PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity + LXDE?

Devilotx
November 14th, 2011, 06:48 PM
So, I've been switching between Unity and LXDE on my desktop, and It got me to thinking... can we pop in the lxpanel at the bottom of the unity screen? this would give us access to Unity and it's benefits, as well as giving you a traditional menu/taskbar system to work with. I'm not at home so I can't give it a shot, but maybe it's worth a few moments to think? imagine the Unity panel and Launcher with the LXPanel at the bottom.

Could be useful? or just the musings of a madman?

lolpenguin
November 15th, 2011, 10:15 AM
From experience I know that you can run the GNOME panel at the same time as unity, so try opening a terminal and running the command for the LXDE panel.
I will update this post when I find out if it's possible and how.

lolpenguin
November 15th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Congratulations, this works in two ways!
Open a terminal
Type in lxpanel and execute it.
Open a terminal
Type in unity and execute it.
In both methods, do not close the terminal or else the panel/launcher will close.
There is one drawback though, you must select the session options (shutdown, reboot, logout) of the native session
Two screenshots are attached (sorry about low resolution, had to resize image to fit upload regulations

Khalaris
November 15th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Or you could just add lxpanel to your startup applications. That way you don't need the open terminal.

Devilotx
November 28th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Good deal, I've made a few alterations to my lxpanel (moved the launcher mostly) to have it fit in nicer around the Unity Launcher, and it seems to be working out nicely for me.

Awesome little thing here, :popcorn:

jimrew111
November 28th, 2011, 09:48 PM
hah thats cool :) nice.

neu5eeCh
November 29th, 2011, 01:45 AM
Seems like it would make more sense to use the XFCE panel (which can be installed by itself). The xfce panel gives you a little more customization.