PDA

View Full Version : t120: an introduction

t120
November 12th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Hello! My name is Lawrence, but I have chosen to register at the Forums under the name t120.

I first installed Ubuntu (Maverick Meerkat) on December 28th, 2010 - my "first anniversary" is coming up! - and Ubuntu has been my primary operating system since shortly after that point, when I unexpectedly lost access to my Windows 7 system and decided to throw myself into the world of Linux.

Having explored other distribution options at various points, I find myself repeatedly returning to Ubuntu for a number of reasons. While the introduction of Unity in Natty Narwhal left me with serious doubts about my future with Ubuntu, I survived with Ubuntu Classic set as my default session. When I heard news that this option was to be removed with 11.10, I frantically Googled and discovered gnome-session-fallback - so (and this recurs often with Ubuntu), my doubts were proved groundless by the mighty Terminal.

Let's discuss my username. Why, you may ask, do you call yourself something as bizarre as t120? The reason is, in fact, quite simple. I have a love of analog technology of all sorts (I record all my music onto cassette tape, I regularly take photographs using an old Ricoh ff3-af still camera, and I have a large collection of VHS tapes and am working on finding a direct-to-VHS camcorder to use for an artsily-degraded nature footage project that I have been thinking of doing for awhile. Wow, that must have been longest sentence to be put in parentheses ever!), and 120 minutes is the recording time for a standard VHS tape in SP mode.

But don't get me wrong, I have interests other than this. Many, in fact. Libraries, for instance, have always fascinated me. Not code libraries, but those big dusty buildings with elderly women with their hair tied in buns who bustle around and simultaneously admonish you for trying to check something out of Reference and remind you of your grandma Mildred. I volunteer in a small library in my hometown. At the moment, I am managing their website (which I also built! Ah, WordPress, I love you so!) - websites, and free internet resources to get them up and running, are another major interest of mine. I also very much enjoy creative things like photography and film (and -making), art, music (a considerable portion of my life is spent listening to, writing, recording, downloading and buying it) and literature. Law, especially copyright law, is another fascinating area for me - I am an avid supporter of Lessig and Creative Commons. Oh, and the intricacies of nature continually astound me. I like to take time to sit and enjoy the world around me, and inspect the little plants that populate the ground around my favorite bench.

I have set up numerous accounts on the Forums over the last year, only to make a few posts and then deactivate them. This time, it's different. I hope to develop a lasting presence here, and to make useful contributions to whatever conversations I participate in.

Thank you for making it possible for me to be here.

Regards,

t120 (Lawrence)