PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 LTS Firefox 3.6

gamma1983
November 11th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I tried out the new ubuntu 11 and it was great, but gnome and unity didn't like my dual monitors. I went back to 10.04 because it was LTS. And yes my monitors worked. But why doesn't Firefox actually upgrade to latest and greatest automatically? :confused:

typhoon_tip
November 11th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Do this:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mozillateam/firefox-stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Welcome to Firefox 7.0.1 :popcorn:

PS: I actually still prefer Chrome, my personal 0.02$

3Miro
November 11th, 2011, 03:18 PM
I tried out the new ubuntu 11 and it was great, but gnome and unity didn't like my dual monitors. I went back to 10.04 because it was LTS. And yes my monitors worked. But why doesn't Firefox actually upgrade to latest and greatest automatically? :confused:

Each version of Ubuntu comes with its own set of software. You don't get newer software on an LTS release, if you constantly upgrade, then things will never get stable. If you upgrade Firefox, then you might as well upgrade Xorg and the kernel and then just add Unity and Gnome 3 and then you have 11.10.

There are ways to get newer software on an LTS release, all you have to do is look for unofficial PPA with whatever software you need. There are risks (just like anything you download from the Internet) and things may potentially get less stable, however, many people use the unofficial ppa and are pretty happy about it.

snowpine
November 11th, 2011, 03:19 PM
But why doesn't Firefox actually upgrade to latest and greatest automatically? :confused:

The post above answers "how" but as to "why" the answer is simple: Ubuntu 10.04 was released April 2010 and uses older, stable, well-tested software. It will never give you the "latest and greatest automatically" and in fact that's why a lot of people choose to use 10.04 LTS. :)

gamma1983
November 11th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Thanks, typhoon_tip!

gamma1983
November 11th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Each version of Ubuntu comes with its own set of software. You don't get newer software on an LTS release, if you constantly upgrade, then things will never get stable. If you upgrade Firefox, then you might as well upgrade Xorg and the kernel and then just add Unity and Gnome 3 and then you have 11.10.

Just because I want an updated third party web browser I should just say "screw it" and update my entire system?

yopnono
November 11th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Just download the firefox from mozilla.com

snowpine
November 11th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Just because I want an updated third party web browser I should just say "screw it" and update my entire system?

Did you try typhoon-tip's instructions before ranting? You don't need to update your entire system to 11.10, just add a PPA repository to get the latest Firefox in 10.04.

typhoon_tip
November 11th, 2011, 03:50 PM

What he says is partly true. Some software sources tend to overwrite system files and mess systems up, and personally I would never suggest them. Firefox and Thunderbird are however a notable exception to the rule :P, as they install only their brilliant software and nothing more.

mikewhatever
November 11th, 2011, 03:54 PM

You could do that, but whether you should is up to you to decide.

I don't know why you think Firefox is a third party browser to Ubuntu. It's the default browser, and is rather tightly integrated with the desktop.

gamma1983
November 11th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Did you try typhoon-tip's instructions before ranting? You don't need to update your entire system to 11.10, just add a PPA repository to get the latest Firefox in 10.04.

Yes, and I've already said "Thank You". Ranting? Apparently wanting a updated browser on a stable system is a LTS sin.

I don't know why you think Firefox is a third party browser to Ubuntu. It's the default browser, and is rather tightly integrated with the desktop. How is the browser that is shipped with Ubuntu tightly integrated? Two different companies am I right? Does anybody remember how IE6 and XP was integrated and what security risk it imposed on that platform? That is called integration. The browser was written by the same company that wrote OS. IE6 where so integrated that you could not remove it because it was truly part of the system.

Look at all the chaos that emerges if you challenge any type of thinking other than what you are told on this forum.

Just wanted a simple answer, which I got from typhoon_tip, thanks again.
Actually, you know what I give up. I will go back to windows (dual monitor support, oh god how did they ever figure that out). And I can have an updated browser experience.

lovinglinux
November 11th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Please read Firefox 8 & Beyond Mega Thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1712247). It explains everything.

yopnono
November 11th, 2011, 05:05 PM
You could do that, but whether you should is up to you to decide.

I don't know why you think Firefox is a third party browser to Ubuntu. It's the default browser, and is rather tightly integrated with the desktop.

Well, I would say it not tightly integrated with the desktop.
You can easily remove the firefox folder/content and it will not brake anything well.. maybe the yelp if you are really unlucky.

snowpine
November 11th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Yes, and I've already said "Thank You". Ranting? Apparently wanting a updated browser on a stable system is a LTS sin.

It is not a "sin." It's an easy 30-second procedure to install the browser of your choice. Which you have already done, right? You have the browser you want, situation Solved?

10.04 = April 2010. Firefox 3.6 was the current version of Firefox in April 2010 when Lucid was released. I don't know why this fact offends you so...

SVEN1
November 11th, 2011, 11:42 PM
I have been having trouble lately with 10.04 FireFox 3.6 loading pages slowly or freeze for about 5 seconds then go back to normal.

Upgraded to 7.01 using the instruction from this website:
http://palupix.blogspot.com/2011/10/how-to-install-firefox-7-in-ubuntu-1004.html

It was so easy and FireFox 7 works great, no more problems.