music -> /media/HD1/archive/Music
The problem is if I delete items that don't reside on the root device (my SSD), nautilus tells me that they cannot be moved to the trash and will be deleted immediately. I do realize that even if they could go to the trash, they would not be located in the default '~/.local/share/Trash' location, that's fine of course. I would expect them to go to a folder somewhere on their originating disk (e.g. '/media/HD1/.Trash' or something like that).

I tried creating the directory that always magically appears on USB FAT and NTFS devices ".Trash-1000" and making it world-writable, as in:

$ sudo mkdir -m1777 /media/HD1/.Trash-1000To no avail, nautilus refused to use it as a trash directory.

Googling the issue turns up lots of results on tweaking the fstab to make this work on NTFS mounts, but my disk is formatted ext4, and those mount tweaks won't work. I did try tweaking my fstab, however. I used options similar to the defaults: 'rw,suid,dev,exec,auto,nouser,user_xattr' and also the same, only user enabled: 'rw,suid,dev,exec,auto,user,user_xattr' which didn't make a difference. So now I've reverted it back to what I had before all that... here's the meaningful snip of my /etc/fstab:

$ cat /etc/fstab
<snip>
# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=1f45... / ext4 errors=remount-ro,user_xattr 0 1
# HD1 -- 1TB HDD (currently /dev/sdb1)
UUID=ce4b... /media/HD1 ext4 errors=remount-ro,user_xattr 0 2SIDENOTE: I have the 'user_xattr' option set because that's how it was configured by the 11.10 installer... to my knowledge, I am not actually using any extended attributes.

Any help, tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated, thanks.