PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgraded 10.10 to 11.10, where did my files go?

daysaway17
November 13th, 2011, 05:36 PM
I don't know if this had any affect as well, but I partitioned my drive and installed Win7 on the new drive. After completing this I used the live USB to boot into Ubuntu, reinstalled grub and I finally used the live USB to update from 10.10 to 11.10.

Now I am in 11.10 but I cannot find my old files on my drive. The drive is mounted as the home or "/" drive but none of my documents/movies etc are showing up in the file system. I installed gparted and it shows that I still have 250GB worth of data on my home drive, but I don't know how to access them.

What's the next step? Thanks!

darkod
November 13th, 2011, 05:40 PM
And you don't know if you installed win7 over the ubuntu? Did you have prepared ntfs partition or you were using win7 installation to partition?

From live mode if you open the partition where your files are supposed to be, are they there?

daysaway17
November 13th, 2011, 06:02 PM
I was running 10.10 when I installed Win7. I went into live mode, made a 50 GB partition and copied Win 7 onto that partition. I can recognize that partition in 11.10 right now as filesystem and it clearly has windows data on it.

Haven't checked in live mode for my partition. Will do that now. All I know right now is I haven't deleted them as I can see they are taking up space on my drive.

daysaway17
November 13th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I found the files. They were under home in the file system as my old username.

Thanks!