PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Getting an icon on the desktop

rfbeck
November 11th, 2011, 12:17 AM
I use Gnome classic (as opposed to Unity). I would like to put some icons on the desktop. How can I do this? Thanks.

An Sanct
November 11th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Have you tried right-clicking on the item in the menu, you would like to have as a shortcut on the desktop and selecting "Add this launcher to desktop"?

rfbeck
November 22nd, 2011, 02:57 PM
I have tried that, but it doesn't seem to work. When I right click on an icon in the menu, it simply launches the program.
Any further help?
______
Robert

hhh
November 22nd, 2011, 03:26 PM
I don't use Oneiric, so this might have changed, but right-click the desktop, there should be a menu item to "Create Launcher". Then you can enter the name (ex: Banshee), the command (banshee should be enough, or you can use the full path /usr/bin/banshee) and choose an icon (usually in /usr/share/pixmaps or /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps).

rfbeck
November 22nd, 2011, 08:45 PM
Nope, that doesn't do it either, but thanks. I'm using Gnome Classic, and it seems to have lost a certain amount to functionality, much to my dismay.
_______
Robert

rfbeck
November 23rd, 2011, 04:50 PM
What I found works for me is to "left" click and drag an icon from the top panel menus.
______
Robert

jimmydean886-2
November 23rd, 2011, 06:13 PM
First off, GNOME needs to know that you want desktop icons. To get these, you need the GNOME Tweak Tool.

you can find it in the software center as "Advanced Settings" or type in a command line:

~$ sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-toolThen, launch it from Applications>>Accessories>>Advanced Settings.
go into the desktop screen on the sidebar and move the slider that has Nautilus (the file manager) handle the desktop.

Now, open a file browser window. DO NOT OPEN IT WITH SUDO.
Navigate to /usr/share/applications

Copy and paste whatever you want to your desktop folder, and you're all set.

rfbeck
November 24th, 2011, 10:02 AM
That worked great. Thank you.

______
Robert