PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] VLC opens when photo cd instered

Charlotte18
November 13th, 2011, 10:54 PM
In Ubuntu 11.10, Unity, when I insert a cd with photos, VLC media player opens. Also, when I click on the cd on the Unity launcher, VLC media player opens? How do I fix this problem?

David006
November 13th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Click on top-right corner of desktop ..

System Settings >> Removable Media

What do you want the settings to be?

Charlotte18
November 14th, 2011, 12:12 AM
System Settings > Removable media only takes care of the first problem: I can set a default action for what happens automatically, if anything, when I insert removable media.

How do I solve the second problem? Any removable media that I insert (CD, USB drive, etc) opens with VLC media player when I click its icon on the Unity launcher.

Click on top-right corner of desktop ..

System Settings >> Removable Media

What do you want the settings to be?

David006
November 14th, 2011, 12:25 AM
How do I solve the second problem? Any removable media that I insert (CD, USB drive, etc) opens with VLC media player when I click its icon on the Unity launcher.

In Nautilus (the file/folder viewer), right-click and choose 'open with' >> 'other application' .. Try to select (and assign) the application you do want to start.

I suggest 'Shotwell' ..

If you need more detail, then describe in more detail what steps you are doing ..

Charlotte18
November 14th, 2011, 12:41 AM
Unfortunately, right-clicking on the icon of a removable media item (CD, USB, etc) and choosing properties (even within the /media folder) does not show the choice for "open with" as it does for other folders.

David006
November 14th, 2011, 12:56 AM
If you insert / plug-in removable media then VLC starts ..

OK.

Then close VLC, and go back to Nautilus. Try to right-click on a file within the folders on the media (you inserted).

(Again.) Describe it to me in smaller / specific steps, and I will try to re-produce the issue.

Charlotte18
November 14th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Listen. We're talking past each other.

When I insert removable media, VLC media player opens. I stopped this by going to System Settings > Removable media and checking the option to "do nothing."

Unfortunately, despite this "work around" (which is only covering the problem), when I click the icon of the removable media on the Unity Launcher, VLC media player opens.

If I open the Home folder on the Unity Launcher and then click the icon for the media on the list of folders on the left, the media opens like a folder. If I go to /media/cdrom and so on and double-click the icon, the media opens like a folder. I want this behavior when I click on the icon in the Unity Launcher, but when I click the icon of the removable media on the Unity Launcher, VLC media player opens.

stinkeye
November 14th, 2011, 01:47 AM
See HERE (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11393051#post11393051)

David006
November 14th, 2011, 02:08 AM
Here is how I have my PC setup:

check 'Removable Media' settings

insert DVD

prompted to choose action

open Nautilus, click on icon

right-click on media file, choose ..

Charlotte18
November 21st, 2011, 01:27 AM
Thanks. The instructions in that thread worked.

See HERE (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11393051#post11393051)