PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Winter Clothes

Lucradia
November 14th, 2011, 08:29 AM
I often wondered what people prefer for brands in terms of winter wear. To be honest, for me, it has to be Colombia. It may be expensive, but I've had a coat I've used for more than 10 years, and it's still keeping me warm.

Gremlinzzz
November 14th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Never got roped into name brands,if its warm looks good thats it:popcorn:

jjex22
November 14th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Not of a lot of use over here in Britain, but I'm sure Super is a massive intercontinental brand, and I've found that superdry have always made quite good weatherproof coats for men (seen quite a few women with them on too) they are in fact the only Superdry things I own (little ashamed to say that when I got my first I thought they JUST made rain coats - hense "SuperDry":oops:

Similarly and less expensive are North face - they were very popular at the fireworks last week, though I'm not sure if they're international? seems as though they would be? more utilitarian than Super Dry, but that seems to give them some kind of "outdoorsy" appeal?

In terms of my girl friends in London seems to be a lot of the same as last year - those giant tea-cosy beanie hats, though havn't seen any gillets yet, and at Kingston market at the weekend my friend was raving about those woolly/animal hats with the sort of scarf/mittens built in - definitely a fashion I don't get!

BillyBoa
November 14th, 2011, 01:53 PM
It's time to use and reuse everything.

coldraven
November 14th, 2011, 02:13 PM
My mother buys all my clothes at the Army Surplus store.
I'm the only boy in my school dressed as a Japanese admiral :)

Gremlinzzz
November 14th, 2011, 03:03 PM

LOL:popcorn: that was funny

philinux
November 14th, 2011, 03:19 PM

I nearly spat my coffee out laughing.
):P

Linuxratty
November 14th, 2011, 04:59 PM

Same here and I won't wear stuff with the brand's name in big letters..I'm not going to give anyone free advertising..Except Linux.

inobe
November 14th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I often wondered what people prefer for brands in terms of winter wear. To be honest, for me, it has to be Colombia. It may be expensive, but I've had a coat I've used for more than 10 years, and it's still keeping me warm.

i am also in the midwest, in fact, i'm on the opposite end of that lake:P

over here the wind tends to brush off that lake, almost sweeping us away, therefor we like to do layers of clothing, we adjust layers according to frequent changes in weather patterns.

i typically use knee high arctic cat snow boots, and coveralls with a wind and water proof shell.

blowing deep snow everywhere, staying dry and not sweating, also be able to adjust clothing layers is the biggest concern.

their were times i had to enter my house by going in the garage to break the ice off my clothes, yet i was warm and dry.

edit: some mentioned brands above, well to be honest, some brands stand by their claims.

mips
November 14th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Winter, what's that?

inobe
November 14th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Winter, what's that?

exactly, but here are the differences from winter and summer, in the winter i can adjust clothing layers and the thermostat to feel comfortable, however in the summer i can run around butt naked and couldn't escape the heat:P

Rodney9
November 15th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Winter, what's that?

Yes, it's 29C not 9:30am

Gremlinzzz
November 15th, 2011, 12:44 AM
always buy light boots:popcorn:

Brian0312
November 15th, 2011, 12:50 AM
I'm on the West Coast of Canada. My winter wear is a waterproof shell and something that is warm when wet like wool or fleece. Brands don't matter to me, I buy what works and doesn't set me back half a grand.

Thewhistlingwind
November 15th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Army surplus.

I'm certainly not dressed like a Japanese admiral.

I wear it all year. The seasons don't effect me until summer is at it's height.

Paqman
November 15th, 2011, 02:34 AM
I prefer fresh steaming Tauntaun innards to keep me warm when winter bites.

cariboo
November 15th, 2011, 04:52 AM
Like Brian0312 I live in BC, except I'm further from the ocean, we frequently get temps as low as -30°C and at times even lower. When I worked outside all year round, in the winter it was a matter of layers, once the temps got below -15°C. I usually wore breathable long underwear, a flannel shirt, and jeans, a fleece hoodie and coveralls, with lightweight boots that are good for -75°C. The breathable long underwear was a must, as I was in and out quite a bit, and if you start sweating, and the underwear gets wet, it doesn't do much good.

drawkcab
November 15th, 2011, 04:52 AM
Columbia's a great brand. They offer a variety of sizes which is good for those of us who are tall. Some of their lower end stuff can be a bit iffy so check all the details before you buy. Columbia's Titanium series is a great value in performance outerwear.

