PDA

View Full Version : Unity disappeared from my user profile.

Malfriv
November 14th, 2011, 04:28 AM
I'm a new Ubuntu user. I was working with GIMP photo editor, and firefox simultaneously when my computer crashed. I had no other choice than to switch off manually. When I restarted ubuntu I couldn't find the Launcher, nor the dashboard and all the icons on the Menu bar disappeared. I can't therefore start any application. i tried opening a guest session and there they were. I'm barely learning Ubuntu, if anyone know how to solve this problem i'll appreciate it.

yanom
November 14th, 2011, 04:40 AM
I'm a new Ubuntu user. I was working with GIMP photo editor, and firefox simultaneously when my computer crashed. I had no other choice than to switch off manually. When I restarted ubuntu I couldn't find the Launcher, nor the dashboard and all the icons on the Menu bar disappeared. I can't therefore start any application. i tried opening a guest session and there they were. I'm barely learning Ubuntu, if anyone know how to solve this problem i'll appreciate it.

try this -

right click on the desktop and create a launcher. Put
unity

into the Command box. name it whatever you want. Then click that icon. It should bring back the unity bar.

If you decide you're just <snip> fed up with unity, try XFCE desktop. look up xubuntu-desktop in the Synaptic Package manager, installing that installs the whole XFCE suite (warning: that's a big download)

Copper Bezel
November 14th, 2011, 04:46 AM
That won't work for a couple of reasons. First, he'd need to have a text document in his templates folder, and second, you didn't tell him to mark it executable.

If Compiz is running, you can press Ctrl+Alt+T to bring up a terminal. Try it, then run unity --replace.

If no terminal appears, press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to a virtual terminal. Log in and run

export DISPLAY=":0"
unity --replace

to restart Unity, then hit Ctrl+Alt+F7 to get back to your desktop.

Edit: If those didn't work, try this guide (http://www.tuxgarage.com/2011/04/missing-top-and-side-panels-in-unity.html).

yanom
November 14th, 2011, 05:10 AM
btw, you aren't the first person to be mad at Unity. Try XFCE, or KDE, or something.
That being said, welcome to Ubuntu. Hope you like it.

ottosykora
November 14th, 2011, 11:23 AM
btw, you aren't the first person to be mad at Unity. Try XFCE, or KDE, or something.
That being said, welcome to Ubuntu. Hope you like it.

I wanted to say something similar:

Be happy you lucky guy! You managed something others are trying to do without success! ;-)