PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu won't boot

chenr1
November 14th, 2011, 03:13 AM
Hey guy's I've been using Ubuntu for about a month know. Heres the problem: I have a Dell Poweredge 2450 Server right know I have it on windows 2000 server. Since i run a minecraft server(not important though) I decided to move the server onto ubuntu. Considering I already have ubuntu on my Desktop and Laptop. I'm attempting to load desktop version becuase i have actually tested to make sure the software work's on the desktop version. I have a Cd that i've used for other computers that countains the iso. I cant boot from disk on the server because the server has disk drive problem. Hey guy's I've been using Ubuntu for about a month know. Heres the problem: I have a Dell Poweredge 2450 Server right know I have it on windows 2000 server. Since i run a minecraft server(not important though) I decided to move the server onto ubuntu. Considering I already have ubuntu on my Desktop and Laptop. I'm attempting to load desktop version becuase i have actually tested to make sure the software work's on the desktop version. I have a Cd that i've used for other computers that countains the iso. I cant boot from disk on the server because the server has disk drive problem. So I downloaded the wubi installer (which i used on my laptop) and ran it but halfway through the install it gets some error. So I went and got and external disk drive that happens to be usb so i cant boot from disk. But when i log into windows im able to click the external drive and it has those three selections i choose install ubuntu alongside windows. THIS IS WHERE I THINK THE PROBLEM STARTS: I have two hard drives on this server one nine GB the other about 40GB windows is on the 9GB so I installed ubuntu on the empty 40GB hard drive. Which doesnt have anything on it. This way the wubi installer works correctly and when it restarts the computer ubuntu finishes installing. So I downloaded the wubi installer (which i used on m laptop) and ran it but halfway through the install it gets some error. So I went and got and external disk drive that happens to be usb so i cant boot from disk. But when i log into windows im able to open the wubi installer and start the wubi.exe THIS IS WHERE I THINK THE PROBLEM STARTS: I have two hard drives on this server one nine GB the other about 40GB windows is on the 9GB so I installed ubuntu on the empty 40GB hardrive. So when ubuntu is finished installing using wubi it restarts the computer and continues installing. After it's totally finished restarting it restarts again and at this point when i choose ubuntu as the os. I am taken to the Grub menu and i chose the first one. And as soon as i choose this the screen turns purple and just sits... Please Help.

Neill_R
November 14th, 2011, 03:55 AM
What happens if you try the second grub option What version of Ubuntu are you using?

chenr1
November 14th, 2011, 10:17 PM
By the second option do you mean recovery mode? If I select recovery mode it stops at loading initial ramdisk. And I am on ubuntu 11.10 I believe.

darkod
November 14th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Any particular reason to use wubi and not a proper install?

chenr1
November 15th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Any particular reason to use wubi and not a proper install?

The disk drive doesn't work. And it won't boot from external Which I have.

thomas07vt
November 15th, 2011, 11:10 PM
The disk drive doesn't work. And it won't boot from external Which I have.

what about booting from a flash drive?

chenr1
November 16th, 2011, 01:19 AM
the only problem from booting from a flash drive is that this server is kinda old. And i dont think bios boots from a flash drive on this system. Because bios doesnt even recognize a usb keyboard.

collisionystm
November 16th, 2011, 01:23 AM
Hey guy's I've been using Ubuntu for about a month know. Heres the problem: I have a Dell Poweredge 2450 Server right know I have it on windows 2000 server. Since i run a minecraft server(not important though) I decided to move the server onto ubuntu. Considering I already have ubuntu on my Desktop and Laptop. I'm attempting to load desktop version becuase i have actually tested to make sure the software work's on the desktop version. I have a Cd that i've used for other computers that countains the iso. I cant boot from disk on the server because the server has disk drive problem. Hey guy's I've been using Ubuntu for about a month know. Heres the problem: I have a Dell Poweredge 2450 Server right know I have it on windows 2000 server. Since i run a minecraft server(not important though) I decided to move the server onto ubuntu. Considering I already have ubuntu on my Desktop and Laptop. I'm attempting to load desktop version becuase i have actually tested to make sure the software work's on the desktop version. I have a Cd that i've used for other computers that countains the iso. I cant boot from disk on the server because the server has disk drive problem. So I downloaded the wubi installer (which i used on my laptop) and ran it but halfway through the install it gets some error. So I went and got and external disk drive that happens to be usb so i cant boot from disk. But when i log into windows im able to click the external drive and it has those three selections i choose install ubuntu alongside windows. THIS IS WHERE I THINK THE PROBLEM STARTS: I have two hard drives on this server one nine GB the other about 40GB windows is on the 9GB so I installed ubuntu on the empty 40GB hard drive. Which doesnt have anything on it. This way the wubi installer works correctly and when it restarts the computer ubuntu finishes installing. So I downloaded the wubi installer (which i used on m laptop) and ran it but halfway through the install it gets some error. So I went and got and external disk drive that happens to be usb so i cant boot from disk. But when i log into windows im able to open the wubi installer and start the wubi.exe THIS IS WHERE I THINK THE PROBLEM STARTS: I have two hard drives on this server one nine GB the other about 40GB windows is on the 9GB so I installed ubuntu on the empty 40GB hardrive. So when ubuntu is finished installing using wubi it restarts the computer and continues installing. After it's totally finished restarting it restarts again and at this point when i choose ubuntu as the os. I am taken to the Grub menu and i chose the first one. And as soon as i choose this the screen turns purple and just sits... Please Help.

Remove your 9GB Windows drive.
Install Ubuntu with regular install on the 40GB drive.

Once ubuntu is installed, power off, re install Windows drive.
Grub2 should automatically recognize windows, if not, you can look up how to add it to your grub manually.

chenr1
November 16th, 2011, 01:25 AM
I Cant do it from reagular install because the disk drive doesnt work.

collisionystm
November 16th, 2011, 01:31 AM
I Cant do it from reagular install because the disk drive doesnt work.

Ah... and you cant boot from usb either. Gotcha.

I do not know how creative you are feeling, but I would give this a shot.
http://www.instantfundas.com/2007/08/install-any-linux-distro-directly-from.html

chenr1
November 16th, 2011, 01:35 AM
Any suggestions?

collisionystm
November 16th, 2011, 01:37 AM
Any suggestions?

yeah put your 40gb drive in a working machine and load ubuntu then put back into server.

chenr1
November 16th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Great Idea!!!!! I will look into that. Thanks for being so helpfull guys,