PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] "Upgrade" (K)ubuntu 11.10 to 11.10

AppleWiz
November 12th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Sorry if this is a noob sounding question!

I have some problems with Kubuntu 11.10 and would like to try the standard version. In the installer there is the option "Upgrade Ubuntu 11.10 to 11.10".

Can anyone foresee problems with doing this? Will it do what I expect, and essentially replace all the KDE stuff with Gnome/Unity?

~Rob

ElGaton
November 12th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I think it may be dangerous to upgrade from KUbuntu 11.10 to Ubuntu 11.10 as I don't know if that particular scenario has been tested.

However, there's a quicker way to install the standard Ubuntu desktop: boot into your existing installation and install the "ubuntu-desktop" package, then log out. At login time you'll be able to choose to use KDE or Unity for your next session.

AppleWiz
November 12th, 2011, 07:51 PM
OK did that.

As you say the developers probably don't intend anything so extreme as reinstalling to change between desktops! I now have a choice of KDE or Ubuntu under the blue widget of the login box. So far so good, and it has retained the KDE side of things.

But the Dash has only 4 icons. I can't even access the terminal, and typing an app name makes the search icons spin endlessly. Off to search for an answer to that problem now...

Thanks,
Rob.