PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu 11.10 nvidia

mr hippie
November 15th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Hi,
I am a newbie trying to get multi monitor support, in the process I some how lost all monitor support. When starting Ubuntu 11.10 the screen is now all garbled. I can not log in. Is there away to load a video driver in command line?

Thanks,

lolpenguin
November 15th, 2011, 10:09 AM
When you start the computer, does it load LightDM or a tty
A tty would look like this:

Ubuntu tty1
Ubuntu login:

lolpenguin
November 15th, 2011, 10:11 AM
If it loads a tty run

jockey-text
and uninstall and re-install any drivers.

If it loads a graphical session press Ctrl+Alt+F4 to open a tty.

randywilharm
November 15th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Hi,
I am a newbie trying to get multi monitor support, in the process I some how lost all monitor support. When starting Ubuntu 11.10 the screen is now all garbled. I can not log in. Is there away to load a video driver in command line?

Thanks,

You should download the latest NVIDIA driver here:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us)

You must install this as ROOT and you will have to turn
off gnome. The command is gdm stop or lightdm stop depending
on what you have for a desktop manager.

mr hippie
November 15th, 2011, 06:26 PM
I just get a colored garbled screen. Since this is a dual boot vista/ubuntu I will have to shut down and see if I can get to the tty by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F4

Thank you for your response as well.

mr hippie
November 15th, 2011, 07:10 PM
So, I could not get to tty from my 11.10 install (dual boot). But I tried it on my other hard-drive (SSD) running 11.04, that was from my old laptop and was not working on my pc. The command 'jockey-text' unfroze it and now I am up an running.

Just a note: when I upgraded my laptop from 11.04 to 11.10 a few weeks later my ati video card died (I will be buying a new laptop day after thanksgiving). Now that I have been messing around with 11.10 on my pc, before messed up my drivers, my second monitor went out/or the second video port on my graphic card died. I am sure this is all coincidence.

flagbag
November 15th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I am having same problem as poster, although I am not trying to get dual monito--I am just trying to use Ubuntu.
My computer locks-up every time I try the UBUNTU Live CD (now DVD). I have ordered various versions over the past few years and none work, including the newest, 11.10.
I have suspected it has something to do with my Nvidia 7800 as I have seen some work arounds but all are old (2007-2009) and I can't get them to work with my Live CD. Here are screen shots, symptoms, and my hardware.
Only thing--while I am fairly computer-savvy, I am a total newbie to Ubuntu, so please phrase your help so I can go step-by-step if you would please be so helpful.
Really appreciate help..... I would love to use Ubuntu and am frustrated for years...
After restarting system w/ the Live DVD, I select 'English", then I select 'Try Ubuntu without installing on system.'
It seems to be loading fine, then locks up (no mouse or keyboard). There seems to be a graphic on the screen, "UBUNTU", but it is scrambled.
http://a.yfrog.com/img611/205/suw7.jpg
My system is a homemade desktop, running WinXP (sorry for the bad language:)! CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ with 3 gigRAM Moboard: MS-7125 video: Nvidia GeForce 7800GT.
Any ideas? Please??

weclark
November 16th, 2011, 06:48 PM
I have a similar problem.

I am still running Ubuntu 9.10 on a system with the Nvidia GeForce 7100 / nForce 630i (Asus P5N-EM HDMI) because on every update since I loose audio on the HDMI interface.

When I boot from the 11.10 liveDVD it runs very slow and eventually hangs.

I am looking for a way to run with the current Nvidia driver without having to install 11.10 just to find out I still have no audio. Is there a way to add it to the liveDVD or run it?

weclark
January 28th, 2012, 07:15 PM
I went ahead and installed Ubuntu 11.10 (both 32 and 64 bit versions). I still cannot get HDMI audio to work.

EXCEPT: I did notice that speaker-test -c2 -twav works.:confused:

HELP!!!

grahammechanical
January 29th, 2012, 01:47 AM
Here is a link to a sticky on the Installation & Upgrades section of the forum. It deals with some of these issues:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535

It is a long thread. It takes some reading as the advice is comprehensive. It tries to cover many issues.

For those with problems running the live CD or getting to a log in screen, take a look at the third post and look at the second image. It shows how to change some boot options that may get the live CD running enough to get to a desktop from where you can install the drivers.

Regards.