PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Instillation over broken XP

mikhl
November 13th, 2011, 06:02 PM
I have a Sony VAIO laptop (Don't have it in my hands right now so I cant give the model) that had Windows XP on it. The computer got some massive virus on it which completely killed the OS (so i think anyway) I tried to recover the system with the recovery disk. The computer states that it has the OS installed. However there is an annoying loading screen that cannot be surpassed, the loading screen is a part of the boot process. I don't know if it is a problem with the boot CD or the computer itself.

If the laptop hardware is OK do you guys think that I will be able to boot Ubuntu from a disk and install it over the top of XP? :popcorn:

Thanks

MG&TL
November 13th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Oh sure. The BIOS won't read the hard disk install at all when it boots from usb/cd, so you should definitely be able to install over. The Ubuntu install will then write over XP and the software that is producing the annoying loading screen.

As long as you're sure that's what you want. Ubuntu has a few foibles, and windows software will not run on it. Also make sure you have your data backed up.

Depending on the spec and age of the laptop, you might want to consider Xubuntu, or the even lighter (and very good, although I'm a little biased) Lubuntu.

I have a VAIO laptop, I'm never had a problem with the hardware on ubuntu.

mikhl
November 13th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Hey,
Thanks for the info. This is an unused laptop and has no data on it due to the reboot anyway. I have a wubi instillation on my desktop.

I don't really mind about the none-use of Microsoft applications as I just want to get some life into an otherwise dead machine. Was hoping to use for a uni project and things like that.

:P

MG&TL
November 14th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Well, have fun, and if you have issues, post about them.