PDA

View Full Version : Computer case Ubuntu

argoz17
November 11th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Will a ASUS AMD motherboard and processer work in a case that originally had a ASUS Intel motherboard and processer?

mick222
November 11th, 2011, 08:02 PM
most motherboards If they are the same form factor ie Atx is the normal type for a desktop should work. when buying check that your power supply is compatible with the motherboard.

kurt18947
November 11th, 2011, 09:03 PM
most motherboards If they are the same form factor ie Atx is the normal type for a desktop should work. when buying check that your power supply is compatible with the motherboard.
+1 on checking connectors and adequate wattage. Power supply & memory are two places to not economize IMO. Flakiness in either=flaky machine regardless of CPU, O.S. or anything else.

oldos2er
November 11th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Not an Ubuntu support question; moved to Community Cafe.

LowSky
November 12th, 2011, 12:56 AM
just buy a new case and power supply. recycling sucks, lol

3Miro
November 12th, 2011, 02:50 AM
As mick222 says, check the size of the motherboard and the watts of the power supply, as well as the connectors.

I had a new Gigabyte AMD motherboard inside of an old HP Intel case, all I had to do was to get a new power-supply.

argoz17
November 12th, 2011, 03:30 AM
So basically I might need a new power supply?

3Miro
November 12th, 2011, 04:10 AM
So basically I might need a new power supply?

If the motherboard fits, then yes a new power-supply is the most you might need.

jjex22
November 12th, 2011, 04:53 AM
As others have said, always check the power requirements of your components (and especially graphics card(s)). This calculator is a good rough guide:

http://www.coolermaster.outervision.com/

basically you want a good headroom on it - if you get a large psu it isn't going to force massive amounts of power down the rail into the mobo, but you have the headroom so you won't overload it. (overloading a psu is dangerous - it can cause them to short-out and blow, which can send large amounts of current down onto your mobo, causing damage to other components.

If you do decide that your new configuration needs more power, when buying a psu, conciser other upgrades you may make along the way - for example, many standard home desktops have around a 300-400W supply that will be ample for that system. However, say you add an expansion card and a couple of hard drives - you're best going for around 500w, and if you plan to upgrade the graphics card to a gaming capable card or a pair of sli/crossfire cards, you'll need a bigger supply again.

Basically make sure you have a clear plan of where you want to end up - i'd be surprised if a non gaming pc needed more than a 750W, but again it depends what your'e putting in there.

Other than wattage, make sure any psu will first fit your case, (you don't have a propriety or built in supply)and second that it has all the connectors you want -do you need 20 pin or 24 pin (mobo) how many sata drives do you need? how many floppy (used usually for media card readers etc. and officially called 4 pin molex) and how many graphics cards (these are the 6 pin, 6+2 pin or new 8 pin connectors.

As for the case so long as both boards are ATX, you shouldn't have any problems.