I still have Marmot gear from 15 yrs ago that's going strong. North Face is a good brand too. It's tougher to find these brands on sale although you can usually get last year's gear for a song if you order in the summer.

Patagonia makes some really nice things but they are ungodly expensive.

If you have an REI nearby, their in-house brand also offers some good values.

Whatever you end up buying, the key is to layer underneath with wool.

wolfen69
November 15th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Columbia's a great brand. They offer a variety of sizes which is good for those of us who are tall. Columbia's Titanium series is a great value in performance outerwear.

Sounds like you work for them.

Bandit
November 15th, 2011, 07:42 PM

For real. I am for what ever is on sale at my fav outlet stores.

TheNessus
November 16th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Same here and I won't wear stuff with the brand's name in big letters..I'm not going to give anyone free advertising..Except Linux.

I do buy brands when the item itself is something I like. Then I proceed to very gently and delicately remove the brand logo from the item. That way I get all from both worlds.

Lucradia
November 16th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I'm sure Super is a massive intercontinental brand

Really? They don't sell them here.

mips
November 16th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Really? They don't sell them here.

Never heard of them either but http://www.superdry.com/delivery-and-returns

Lucradia
November 16th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Never heard of them either but http://www.superdry.com/delivery-and-returns

Thanks for that. Maybe mentioning them enough might get them into a retail store :V

sffvba[e0rt
November 16th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Every time I see this title pop up I get the spam ban hammer out and then remember that this isn't a automatic spam thread :p

BBQdave
November 16th, 2011, 06:49 PM

Wow, 10 years? I feel that I am as healthy as I have ever been, but as the years go by, I get wider. That would be funny to see me in clothes from 10 years ago.

Do not get me wrong, I think good quality clothing that lasts is great. It is just that ever decade my body seems to make a shift, and they fit no more :p

Plus I find I am hard on clothing, whether they are a super brand (that is supposed to last) or a discount store cheap-y, they all wear out the same.

And like many have posted, I try to go for the plain (no name brand) apparel and make my own statement...
"old guy hiking" :D

Gremlinzzz
November 16th, 2011, 11:35 PM
always buy light boots:popcorn:

reason for lightweight boots.
polar bears when you see one you will be glade you have lightweight boots on
:popcorn:

sammiev
November 16th, 2011, 11:51 PM
reason for lightweight boots.
polar bears when you see one you will be glade you have lightweight boots on
:popcorn:

We buy the best here as we live just about where the tree line stops and polar bears start. We had many days where a temp of -40C was the high for the day. Worked in -60C. :(

PapaGary
November 16th, 2011, 11:52 PM
I have a fleece (bunting?) Patagonia jacket that is about thirty years old and it still works great. I've taken it backpacking, white water canoeing and have even worn it to work (with a tie). The zipper broke two years ago and I sent it in to be repaired. It came back with a new zipper and a note that said: "No charge." I love these people.:D

drawkcab
November 17th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Sounds like you work for them.

No but I used to manage a bicycle/snowboard shop. Columbia's one of the best bang-for-the buck brands in terms of performance. Unless you have a very specific fit/need, you're basically getting diminishing returns by upgrading to one of the more boutique brands like Cloudveil, Marmot or Patagonia.

drawkcab
November 17th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Oh and if you know your size in a given brand, order over the internet in the off season. You can get that $400 boutique snowboarding coat for $130 in July.

anna2112
November 24th, 2011, 06:30 AM
here in our country,,we dont have snow..so im not familiar with the winter coat..:(
I always dream to play in snow..make a snow man !!!hehehe...

Lucradia
November 27th, 2011, 02:00 AM
here in our country,,we dont have snow..so im not familiar with the winter coat..:(
I always dream to play in snow..make a snow man !!!hehehe...

People in Florida usually have this problem too, the people who are futher south.