PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Unexpected end of file

MaxRabbit
November 11th, 2011, 04:00 AM
I'm having a heck of a time running a very simple script I wrote. I keep getting "line 17: syntax error: unexpected end of file." Any idea why this would be happening? It works on Red Hat, the OS my school is using that I am creating this script for, but I would really like to be able to do my "homework" at home.

Thanks,
max

#Command moves file to a temporary wastebasket
#Script uses first parameter as the file to be trashed.
#Script must be installed in bin directory.
#
#Step 1 - The directory named wastebasket is to be created in
#the user's home directory if it does not already exist.
#Home Directory's wastebasket
#$HOME/wastebasket
wastebasket=$HOME/wastebasket
if [ -d $wastebasket ]
then
echo "wastebasket exists"
else
echo "wastebasket does not exist"
fi

trivialpackets
November 11th, 2011, 04:21 AM
I can't speak to what the problem is, the syntax looked good when I looked at it, and then it in fact did run just fine on my ubuntu system.

~ Eric

papibe
November 11th, 2011, 04:25 AM
Is that the whole script? I don't see a line 17, it seems 15 lines long.

Try removing empty lines after the end of the code. Also, it may be a binary character you type by mistake (and hidden from the editor). Use 'cat' with the option -v to check for non-printing characters:

cat -v yourscrtipt.sh
Hope it helps.
Regards.

MaxRabbit
November 11th, 2011, 04:36 AM
Is that the whole script? I don't see a line 17, it seems 15 lines long.

Try removing empty lines after the end of the code. Also, it may be a binary character you type by mistake (and hidden from the editor). Use 'cat' with the option -v to check for non-printing characters:

cat -v yourscrtipt.sh
Hope it helps.
Regards.
Thanks papibe. I see a bunch of "^M" characters :confused:

ju2wheels
November 11th, 2011, 09:05 AM
1. ^M characters means you probably wrote/edited it on a Windows machine and transferred it to a Linux machine, its a Windows endline. Run the file through the 'dos2unix' program. Alternatively, if you had opened the file in Windows and it shows up all on one line or has 'block' characters in it for endlines, run it through 'unix2dos' so it looks right on Windows.
2. Make a habit of adding a shebang as the first line of your scripts, so add '#!/bin/sh' or '#!/bin/bash' as the first line of your script.

MaxRabbit
November 11th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Thanks guys :) Very helpful! And yes, I did begin writing the scripts on my Dropbox on a Windows machine, so that explains everything!