PDA

View Full Version : Why is there gonna be no Terminal in Ubuntu 12.04?

teh5abiking
November 12th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I'm a huge fan of Ubuntu. I've been using it since 10.10. :guitar:

However, I find the terminal to be a necessity. Normal users might not have any need for it. However, I think it's impossible to avoid having to use the terminal with ANY GNU/Linux system at ANY point in time, be that past, present, or future.

I watched the UDS video with Mark Shuttleworth on YouTube, but I'm rather surprised to see that there's not gonna be any terminal in Ubuntu 12.04.

I'm willing to accept that there won't be any terminal in the default installation. I know times are changing, and Ubuntu's advancing towards a new age, but will GNOME Terminal, Konsole, LXTerm, etc. still be available in the repositories like Synaptic?

techvish81
November 12th, 2011, 06:07 PM
it was just a joke posted by somebody frustated with recent changes in ubuntu..

no such official information is published anywhere..

cheers!!!

Lucradia
November 12th, 2011, 06:13 PM
They could remove the terminal and still have the terminal. TTYs are part of the "kernel" (I shouldn't say that, they're part of the pre-compiled user-readable kernel/system configurations.)

It's like saying Microsoft removed DOS when XP--oh right, Microsoft did remove DOS from Windows.

TeamRocket1233c
November 12th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I doubt that'll really happen, it's near impossible to take the terminal outta Linux because Linux IS a terminal underneath GNOME or KDE or whatever window manager/desktop environment you're using.

MS took DOS outta Windows for post WinMe releases because Win2000-present uses a different kernel than Win95-Me.

Canis familiaris
November 12th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Even OS X has their terminal, don't see any reason it will be removed, nor have any sniff of such of an announcement. Perhaps they meant no "need" of a terminal but then that has been the case for ages (mostly).

sffvba[e0rt
November 12th, 2011, 06:54 PM
I have not heard anything (not even a rumour) until this thread.

So no, the terminal isn't going anywhere (for the time being, and even then it will still be available) :)

thatguruguy
November 12th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I'm a huge fan of Ubuntu. I've been using it since 10.10. :guitar:

However, I find the terminal to be a necessity. Normal users might not have any need for it. However, I think it's impossible to avoid having to use the terminal with ANY GNU/Linux system at ANY point in time, be that past, present, or future.

I watched the UDS video with Mark Shuttleworth on YouTube, but I'm rather surprised to see that there's not gonna be any terminal in Ubuntu 12.04.

I'm willing to accept that there won't be any terminal in the default installation. I know times are changing, and Ubuntu's advancing towards a new age, but will GNOME Terminal, Konsole, LXTerm, etc. still be available in the repositories like Synaptic?

Link, please.

BillyBoa
November 12th, 2011, 07:22 PM
The terminal was always the terror of the newcomers and a serious con of Linux. To create a user friendly system you have to eliminate terminal. Of course I don't know how, because there are many actions without GUI support.

jwbrase
November 12th, 2011, 07:48 PM
The terminal was always the terror of the newcomers and a serious con of Linux. To create a user friendly system you have to eliminate terminal.

No you don't. Even Windows has a terminal, and Mac OS actually added one with the switch to OS X.

Of course I don't know how, because there are many actions without GUI support.

This is what needs to be fixed to create a user friendly system. (Even so, I think there's more that's doable through the GUI than many people realize.)

Thewhistlingwind
November 12th, 2011, 08:18 PM
How many people leave because the system is genuinely too hard to use, and how many people leave because they can't run commercial software?

I'd say the latter beats the former in a landslide.

I think that Unity was a waste because the money would have been better spent making the experience easier for developers.

ikt
November 12th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I think that Unity was a waste because the money would have been better spent making the experience easier for developers.

Canonical is working on both making it easier for developers and users alike, they only just announced the ubuntu dev portal, which afaik is fairly unique in the linux software world.

http://developer.ubuntu.com/