PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nautilus toolbar gone

Jmckeen
November 10th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Hi, Recently I was working with Nautilus (Ubuntu's file manager) and I accidentally unchecked the "main toolbar" option leaving me barley any control (I already had the "menu bar" option off) Is there any way to get the controls back? :(

Jmckeen

BillyBoa
November 11th, 2011, 12:05 AM
I don't understand exactly what is happening but you can open again nautilus opening a terminal with "ctrl alt T" and then write

nautilus

Jmckeen
November 11th, 2011, 12:21 AM
Here is a screenshot to show what I mean.

(Yes I do have a theme.)

Orfintain
November 11th, 2011, 01:32 AM
once you have opened said teminal you can type gnome-panel to bring back gnome-panal. Is that what you mean ?

Jmckeen
November 11th, 2011, 01:52 AM
Not sure. I mean the Back/Forward buttons and the navigation bar thing.

Frogs Hair
November 11th, 2011, 02:18 AM
If that is Nautilus Elementary on Classic Ubuntu try right clicking up near the title bar and see if a context menu opens . I thought there was a right click customize option .

Jmckeen
November 11th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Nope, now that there are no toolbars at the top its either really hard to find the right spot or there is none to right click. I'm stumped :(

BillyBoa
November 11th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Try something else

hit ctr H to see your hidden files and go to /home/.config/nautilus
and rename the directory nautilus to e.g. nautilus1
Then log of, log on and use nautilus to see if the configuration was killed. If not rename again the directory to it's original name and ask for another solution.

Frogs Hair
November 11th, 2011, 04:44 PM
did you try restarting nautilus
nautilus -q

Here is a post about Elementary Nautilus with some of the key bindings and features described .http://www.webupd8.org/2011/03/install-nautilus-elementary-2322-in.html

I discovered two posts on different forums describing the same problem . One person had to reinstall nautilus and the other was using an incompatible theme and was unable restore hidden items because the right click context menu would not work .

stinkeye
November 11th, 2011, 05:20 PM
For 11.10...
In terminal

gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.window-state start-with-toolbar true
Will bring it into view on the fly even with nautilus open.