PDA

View Full Version : Simple Project Management Solution?

undecim
November 15th, 2011, 04:14 AM
Usually I like to use paper for these types of things, but my needs have outgrown its static, organic nature.

I'm looking right now for a simple way to manage multiple projects for small teams of people. I've looked into a few pieces of software, and they are either too complicated, or don't contain the features I need.

At the minimum, I need a solution which:

Is cross platform (Linux, Windows and Mac all need to be supported)
Is intuitive to use.
Works well across multiple machines and people (a cloud service would be good. Something I can install on a local server would be ideal.)
Allows tasks to be nested
Allows tasks to be assigned to any number of people
Allows deadlines to be set
Allows custom fields to be associated with each task (e.g., so each task can have a "customer" field, a "pomodoros" field, or whatever else we find we need to add; a general purpose "Notes" field at minimum)

Does anyone know of a piece of software that does this without being too complicated, or have some other solution? Right now we're using http://asana.com/, but it doesn't have nested tasks or custom fields. I also don't like the fact that it's in the cloud.

Right now, I'm thinking about writing something in PHP that I can put on our local server, or perhaps using a piece of software that's not commonly used for this purpose.

Any ideas or inputs are appreciated.

garryburks
November 18th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Given the increased workload it is good that you wish to upgrade to a project management software. Our company has grown to a 35-member team and we've implemented Microsoft's project management solutions (http://ubuntuforums.org/www.microsoft.com/project/en/us/schedule-management.aspx) to manage and track tasks assigned to each team member. And like you want, it can be accessed over a connected network. This helps you easily track the progress report of individual projects.

DangerOnTheRanger
November 18th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I suggest Redmine - it's FOSS, and meets all the requirements you listed. Trac is also good (and FOSS), but it doesn't meet requirement #2.