PDA

View Full Version : Flash: Adobe begins to use web platform that Apple approves.

AmpersUK
November 11th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Looks interesting, from Adobe in City A.M. (http://www.cityam.com/news-and-analysis/adobe-bows-apple-flash)

Ampers

LowSky
November 11th, 2011, 09:34 AM
wow thats not even a full article explaining why Adobe is doing what it is doing.

It fails to mention adobe is cutting jobs because fewer are buying their web tools. its also cutting mobile phone developement not because of Apple, but the fact that many users can't really use full size web pages on their phones. Many mobile site use stationary adds so the pages load quicker.

The guy who wrote the article took one piece of news and another, then had an poor eureka moment. People have to stop giving Apple credit for ideas outside their odd company. Yes Apple made it's products not run a web standard.

Adobe is moving to HTML5 not just because of Apple. Companies like Mozilla and Google had much more sway in this decision. Plus Flash is 15 years old. Adobe purchased Flash years ago to fill a needed piece of its portfolio, now that piece isn't returning much profit, so they are dumping a small segment of their business. The normal PC market is still going to use flash.

AmpersUK
November 11th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Adobe is moving to HTML5 not just because of Apple. Companies like Mozilla and Google had much more sway in this decision. Plus Flash is 15 years old. Adobe purchased Flash years ago to fill a needed piece of its portfolio, now that piece isn't returning much profit, so they are dumping a small segment of their business. The normal PC market is still going to use flash.

This is interesting, but are you including Linux with the last sentence in the above quote or will we be released from having to use it?

Grenage
November 11th, 2011, 09:55 AM
It's free world; we don't have to use it now. Unsurprisingly, most people probably like Flash - even if they don't know what it is.

mörgæs
November 11th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Changed the title to a more descriptive one.

LinuxFan999
November 13th, 2011, 04:56 PM
I hope Adobe doesn't make it's own proprietary version of HTML5, like how Microsoft made a proprietary version of Java.

Unfortanately, Adobe and Microsoft are both part of the W3C, which created HTML5, so I would like to see a web platform that doesn't involve Microsoft or Adobe come out(Not including Java), since I would like to avoid both companies as much as possible.

Paqman
November 13th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I would like to see a web platform that doesn't involve Microsoft or Adobe come out

I wouldn't. Any standard that wasn't supported by Microsoft would be a dead duck.

Ok, you could argue that their support for current web standards is somewhat lacking, but that's sort of the point. To a large degree web standards are only able to move forward at the pace Microsoft lets them.

Apple aren't really very influential in the traditional PC space, but they're very strong in the mobile web, so it's good that they're supporting open standards there fairly strongly.

LinuxFan999
November 13th, 2011, 07:43 PM
I wouldn't. Any standard that wasn't supported by Microsoft would be a dead duck.

Ok, you could argue that their support for current web standards is somewhat lacking, but that's sort of the point. To a large degree web standards are only able to move forward at the pace Microsoft lets them.

Apple aren't really very influential in the traditional PC space, but they're very strong in the mobile web, so it's good that they're supporting open standards there fairly strongly.
The problem with standards supported by Microsoft is that Microsoft could try to prevent other platforms from supporting them, especially those which are not just supported by, but created by Microsoft (example: Microsoft's discontinued proprietary version of Java). However, if Microsoft did that, they would likely be sued by the DOJ.