PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Chrome closes if I minimize.

katya_sehgal
November 14th, 2011, 05:18 PM
I have installed google chrome. However, it closes whenever I minimize it and I have to restart it every time.

I prefer it over other browsers.

Is there an immediate solution for this that I may have missed in the forums?

vasa1
November 14th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I have installed google chrome. However, it closes whenever I minimize it and I have to restart it every time.

I prefer it over other browsers.

Is there an immediate solution for this that I may have missed in the forums?

How do you minimize it?

katya_sehgal
November 14th, 2011, 05:36 PM
How do you minimize it?

by clicking on the minimize button. Just as I do for firefox and others. They then shift to the 'launcher' on the left side of the screen where I can access them at a later stage. This doesn't work for chrome though.

Important: I believe this problem started immediately after installing google voice and video chat. Can this be possible? I am trying to search where the files are located so I can uninstall them. No luck. Can't locate.

BillyBoa
November 14th, 2011, 05:40 PM
You could try to find the packages of google voice and video chat in Synaptic. Install Synaptic through Ubuntu Software Center.

katya_sehgal
November 14th, 2011, 05:45 PM
You could try to find the packages of google voice and video chat in Synaptic. Install Synaptic through Ubuntu Software Center.

I had successfully installed the chat program from the website. I am now trying to delete it to see if it is causing the chrome error. Chrome was working fine initially. It would minimize just like firefox and other programs.

Any early solutions?

katya_sehgal
November 14th, 2011, 05:54 PM

Have just realised that synaptics is a very essential tool. Getting it now.

However, any way out for the chrome minimizing issue?

BillyBoa
November 14th, 2011, 05:54 PM
There is a trick solution. Export your bookmarks and anything you could and close Chrome. Go to Home directory, then push CTRL+H to see the hidden folders and go to .config, open it and rename the folder .google-chrome to something like google-chrome1. Then open again Chrome to see if the problem insists.

vasa1
November 14th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Running this code will give you a list of software present on your system (as a text file called "installed-software"):

dpkg --get-selections > installed-software

This maybe useful because the same thing is addressed differently sometimes:
gedit = Text Editor
Evince = Document Viewer
gnome-tweak-tool = Advanced Settings

You may find the software you installed by its other name.

I'm using plain Chrome 15 on 11.10 without a problem so it's quite likely that it's something you've installed that isn't playing well with something else.

Before you try BillyBoa's suggestion you could try something simpler.
Wrench, Tools, Extensions and once there, disable all extensions. Then restart Chrome and see.

katya_sehgal
November 14th, 2011, 06:04 PM
There is a trick solution. Export your bookmarks and anything you could and close Chrome. Go to Home directory, then push CTRL+H to see the hidden folders and go to .config, open it and rename the folder .google-chrome to something like google-chrome1. Then open again Chrome to see if the problem insists.

No luck. The problem persists. I still cannot minimize it. It shuts every time I do so.
Using synaptics, I have also 'marked for complete removal' google video-chat. That has not solved the issue.

katya_sehgal
November 14th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Running this code will give you a list of software present on your system:

dpkg --get-selections > installed-softwareThis maybe useful because the same thing is addressed differently sometimes:
gedit = Text Editor
Evince = Document Viewer
gnome-tweak-tool = Advanced Settings

You may find the software you installed by its other name.

I'm using plain Chrome 15 on 11.10 without a problem so it's quite likely that it's something you've installed that isn't playing well with something else.

Before you try BillyBoa's suggestion you could try something simpler.
Wrench, Tools, Extensions and once there, disable all extensions. Then restart Chrome and see.

I already used BillyBoa's suggestion. No luck there.
I shall now use your method after syncing my bookmarks again and plugins again.
Do note that chrome had no problems initially. So it may be an additional software that is causing the issue.
I have removed google video chat from synaptics but that has not done anything for chrome.

BillyBoa
November 14th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Then you should remove Chrome and reinstall it

sudo apt-get remove google-chrome-stable

if you use Chrome beta change -stable for -beta or -unstable if you went too far.

Then you can reinstall it as you did to install it.

vasa1
November 14th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Can you minimize by holding down alt and then pressing the spacebar and then letting go both the alt key and the spacebar and typing the letter n (for minimize)?

vasa1
November 14th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Then you should remove Chrome and reinstall it

if you use Chrome beta change -stable for -beta or -unstable if you went too far.

Then you can reinstall it as you did to install it.

sudo apt-get purge google-chrome-stable maybe be better.

It may also be worth deleting the folder ~/.config/google-chrome after you've exported your bookmarks safely.

I case of a re-install, my preference would be to stay with Chrome stable and not to try other versions or Chromium.

katya_sehgal
November 14th, 2011, 06:38 PM
google-chrome-stable_current_i386.deb

this is the package from where I installed google chrome. I got this package from the website.
I tried deleting from .config 'google-chrome'. However it reappears as soon as I delete it.
Do you reckon I should delete the package and reinstall it from the website? Considering that this is the stable version of Chrome you were mentioning.

BillyBoa
November 14th, 2011, 06:43 PM
google-chrome-stable_current_i386.deb

this is the package from where I installed google chrome. I got this package from the website.
I tried deleting from .config 'google-chrome'. However it reappears as soon as I delete it.
Do you reckon I should delete the package and reinstall it from the website? Considering that this is the stable version of Chrome you were mentioning.

But I told you how to, on my message above. Go to a terminal and write:

katya_sehgal
November 14th, 2011, 06:51 PM
But I told you how to, on my message above. Go to a terminal and write:

I did that. Was talking about the deb file, on clicking it you reach the software centre that lets you install chrome.
This is what I will be doing. I will reinstall entirely, deleting the current file.
Somehow, the Software Centre is not opening for the last 15 minutes. I have read elsewhere that it is a recurring problem for many.

katya_sehgal
November 14th, 2011, 07:35 PM
ok, now the software centre is not opening. :-)

katya_sehgal
November 14th, 2011, 07:43 PM
restarted ubuntu to get the software centre working.
Chrome now looks fine. The minimize option is fine and it stays in the launcher like every other well-behaved program.

Shall import bookmarks and plugins from google sync.
should this cause any problems then I shall notify for other users.

Edit: Shall mark as solved in some days after observation and report plugin conflict if any.

cheers vasa1 and BillyBoa. Coffee on me.

katya_sehgal
November 16th, 2011, 08:26 AM
No problems thus far. I am marking this thread as solved.

Solution: Re-install Chrome. Problem arose probably after I installed Google Video chat in system.

Idea: Good practice to sync Chrome with your account. This way you never lose anything if Chrome crashes or you have to re-install it.