PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade or Not?

Robert the Kat
November 11th, 2011, 06:34 PM
On one desktop I have Ubuntu 10.10 installed. I have several programs that I use often. Each time at start up I am asked if I want to upgrade to Natty-Narwhal. I have looked over this version and it looks great. My question would be if I do upgrade does that mean other programs I have installed are over written and not available or they just will not work with the upgrade?

Hakunka-Matata
November 11th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Probably a combination of the two possibilities you pose. There have been so many threads about screwed-up, failed upgrades to oneiric-11.10 I've been afraid to use upgrades forever.
Now, just recently someone posted a reason and solution, which I haven't tried yet.

Upgrade Successfully to 11.10, oneiric:

add oneiric repositories to software sources before attempting upgrade.

your programs should be preserved, that does not guarantee your programs/apps will all work correctly with a new Release, some will have dependencies that may have problems at first.
Why not just "Try it" w/o upgrading, i.e. install it to a separate new partition, with a /home directory. Preserving your current OS.

Hakunka-Matata
November 11th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Oneiric repos open!
The development cycle is uninterrupted!

sudo sed -i 's/natty/oneiric/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude dist-upgrade

(You might want to save the natty-updates, natty-backports, natty-security, and natty-proposed repo lines in sources.list)

eric@kingfisher:~/Downloads$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=11.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=oneiric
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu oneiric (development branch)"
Last edited by Starks; April 28th, 2011 at 09:10 PM..

Robert the Kat
November 12th, 2011, 03:45 AM
Interesting. Thanks for the information.