PDA

View Full Version : How to Delete a Shortcut - Vista Style

v8YKxgHe
June 3rd, 2006, 10:38 PM
Hey,

I just found this and thought it was pretty funny =) http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTE0OTExODg5NUxRSkp0S3J6aTZfMV8xX 2wuanBn

Hope it hasn't been posted before.

shrimphead
June 3rd, 2006, 11:32 PM
that's quite silly. It looks like ms have tried but failed to understand and implement the root/user system of Linux

BoyOfDestiny
June 3rd, 2006, 11:35 PM
Hey,

I just found this and thought it was pretty funny =) http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTE0OTExODg5NUxRSkp0S3J6aTZfMV8xX 2wuanBn

Hope it hasn't been posted before.

Geez, they have 7 months at least if they want to remedy that...

"Ubuntu install same number of steps as deleting Vista shortcut" would make a good headline...

detgar
June 4th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Bottom line: Windows still comes pre-installed on peoples PCs

curuxz
June 4th, 2006, 05:31 AM
Bottom line: Windows still comes pre-installed on peoples PCs

Yea I agree on that point, to that end why not have the biggest world wide co-ordinated install party on vista's release day? lol

Soon as we know just all start aranging install parties and see if we cant make the vista launch day the biggest day for converts to linux ;)

"A new version of the windows virus is out get the ubuntu patch today, why wait?!" ;)

jrd
June 4th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Lol, thats prety funny. What's sad is it's true.

ripkirby
June 5th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Bugs will be worked out

curuxz
June 5th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Bugs will be worked out

yea like they were in xp
or me
or 2k
or 98
or 98se
or 95

get real

JSchwage
June 5th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Microsoft is just digging itself a bigger hole. Vista is one of the biggest contributions to the reasons I've switched over to Ubuntu.

G Morgan
June 5th, 2006, 05:29 PM
I've heard about the amazing shortcut delete process before from a Windows Fanboy no less. How you can justify not giving the user permission to do what they want in their own home directory is beyond me. Imagine how many dialogues would come up for a complex problem.

jeremy
June 5th, 2006, 05:41 PM
There is a much easier way to delete a symlink, sorry shortcut, using windows vista:

C\:>format C:

azazel-
June 5th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Hate to ruin everyones fun, but this has been already explained; that was the process required to delete a shortcut from the shared desktop directory. If it's one of your own files, then it's a simple right-click, delete. Yes, it's clunky, and yes, Microsoft is supposedly going to attempt to fix it.

Don't get me wrong, after playing with the latest Vista build for the past week, rest assured, Vista will still suck badly, but for more profound reasons than some icon deletion quirk. The entire OS is a bloated, sloppy and piggish mess. The UI is the most counter-intuitive thing I've ever attempted to use, the transparency is gaudy and overused, and there is a search box damn near everywhere. If someone could explain to me why the Start menu needs a search box literally right next to a shortcut to open up an actual search dialog, I'm appreciate it. Concepts of the day seem to be transparency and search, so it seems Microsoft is just spraying both everywhere and waiting to see where it sticks. Very sloppy. It honestly seems as though they wanted to take XP, make it pretty, but take everything that is functional and worthwhile, and either worsen it, remove it, or screw it up to the point where someone familiar with Windows up to this point will sit and go "Why in the world did they do that?" Why would they take each individual tab from the display properties window, and seperate them all out into their own individual icons in the Control Panel? I cannot think of one logical reason, unless they wanted to fill the Control Panel classic view with a huge number of icons. So many things leave me wondering "Why???".

Vista is painful to use, and painful to look at. It will be the Las Vegas of operating systems, and I hope it fails utterly and completely. Not because I hate Microsoft or any such nonesense, but because a message needs to be sent to these suits that people expect better, and there are better alternatives out there right now, that will be far superior to Vista when it launches. Ubuntu is a better OS out of the box, and OS X simply destroys it at every turn, with the exception of gaming.

Kernel Sanders
June 5th, 2006, 10:10 PM
This made the front page of Neowin, and I just thought......... this HAS to be a wind-up! :mrgreen: No-one would intentionally design a security system that worked like that! :mrgreen:

G Morgan
June 5th, 2006, 10:35 PM
This made the front page of Neowin, and I just thought......... this HAS to be a wind-up! :mrgreen: No-one would intentionally design a security system that worked like that! :mrgreen:

Vista security will work very well when people wise up and stick with XP* a la 98SE v ME. There will be no malware for an OS people will desperately avoid. There will be another Windows release within 2 years of Vista coming out and that will replace XP likely.

*They unfortunately won't wise up enough to dump Windows altogether.

?????
June 5th, 2006, 10:54 PM
I read about the bad points in Vista a few days ago.. Deleting a shortcut was really annoying, and if you have several windows out, its really hard to tell which one is the active one. PRetty much the only diffeerence between an active and an inactive one is that the X is red in active and grayed out on inactive. More motivation to get all my computers running (K)ubuntu. Even the simplest of tasks pop up UAP and windows firewall alerts.

They probably dont understand the concepts of sudo.

G Morgan
June 5th, 2006, 11:14 PM
I read about the bad points in Vista a few days ago.. Deleting a shortcut was really annoying, and if you have several windows out, its really hard to tell which one is the active one. PRetty much the only diffeerence between an active and an inactive one is that the X is red in active and grayed out on inactive. More motivation to get all my computers running (K)ubuntu. Even the simplest of tasks pop up UAP and windows firewall alerts.

They probably dont understand the concepts of sudo.

This is the problem though. They thought how do we get people to use a priveldge system without teaching them what it is and why it is. The solution was undoubtedly to demand a password for everything but the most basic task. What they didn't think about was how many dialogues would stack up using this approach.