PDA

View Full Version : anyone good at laptop repair ? could use your 2 cents.

skinfish
November 12th, 2011, 11:57 PM
http://www.notebookforums.com/t/238596/sony-vaio-pcg-394l-powers-up-bios-posts-but-constant-beeping-if-overheat-how-to-fix-f2-cant-enter-bios-hard-drive-mem-ok

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1506474/VGN-FZ240E.JPG

photo of dissassembly.

undecim
November 13th, 2011, 04:56 AM
Motherboard is bad. Baking like described in the thread might help it, but if it doesn't, you just need to buy a new one.

mips
November 13th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Try booting it from a USB Stick (Linux) with the HDD, CD/DVD drive & wireless card removed.
If that still does not work remove all the heatsinks & thermal paste, apply new AS5 thermal paste and try again. You could also try lapping the heatsinks if they are not flat/smooth.
If that still does not help the reflow/baked it in a oven.
If that still does not work bin it or part it out as you could still sell the ram, HDD, optical drive, wireless card, LCD, keyboard & case.

Spr0k3t
November 13th, 2011, 06:06 PM
I have to agree, the motherboard is indeed bad. The baking trick may or may not work. I would put my money on the latter. When parting out, the screen is worth the most, about $90-120USD. Here's the rest of the breakdown:

Plastics:
- Palmtop $15
- Keyboard $25
- Screen bezel $10
- Screen top $15
- Bottom frame $40

Components:
- Wifi card $10
- Optical drive (dvdrw based) $50
- Hard drive $55
- Memory (512MB) $10 (2GB) $30
- CPU $55
- Screen $90-120 (depending on specs of the screen)
- Power cord $35

Sell all of that parted out at top price and you could yeild up to $425 + any additional handling fees. That's enough to buy you a newer system. Sony parts are not cheap. When you do go to sell those parts, list as many compatible systems as you can for each part. The plastics and frames may not be cross system compatible, but you could still list them all the same. If the frame has a COA on it, don't remove it, sell it just like it is.

Good luck.