PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Driver update went bad

Agent26
November 12th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Hi there all,
I am a linux noob, just over from windows.
I am not a expert computer user but managed windows fine and considered myself to be fairly competent at whatever was thrown at me.

Just a quick apology if this is in the wrong palce.

Anyhow, I recently installed Xubuntu on my old desktop pc and have been having problems, I tried to update the drivers to the reccomended geoforce but instead of changing to the correct driver it uninstalled the existing driver and failed.

Everything now is huge but my problem is half of the windows are of screen.

What can i do???

Please can a advanced user help me as i'm stuck.
Thankyou

AlexDudko
November 12th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Install your deleted driver back.

apt-get install your_old_working_driver_name
reboot

Agent26
November 12th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Hi and thanks for that but i am unable to see anything below halfway of the screen so I cant select things as I simply cant see them.

I tried to install the drivers of of a memory stick but when it opens I am unable to see even half of the window. minimizing ect wont reveal anymore either.

Is there some other way?

AlexDudko
November 12th, 2011, 08:18 PM
ctrl+alt+f1
will give you cli (command line interface).

dpkg -e updated_package_name.deb
After that install the default Ubuntu driver package as it was mentioned in my previous post.

AlexDudko
November 12th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Your package name should be
xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
If you haven't got Internet connection then simply download it here (http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/xserver-xorg-video-nouveau) on another machine and install it with
dpkg command.

Agent26
November 12th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Hi Alex thanks again.

Sorry to be a bigtime noob but when I get to the CLI login screen it asks for Ubuntu login, I type root and it then asks for a password? My user pasword doesn't work.

AlexDudko
November 12th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Try to log in with your account name and then acquire root privileges using sudo before command.

Agent26
November 20th, 2011, 05:10 AM
Thankyou and sorry for the late reply, alls solved now.
Thankyou also for giving me an idea of what terminal is.