PDA

View Full Version : Does using VMware count as being 100% MS free ?

djsroknrol
June 3rd, 2006, 10:39 PM
Well, I've been off MS for a few days now, and find that there are a couple of things I can't live without on the MS side, namely a database made with Access.

So I tried wine (couldn't get it to go), and decided to go with VMware. Now I have win2000pro in a VM (sweet stuff).

But I'm starting to feel guilty...why?..because I've prided myself on being 100% free of MS, and here I am "cheating" for lack of a better term.

What does everyone think ? Does VMware make you totally free from MS, or is it really cheating?

asc
June 3rd, 2006, 10:46 PM
What does everyone think ? Does VMware make you totally free from MS, or is it really cheating?
If you are trying to not use Microsoft products, installing one on virtual hardware means you are using Microsoft products. Have you looked at the database features in Open Office 2?

jdong
June 3rd, 2006, 10:51 PM
It's not 100% free, but very close ;)

Don't worry about transitioning to Linux so completely. It's a process that takes time. Until then, do whatever you need to in order to make yourself comfortable and productive while you adjust to a brand new environment, whether that's setting up a dual-boot or a VMWare.

BTW, VMWare is very cool. It's software that I believe is worth the money, and now even better because it's free (from the price tag standpoint)

djsroknrol
June 3rd, 2006, 10:54 PM
asc,

that was the first thing I tried, 'cause it's a database for my model railroading stuff...it does waybills, keeps track of cities, industries, etc...it doesn't load properly in OO base. I've made a list of things that don't work since I stopped booting to the MS side, and that was one of them...also have a camera that uses the serial port that doesn't function, but I got a card reader for that problem...this one is important to me, hence cheating with the VM...I couldn't figure out why it doesn't display properly in Base....